The Relativism of Historical Truth

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: The Relativism of Historical Truth

Post by KMSingh »

I guess I'm not sure what she meant by the relativism of historical truth. I minored in history for my BA and had to study this thing called historiography. Historians know that new evidence can come to light at any time. Also, that even primary sources can be unreliable. So you have to take various things into account when studying any historical figure or event.

I think art history is especially prone to getting in a rut about certain theories about artists, their works, or what it all means. I remember the controversy that erupted around the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel when it was cleaned a few years ago. For generations, art historians had been basing their understanding of Michelangelo's paintings on works that hadn't been cleaned. Quite a few of them got their noses out of joint when the ceiling was revealed in all its brightness.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 16:34 Visiting the Uffizi Gallery, Angela tackles the issue of whether the missing painting belongs to Leonardo da Vinci or not. As she learns the real story of the painting, she ponders on the relativism of historical truth: “It makes you wonder how many other things we consider true about the past are shadowed in misconceptions and cover-ups.”

What are your views on the matter? Would you be tempted to google some historical names and places in the novel to distinguish between fact and fiction?
Hi Cristinaro -

Sometimes, I also ponder on the relativism of historical truth. After all, history is written by the victors.

I chuckled at your mention of google, by the way. Before I read your posted topic, I did try to verify some of the historical names and places. Instead of learning history in school, I realized that I enjoy learning history by reading and watching historical fiction; and then, I would verify everything shortly afterwards.

So, based on my cursory research into our recorded history, Lorenzo and Giuliano de Medici were real. Simonetta Vespucci was also alive in the 1400s. As for Giuliano's death, his mistress (Fioretta Gorini), and his son (Pope Clement VII) are also facts.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

History is not only written by the victors, but also the rich. Things they want us to believe, truth or not. Someone once said if you tell a lie long enough and loud enough the people will believe it. I have seen that happen, and the outcome was not good.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:44 I actually plan to Google the historical details. But I know that recorded history may not be accurate. The powers-that-be can and do dictate history.
True, history can be inacurate and influenced. This was a major tool used by colonialists in the tussle for power, to tweak history. Afterall a person who has no history will believe what he is told about himself.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

As the saying goes, history is written by the victors.
I do sometimes come across events or objects in books (and movies and TV shows) that I google to see if they are real.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I would, not only because the author intrigued this question, but also from my past experience with books. Many a times, the information given in the books are incorrect or outdated. I am not blaming any author per se, because sometimes they also have the wrong facts! It's better to google this stuff up.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I can’t say I really care that much what is fact and what is fiction. As far as the story goes, I would say the painting should stay in the family. It was technically stolen by Sophia’s fiancé. This I can believe is a possibility. So many paintings went missing during WW 2. Yes many were destroyed or recovered. However, there are still many that just disappeared. Who knows? Someone could have a treasure hidden in their attic and don’t even know it.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Author's including historical details need thorough research and work. It is disappointing to find historic fiction inaccurate to all levels.
Trashford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trashford »

Of course I would, infact i already did. I crossed referenced the Uffizi Museum, and I found out that it was a real place, the Getty museum is also a real place and to my surprise these two locations exist till date. Hats off to the author's originality
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I had some doubt on some of the historical content of this book but I did not want to interrupt the fun and flow of the story and that which I have not checked google. I will definitely do that after reading this book.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”