The Relativism of Historical Truth

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: The Relativism of Historical Truth

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I feel like I'd be more likely to Google the historical context if the story in question refers to a particular well-known historical figure (da Vinci, in this instance). With landmarks/landscapes or locations, it's always possible to imagine that there might *once* have been a grand mansion on a hill or something, but it doesn't exist anymore because it was burned down in an unrecorded fire, etc :P With extensively-documented historical figures, it's harder to fudge convincingly--although definitely possible!

Bottom line is, if the author is convincing enough, I won't really mind. XD
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Actually, some things we believe to be true are just a composition of myths and lies. I don't see anything wrong in googling an historical fact to assess the truth behind an information.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Yes, If the book really piques my interest, then i will google its content to know the relativity between fiction and truth.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

The information that we read from the current histories told, for me is not the actual event that actually happens.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes I think that it would be very interesting in googling some of the names and places of which are presented within this book. Though, yet as mentioned within the topic even with googling such things how many facts and how much of the information that is presented passed down cover ups
Chelsea N. Hackett
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

What interesting questions you pose! I did Google a number of the galleries and places mentioned in the book and learned some interesting things as a consequence. Of course, we can never really know the past, only make "educated" assumptions. Propaganda is always abundant in any culture.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

I think history is more subjective than we would ever admit. All of us create, change, cover-up, adjust, or tweak whatever life throws at us, and that's how we survive. We are creating history every day. We view past history through our subjective perspectives and learn from it or reject it. No one would understand our motives or actions in the exact spirit we lived in when we are looked upon as history.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

Isn't it ironic to be questioning historical fact and fiction while being tempted to google to find out what is true? If what we understand about history is shrouded in misconception then how do we distinguish which source gives the real, unadulterated truth about the past? How do we navigate the "wikipedia" that is our history books?
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I generally trust that specific places and history is correctly represented in a historical fiction novel. But, there are times when I will do some research, especially if I want to know more. Those are the best types of books, I think, that inspire me to learn more.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I often google historical information to get an idea of what happened in the past. But history, even when seeming factual, is often not objective; one may also have to consider the viewpoint of the author, the purpose for the writing, and cultural perspectives.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Yes, fact checking is important but for some reason the Uffizi didnt really bother me.

Although, I have a real pet peeve with Disney who changes facts in their programs geared toward children. You know how many kids are growing up that think John Smith and Pocahontas were married?
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

I think any accurate version of historical events is pretty hard to come by, as you have to take into consideration the views and opinions of the person writing it. In many cases history is written by the victor, and of course they would wish to cast themselves in the best light possible, so they may wish to exclude events or gloss them over when it’s contrary to how they want to be seen.
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

I agree, “if you’re going to use real things, be accurate.” Personally, I don’t like reading things that are meant to be real, that aren’t accurate. I love history. I love accuracy. If anyone writes something like this, I usually go to google and do “fact checks.”
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I honestly have thought about doing the research in the novel, but what she said also made me think about life in general as well.

It really does make you wonder. About everything. Especially because as time goes on, it seems the government likes to rewrite history based on what they want people to know versus what they don't want people to know.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 16:34 Visiting the Uffizi Gallery, Angela tackles the issue of whether the missing painting belongs to Leonardo da Vinci or not. As she learns the real story of the painting, she ponders on the relativism of historical truth: “It makes you wonder how many other things we consider true about the past are shadowed in misconceptions and cover-ups.”

What are your views on the matter? Would you be tempted to google some historical names and places in the novel to distinguish between fact and fiction?
I always wish the author would make it clear to the readers if what they are stating is historically correct or not. The genre of historical fiction seems to mix up fact with fiction, which makes me want to google things to find out what is fact from fiction. But then again your discussion is about the relativism of historical truth, so can we really get to the truth? These things make me ponder this issue.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”