Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Post by chelhack »

I think that Angela's connections to Fioretta and Sophie could be both a gift and cures. That is because she is in a form living out the words that Giuliano said to Fioretta on their wedding day. "This life will never divide us. I will love you today, tomorrow and into eternity. This wedding picture will speak of our love long after we have passed." Within this book, Angela has gotten to experience that love three different times or feel a love so strong that it was immortal though coming back in form of different people yet still have that bond so strong. Though the first two times the men were killed right in front of her is a curse in itself but the last time she did get it right.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

She seems to be a lot troubled by it so it is a curse. It all depends on how you look at it. A problem would not be a problem unless you look at it as a problem. Besides why run after visions they may tend to leave messages but that does not mean you should go after it and land in unwanted trouble.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I would think it a gift if I could see my past lives. I would like to know who I was in a past life. I do understand why Angela believes it a curse. It caused her a lot of problems
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Amcdanel86 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 13:33 I would think it a gift if I could see my past lives. I would like to know who I was in a past life. I do understand why Angela believes it a curse. It caused her a lot of problems
I think one of the key aspects of the curse versus gift debate is that they were completely uncontrollable. Angela couldn't choose when, how, or for how long the visions would over take her, leaving her physical self potentially in harms way. Even if they were limited to being dreams that she saw when she slept, that for me would have shifted a little farther away from being labeled a curse because her safety wouldn't have been in so much jeopardy.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 18:24 Well, I'm going to go with they were a blessing in disguise. Angela is whisked away from her humdrum daily life of art, overbearing peers and pervert boss into a life of adventure, love, fabulous wealth, great sex and professional recognition. Sure she passes out, freaks out, and almost gets raped and killed, but hey life ends up grand in the end.
Hahaha I love the positive attitude displayed in this review. Heck she even got to witness Sophia and Gerhard sharing an intimate moment. Are you a peeping Tom if it's a past version of yourself you are watching????

I wonder if Alex would have declared her to be worthy as an art detective partner if she had actually had to research and find real clues about the location of the painting. Every valuable piece of info came from the visions. Without them, she would have pretty much been useless to Alex.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

lesler wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 12:54 I think it made the story. It was not fully clear to me how the artwork transferred from Fioretta to Sophia-I must have missed that part.
Fioretta told Giuliano's mother, Lucrezia, to take care of her son and take the painting when she knew she was going to die in childbirth. The painting was kept in the Medici's collection until that collection was donated to the Uffizi where Sophia worked. The Medici Collection was at the Uffizi since 1769. That's how her and Gerhard came across it. Gerhard chose to smuggle it out during WWII because he didn't think it would be preserved due to it not being contributed to a great artist.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

kfwilson6 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:28
lesler wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 12:54 I think it made the story. It was not fully clear to me how the artwork transferred from Fioretta to Sophia-I must have missed that part.
Fioretta told Giuliano's mother, Lucrezia, to take care of her son and take the painting when she knew she was going to die in childbirth. The painting was kept in the Medici's collection until that collection was donated to the Uffizi where Sophia worked. The Medici Collection was at the Uffizi since 1769. That's how her and Gerhard came across it. Gerhard chose to smuggle it out during WWII because he didn't think it would be preserved due to it not being contributed to a great artist.
Thank you!
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I think Angela connection is a curse because it causes her problems and wears and tears on her.
I think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I have to agree that her connection with her past lives is more of a curse than a blessing. I value free will very highly, and I can't help but believe that Angela's situation holds her back from living her life, even if she did get to meet Alex because of it.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

It's completely unbelievable, of course. But if such a gift was possible, I would say this one manifests as a bit of a curse because of the blackouts that are caused by it. If her past lives/psychic visions came in the form of evening dreams or even just a few flashes of insight here and there, it would be a much better gift. The blackouts pose quite a danger. After all, during one of them, a complete strangers kisses her passionately, and she doesn't remember it happening. One can imagine what other things could happen to her without her knowledge.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The visions that Angela has are merely another tool at her disposal, although in this case, we are talking about one that not many people possess. In the end, it depends on how she uses these visions or how much she feels tormented by them to determine whether they are a gift or a curse. In my opinion, these visions are a gift to her, since they allowed her to find both the painting she was looking for and the love of her life.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Past life regressions were definitely a curse for her. It put her in a series of trouble. The only thing she found through it was her love. But this was also possible without getting through this hectic effort in the wake of those past life regressions.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dael Reader wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 15:00 It's completely unbelievable, of course. But if such a gift was possible, I would say this one manifests as a bit of a curse because of the blackouts that are caused by it. If her past lives/psychic visions came in the form of evening dreams or even just a few flashes of insight here and there, it would be a much better gift. The blackouts pose quite a danger. After all, during one of them, a complete strangers kisses her passionately, and she doesn't remember it happening. One can imagine what other things could happen to her without her knowledge.
If it had been Scordato who kissed her I don't think she would have been saying "I wish I could remember it." The story would have taken a completely different turn had it not been Angela's "perfect guy" who kissed her when he didn't even know her.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

KRay93 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 18:38 The visions that Angela has are merely another tool at her disposal, although in this case, we are talking about one that not many people possess. In the end, it depends on how she uses these visions or how much she feels tormented by them to determine whether they are a gift or a curse. In my opinion, these visions are a gift to her, since they allowed her to find both the painting she was looking for and the love of her life.
Maria seems to have some insight about this tool of Angela's so I wonder if Maria will be able to help her control the visions. I also wonder if Maria knows of another/others who have this ability.

The series could really go in quite a few directions. Angela could have more past lives that she can "visit." Ami may be able to provide an avenue for Angela to have visions of people who were not her past selves. Angela may find others who have visions and the series could follow them instead.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

SABRADLEY wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 10:16 I think Angela's past life regression is distinctly a curse! The experiences are traumatizing at times, confusing, and has changed who she is as a person. Even though she meets Alex, I feel like the bad outweigh the good.
I also feel its a curse, but was at times a gidt for sure....i agree that the bad outweighed the good however

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”