On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I think she only wanted to continue her dream job. So, you can't take it as her weakness or strength. When you worked so much for something and whether you loose or keep it depends on whether you submit to sexual harassment, different people might make different choices. It's not her weakness because she knows what's happening but doesn't want to give up her job and you can't take it as a strength of her character for obvious reasons.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 07:03 As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
You are right. It is usually not easy to report someone above you. She did well to get herself out of the situation.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Unfortunately, far too many women have been in this position. This situation is almost impossible to navigate correctly, because there is no "correct" way. Wanting to protect your career is important, just like wanting to protect yourself from unwanted advances is important. I think she handled herself the best way that she could in that situation, and I respect her for it.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author handled this issue very well. I think that females stuck in such situations should take a stand against these things, but it is easier said than done. What Angela did was completely understandable as her whole career depended upon this decision. I like how she finally gathered the courage to take the right action.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don’t see it as a strength or weakness. Angela acted as we all should under those circumstances. We should fight back and not take it. Now there are certainly different ways to go about it because each circumstance is different. I was quite impressed with what Angela did and I am glad it didn’t effect her negatively.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I don't think it's a weakness, I just think it's a difficult situation and one that is seemingly impossible to deal with correctly.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

It is not easy to take down someone who hold so much power like Scordato did. I love how the author have dealt with it in the book, at least Angela did not have to suffer much about it.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I despised Scordato's repulsive behavior towards Angela. On the one hand, I understood her initial weakness in his advances due to her fear of losing her internship after all her sleepless nights and hard work. On the other hand, she evolved and found the courage to face her boss, and I appreciated her strength.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

It would be easy now to say that it was a sign of weakness. But if one was in her position, one would understand that she was strong all through. And eventually she got to say her mind irrespective of what ever comes out of it.
Christina Puttre
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-puttre.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Christina Puttre »

I see what you’re saying. But, I’m not totally sure it should be classified so much as character weakness or strength. If it had to be, I would say strength. From where Angela sat, she believed that without him, she would not be able to get to where she wanted to go. So, she put up with things she should not have to in an effort to continue her direction to success. I suppose another might say that she still could have succeeded as well as exposed her boss for who he was. But, that doesn’t always work on real life.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

It is a sensitive topic as the person livelihood is connected to the response to the harassment. With increase in the rate of this number, less women will be able to work. I'm glad Angela got out of her situation.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

The scene on office sexual harassment is one i can relate with as i had being a victim in my past life. it was a depressing moment for me as i waded in-between given into pressure or losing my job. While facing the trauma, i was very prayerful and at last the boss was distracted to more office pressure than the desire of his female staff.
Darius Alex Jorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darius-alex-jorge.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Darius Alex Jorge »

Definitely shows weakness on her side. I feel the only reason Angela endured the sexual harassment was because it was her dream job.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I agree that Angela's response to the advances of her boss is neither a sign of weakness or strength. However some ladies would gladly chose their morality over anything even their jobs.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”