On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by Zain A Blade »

I found the author to be astute in her portrayal of sexual predators. The antics employed by Dr. Alberto Scordato to subdue his potential victim, Angela, were at times subtle such as alternating between putting her down and showing false concern; and at times his maneuvers were quite overt and physical. One thing's sure: none of it was lost on Angela. Understandably, it is not easy to ward off sexual harassment, especially if it's coming from a person who can make or break your career. Given her circumstances, do you think Angela's initial forbearance of Dr. Scordato's sexual advances to save her career is a measure of character weakness or strength?
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

This is definitely a valid and relevant question, considering the recent events with #MeToo and the Nobel Prize scandal.
I wish I could say that Angela should have just put her foot down and pushed back, as that's what I've done before. However, in my case, the man was at the same level as me in the company and trying to play it off as a joke, but I told him flat out that I'd talk to HR if his behavior continued. He was scared for his job after that and couldn't even look at me in the face, but since Scordato's in a much higher position than Angela, I doubt that would work...
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Anywhere when your career is at stake, there is a way that any reasonable, sensible soul with common sense will act. I think that is the case here as well rather than her weakness
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

Working in an office, it is difficult to tell someone about sexual harassment that one is suffering from their senior. It takes a lot of courage on their part to stand their ground. I think the author handled the situation sensibly.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I´ve been in this situation. Well, I´m not an art historian but in a "he can make or break your career" and my livelihood depended on the job, and it´s very hard to totally put your foot down, even with all the feelings of disgust and all the red flags. I think Angela acted very humanly, which gives major points to the author in my opinion because it´s a very delicate topic to handle.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Most of today's sexual harassment cases are actually witnessed at the work places. The person's in senior position take advantage of their juniors all in the name that non compliance will result to job loss. It is worth noting that many employees are desperate and will do anything to save their jobs especially when it's on the line. They are compelled to give in to their employers demand. Angela's action thus cannot be deemed to be any weakness.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

It is not a sign of strength, nor is it of weakness (though a little on the weakness side). It's not easy rejecting your boss's romantic advances especially when you know you need the job. But, she could have stood to her morals and said 'no' if she didnt want that. She may be fired from the job or not. Whichever case, she'd be proud she stood up to him.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Still, it's gross moral turpitude.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Zain A Blade wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 14:21 The antics .... were at times subtle such as alternating between putting her down and showing false concern; and at times his maneuvers were quite overt and physical. One thing's sure: none of it was lost on Angela.
That's the first crucial step, isn't it? Recognising what's happening, and that it's deliberate. Then various questions arise such as, 'Is there evidence that would persuade others?' and ' Has he done this to others?' Most important, though, is: 'Who will listen... and believe?'
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I think Angela handle the situation well. she tried to keep her job and avoid his advance. when push came to shove. She protected herself.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I think situations of sexual harassment that Angela found herself in somewhat difficult to say what should have been done. The need to maintain a job can sometimes be so crucial that reserved and affable women can easily find themselves being taken advantage off and they may just be clueless how best to respond. I think it would be best to avoid being ever alone in that person's presence. Angela quick thinking and counterattack on Mr. Scordarto is entirely laudable.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 07:03 As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
I agree with you. I think saying she was strong or weak is the wrong conversation to have. She dealt with the situation that she shouldn't have been put in in the first place.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I think Angela handles the situation very well, which is one of the things I like about the book
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I have to agree with those who say it is neither a sign of weakness nor strength. It is hard to stick to the extremes with such issues. For females working in male-dominated fields, it is not easy for them to simply put their "foot down," especially when it might cause them to lose their careers. Angela worked very hard to get to where she is and I feel her patience with the situation is commendable. Either way, she is not in the wrong here, Dr. Scordato is. Let us not forget that.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”