Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Although Angela Renatus claims she does not believe in fate, she finds herself swept off her feet by the irresistible attraction she feels for Alex Caine, a man she barely knows.

Do you think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed in the novel?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

She gets in to a hell of trouble due the past life regression. If not for her visions, her life would have been smooth and uneventful. Unless she thinks all the trouble is a gift, I feel it as a curse for her
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Sushan wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:43 She gets in to a hell of trouble due the past life regression. If not for her visions, her life would have been smooth and uneventful. Unless she thinks all the trouble is a gift, I feel it as a curse for her
Yes, but she also meets the love of her life due to her visions. More than that, she realizes she can change her fate and she actually does it in the end. Besides, wouldn't you like to know who you were in your past lives?
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 00:20
Sushan wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:43 She gets in to a hell of trouble due the past life regression. If not for her visions, her life would have been smooth and uneventful. Unless she thinks all the trouble is a gift, I feel it as a curse for her
Yes, but she also meets the love of her life due to her visions. More than that, she realizes she can change her fate and she actually does it in the end. Besides, wouldn't you like to know who you were in your past lives?
Yeah, it might be interesting just to know it. But if it troubles the serenity of my current life, then I would not think of it as a blessing
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Sushan wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 11:02
Yeah, it might be interesting just to know it. But if it troubles the serenity of my current life, then I would not think of it as a blessing
I guess you are closer to Angela than me. She also considers it a curse throughout most part of the novel. As far as I am concerned, I'd love to know who I was in my past lives at least for one simple reason. I'd thus know I'd still have the chance to live a future life. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think Angela's connection to her past lives was a curse throughout the novel. It put her in danger and constantly interrupted her life. In the beginning of the story, she would often have blackouts at her job. She also had blackouts when she and Alex were in Italy. Sure, the visions helped Angela solve the mystery of the painting, but I think they were more problematic than beneficial.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:21 Although Angela Renatus claims she does not believe in fate, she finds herself swept off her feet by the irresistible attraction she feels for Alex Caine, a man she barely knows.

Do you think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed in the novel?
I think her connection is a curse. She has an irresistible attraction for Alex, to the extent she kisses him and converses without knowledge. That by itself is the stuff of nightmares. As the story progresses, she turns from a highly educated, strong woman into a weepy ghost of her former self. By the end of the story, Angela is hardly recognizable anymore.

I do not think either Fioretta or Sophia are portrayed credibly. Neither woman fit what would have been demanded of women in those time periods, but this novel was never meant to be strictly realistic. I have never met an old Italian man who would allow a female family member to go off by herself to a city, especially during war. Sophia's brothers would never have allowed her to stay in Florence during the war.

Assuming past selves are true, ignorance is the only thing that would save us from their faults. Angela may have found a painting, but she also agitated and upset an old woman to do so. Angela is even groped by the ghost of her past self's lover. Her knowledge of the past seems to bring no peace, despite the author insisting at the end that this is a gift, not a curse.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html

Post by K Geisinger »

If Angela's story is an example of how past life regression will play out for us all, I think this curse is something most people can live without. I agree with Sushan that her life would have been less eventful and that this is a curse. She was attracted to Alex at the bar before she knew about her past life, and may have come to know him without the supernatural element.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think it depends on how you look at it. Some may think that a simple, uneventful life is a curse because they do not life boredom. They may instead view everything that happened to Angela as an adventure. Others may prefer a quiet, uneventful life. It's more about perspective than anything else.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

It's hard to tell whether this would be a gift or a curse; I guess it would depend on how she feels about. I think it could help her to grow as a person in her current time though.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

just from everyones comments there really doesn't seem to be much of an upside to the connection.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html

Post by briellejee »

I think it is both. Everything has its pros and cons anyway. But with Angela's, i think it is a little tipped over to the cursed one.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I think her visions from her past is a curse. It makes her go through so much trouble even though they help in solving the puzzle about the missing painting.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Angela's connection is a curse because of the burden it places on her in her relationship with others. It also traumatizing being molested by a former lover's ghost. Her infatuation with Alex could only further confirm her confused state of mind.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think Angela's past life regression is distinctly a curse! The experiences are traumatizing at times, confusing, and has changed who she is as a person. Even though she meets Alex, I feel like the bad outweigh the good.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”