Your favorite scene

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Your favorite scene

Post by Manang Muyang »

Belle Ami paints a lot of memorable scenes in this story. The three love affairs, Leonardo's role, and the luxurious locations are rich with luscious images.

My favorite scene is Fioretta in the throes of childbirth. I found the narrative and dialogue very entertaining.

Which scene do you like best?
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I would have to say the introduction to the Tuscan vineyard. It was by far the best done descriptive scene in the book. I felt a lack of background description in the novel so that one stands out.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, that's a good one for the imagination. I was half-hoping for a scene where the lovers would be stomping on grapes ala "A Walk in the Clouds."
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I would say the scene in the Getty Museum where Alex found Angela talking to the Medici painting. It was very unexpected and magical that the man in the painting opened his eyes, turned his face, and looked at Angela. After a flash of light came out of the painting, Angela told Alex in Italian that she loved him and kissed him. This was despite Alex being a stranger to her. Although I admit I rolled my eyes a little, the scene was vividly described and I felt like I was right there. Once I read this scene, I started thinking the book would make a good movie.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, that scene was vividly portrayed. I found the Giuliano portrait on the Net and could imagine how the figure moved from his pose. Yup, the power of words at work!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You're ten steps ahead of me! When I read the book, I wasn't sure if all of the details about the Medici family were correct. I just googled Giuliano Medici and it turns out he really had a illegitimate son with his mistress Fioretta, and his son grew up to become Pope Clement VII.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I like to know those little details. I also found out that there was indeed a clandestine wedding between Guiliano and Fioretta. But I found no info about a wedding portrait. Fioretta was alleged to be a courtesan and a cousin of Guiliano. There is further speculation that Fioretta might be the Mona Lisa!

While in the book, Leonardo introduced Fioretta to the Medicis, the info I found seems to show that Fioretta did not know Leonardo as closely.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 03:39 I like to know those little details. I also found out that there was indeed a clandestine wedding between Guiliano and Fioretta. But I found no info about a wedding portrait. Fioretta was alleged to be a courtesan and a cousin of Guiliano. There is further speculation that Fioretta might be the Mona Lisa!

While in the book, Leonardo introduced Fioretta to the Medicis, the info I found seems to show that Fioretta did not know Leonardo as closely.
I just assumed the wedding portrait/unattributable painting was fictional as well as the close friendship between Fioretta and Leonardo.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

bookowlie wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 20:20 You're ten steps ahead of me! When I read the book, I wasn't sure if all of the details about the Medici family were correct. I just googled Giuliano Medici and it turns out he really had a illegitimate son with his mistress Fioretta, and his son grew up to become Pope Clement VII.
Very interesting! I am not knowledgeable when it comes to art or the history behind it. I had just assumed that this story was all made up. I may have to do some googling myself!
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 03:39 I like to know those little details. I also found out that there was indeed a clandestine wedding between Guiliano and Fioretta. But I found no info about a wedding portrait. Fioretta was alleged to be a courtesan and a cousin of Guiliano. There is further speculation that Fioretta might be the Mona Lisa!

I'm glad I'm not the oddball here...while I was reading this story, I kept having thoughts pop into my head like 'Hmmm, is the author hinting that Fioretta is actually Mona Lisa??' I thought at the time that maybe I needed to take a break from reading the book LOL
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I don't have one yet. I hope to do soon. I'd like to read the book. My appetite is seriously wetted.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 19:47 I would say the scene in the Getty Museum where Alex found Angela talking to the Medici painting. It was very unexpected and magical that the man in the painting opened his eyes, turned his face, and looked at Angela. After a flash of light came out of the painting, Angela told Alex in Italian that she loved him and kissed him. This was despite Alex being a stranger to her. Although I admit I rolled my eyes a little, the scene was vividly described and I felt like I was right there. Once I read this scene, I started thinking the book would make a good movie.
This scene really set the stage for the rest of the story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

That is true. I just went back to my copy and noted that the video footage which Scordato reviewed did not show Giuliano nor record his voice. Only Alex and Angela saw and heard Giuliano. What I don't know is whether the video would have shown Angela's green eyes. Well, I'm thinking too much. LOL!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

bookowlie wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 20:20 You're ten steps ahead of me! When I read the book, I wasn't sure if all of the details about the Medici family were correct. I just googled Giuliano Medici and it turns out he really had a illegitimate son with his mistress Fioretta, and his son grew up to become Pope Clement VII.
That's a cool little fact. Thanks!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I enjoyed the scene in which Sophia goes to the cave where all of the wine bottles are stored. It was a very emotional scene where I really felt the pain of her loss of Gerhard. It was difficult, but well written.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”