Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I don't think that it was unethical. But yeah I guess it has been highly used for increasing the sales of the book.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I guess it's a version of click bait for books like they do on internet videos. For those history buffs who love reading about da Vinci, this would immediately grab their attention. It's a smart ploy and the author needs to do what they can to grab the readers attention. However, it is not just a ploy in that his character's actions are integral to the plot of the story.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think it was because the painting they were searching for was a DaVinci . I think it may have caught the attention of more readers/buyers since DaVinci is so well known and familiar
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

the name leonardo davinchi has a great attraction as a scientist from the Renaissance era, who doesn't know Davinchi, I think many people know about it and this is a magnet for the title of a book.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It can be considered as a marketing strategy to include Da Vinci's name in the title for he is world renowned person. But, we can't fault the author for this as the missing painting was done by Da Vinci and it's the piece holding the threads together.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

The author of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" is using da Vinci's name as a marketing strategy but it is not unethical. The plot of the book revolves around the lost da Vinci painting, but anything from da Vinci's life was not even discussed. The title is a bit misleading as to what a reader first think upon reading the title and what he could read in the contents.
dcw
Favorite Author: Louisa May Alcott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcw.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
fav_author_id: 332

Post by dcw »

I don't think that it's unethical to use da Vinci's name on the cover. I think it was used to reference the missing painting in the storyline. But, I guess, it certainly wouldn't hurt marketing either! :lol:
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I think da Vinci's name there is simply used as an attention grabber. Since the story is centred around the artist's missing work, it may be a fitting marketing strategy. I had also hoped the book would be about day Vinci's art, but instead it is a romance.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I think using da Vinci in the title works with the plot, and yes it is also marketing. Marketing isn't necessarily unethical. I was more bothered by all the Harry Potter rip-offs that appeared after the success of the first book. Did you know that there are publishers that hire people to write books like that? Sometimes they are teams of people. Often these publishers are called book packagers and their sole purpose is to make money. But I digress. This book also takes advantage of "The Girl Who (or With)..." books. But I never felt like the title was gratuitous or didn't relate to the story, and I did feel that the story was original, not just a rehash of The Da Vinci Code.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Whether the name of Da-Vinci was there as a marketing strategy or not, I don't think it is a completely bad Idea. There have been a lot of books using that name and there will be a lot more so there is nothing unethical about it.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I think it's ethical, as there were enough references to Da Vinci's work in the book to name it after him. And regarding the marketing strategy, it's done a pretty good job- it got my attention at least. So, I would consider it as an ethical marketing strategy.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don’t think it’s unethical. The mystery was centered around Leonardo da Vinci’s painting, so I actually think it’s quite fitting.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I think using Da Vinci's name helps draw readers to the book. I see everyone comparing it to Dan Brown's book, and I understand some of it, but the only relevance is the name Da Vinci. I for one was interested in this book, but have never been drawn to Dan Brown's. I don't think that using his name is unethical, especially since one of his paintings is what ties the story together. I understand the person that posted this question's point of view and if you wanted to dig deep, the author probably did use the name for marketing strategy. But no, I don't believe it was/is unethical in any way.
Stacey Harkins 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacey-harkins-1.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Stacey Harkins 1 »

I thought it was perfect. The entire story revolves around a lost DaVinci painting. So that is a great title!
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I think that yes, having Leonardo da Vinci's name on the cover is a potential marketing strategy. People will see it and books with similar covers (colors, and names) will come to mind, making them pick it up. But his painting was the central mystery of this book, so it seemed fitting to have his name on the cover.
“Just keep swimming.”

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”