DownNDirty

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: DownNDirty

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Libs_Books wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 13:35 The problem of how to describe sexual activity, including references to people's private parts is arguably more difficult in English than in other languages. The only words available are either medical, crude or childish... or crude and childish. D.H. Lawrence tried to address that problem in Lady Chatterley's Lover. He chose to use the everyday language of the ordinary working man, and the result was that the work was banned under the Obscene Publications Act until 1963. Seems like that problem is still with us, particularly when it comes to women's private parts.
I think you have made a good point here. There is no good solution at this point.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I've read quite a bit of romance in my time and to me, the sex scenes specifically fell flat. They just seemed very generic and I agree with the critique of the use of the word cock. It had only been used in a detrimental way to describe her office harassment so it seemed odd to then use it to describe Alex.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I was fine with the descriptions of the sex scenes and what was happening. What I was not okay with was the dialogue between Alex and Angela during those scenes. It was so corny and desperate. They kept having to reassure each other and they said things outright in such a straight-forward manner. I just really didn't care for it. There were constant reminders of how much they enjoyed sex with each other and Angela sure is easy to get off :?
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 20:42 I was fine with the descriptions of the sex scenes and what was happening. What I was not okay with was the dialogue between Alex and Angela during those scenes. It was so corny and desperate. They kept having to reassure each other and they said things outright in such a straight-forward manner. I just really didn't care for it. There were constant reminders of how much they enjoyed sex with each other and Angela sure is easy to get off :?
You know what they say, show don't tell.

God I wish more authors actually actioned that advice.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I like that it didn't turn erotic until the two developed an emotional connection, so that made it good for me.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Personally, I think the two should have done more towards investigating the whereabouts of the missing painting rather than investigating their body parts, as the novel is marketed as a crime/mystery thriller.

What name the author gives to those body parts is her choice. As I usually don't dwell on such scenes, I didn't even notice.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I hate how much sex and innuendo there is! I really was t expecting that. I’m also super annoyed by all the “baby” in the dialogue. It makes no sense to me and doesn’t feel like it fits with the character.

I guess I really expected this book to be more about the adventure of solving the mystery and the history of art and Italy.
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

I don't mind "crude" words when depicting sex scenes however I agree the word "cock" just didn't fit in this case.

And while I don't mind those words, and in some cases they can make a scene "steamier", there has been a lot of romance literature which abstain from crude, medical or childish terminology completely. Words that come to mind are "member" and "manhood".

Bottom line for me is so long as the wording flows with the represented writing of the entire story line, anything goes.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Sushan wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 05:45 Sex scenes can be described in many ways in books. Here the author has chosen a set of words that she prefer. Some might feel it palatable while some might not. Nobody can make everyone happy
This observation is accurate as some persons may not be offended by the use of the term.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 04:04 Personally, I think the two should have done more towards investigating the whereabouts of the missing painting rather than investigating their body parts, as the novel is marketed as a crime/mystery thriller.

What name the author gives to those body parts is her choice. As I usually don't dwell on such scenes, I didn't even notice.
:lol2: I love this response. I agree there needed to be more investigation. I am typically a huge fan of romantic suspense, paranormal romance, etc but the romance between Alex and Angela just didn't hit the mark for me. However, I did really enjoy the search for the painting and the relationships of the other two couples.

Even after seeing the comment about certain word choices I didn't notice. So I guess that part didn't bother me. I do see the point though. Sometimes authors have an odd choice of or combination of words for these scenes that just make them seem awkward.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

DancingLady wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 22:21 I hate how much sex and innuendo there is! I really was t expecting that. I’m also super annoyed by all the “baby” in the dialogue. It makes no sense to me and doesn’t feel like it fits with the character.

I guess I really expected this book to be more about the adventure of solving the mystery and the history of art and Italy.
I am so glad to know I am not the only one who thought Alex constantly referring to Angela as baby seemed odd. I tried to talk my way around it because the first time my husband called me baby when we first started dating I thought it was weird. He sent it in a text, and I told him he just didn't seem like the kind of guy who would use "baby" as a term of endearment. I felt the same about Alex.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 19:24 So, my take overall take on this book was that it is foremost a Romance novel. That being said, one of the key elements are the sex scenes. I'm sure any fan of the genre would agree that while relatable characters and interesting plots are desirable, without the 'hot' element, it's just not 'Romance'

What's your opinion on the author's writing style of those scenes? We're they believable? Did they do it for you?

I personally was very disappointed in the author's use of the word 'cock' in the key first love scene between the main characters. She only uses that word two other times in the book, both times referring to the unsavory characters' privates. It was a distinct departure from the rest of the writing in that scene.

Your thoughts?
I think it was just her writing style. Using penis wouldn't have worked as well for the sex scenes. It also wouldn't have done well to use other slang words either.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I've found that in erotic fiction, it's impossible to stick with solely describing what is happening and have your readers take you seriously. Even in sex, characters' individuality should shine. In my opinion, that's more important than what terms for genitalia are used.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

katiesquilts wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:21 The one thing I can't stand though is when the author tries to substitute everyday words for the body parts...things like sausages and love sticks.
I recently read a book that referred to a female character's genitalia as "extremely wet walls of delight." I had to set it down and laugh for a few minutes before I could keep reading. So, relatively speaking, I can't help but think the word "cock" is somewhat tame.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Sensual scenes in romance books add interesting parts to the plot and to the whole journey of reading.
Words are powerful things. They can break hearts and make panties wet.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”