Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by Morganncall »

There are some great couples in this book from three different time periods Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici, Sophia Caro and the German officer Gerhard Jaeger, and Angela Renatus and Alex Caine. Each have their own story and their own kind of love, but are their stories that different? is romance different in 2018 than it was in the other time periods? if yes, how, and do you think that it's a bad thing that it is different?
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I don't see much difference in romance between then and now. It has always been filled with wild thoughts/actions and stomach full of butterflies (at least thats how i see it). Its the same now, but taken more advantage of than in the past. People form romantic relationships without any real romance, probably for the money in it.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think that within this book, each couple treated romance in a very similar way. Each couple was together truly for love. Even though in modern society, in the US and Italy at least, people have 100% authority in choosing who they wish to marry (even so far as to allow same-sex marriages in certain states). In previous centuries, marriages were very contractual. Couples were matched up to benefit the families and to ensure that no one "married down."
Romance was almost forbidden in certain times and in certain cultures. Now romance is something that people strive to have. True love is so strongly sought after. Most people in the US today do not make marriages for some benefit to their finances, statuses, etc.
It's a great thing that people can choose who to spend their life with. It also helps merge people of different social classes. Although it's more likely that someone will marry within their same economic group (middle class will marry middle class) this is no rule that is set in stone. Ever seen Maid in Manhattan? :)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Frankly, I didn't think any of the couples in this book were in the midst of romance. Most of what we see of them has more to do with lust. Romance involves time spent together, talking, laughing, learning more about each other. All we really see about the couples here are their insatiable desire for sex.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I actually think romance is very different now. Nothing is done slowly anymore. Not as much time and thought are put into things. Unfortunately this is true of our modern day entertainment as well as our relationships.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Morganncall wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 14:33 There are some great couples in this book from three different time periods Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici, Sophia Caro and the German officer Gerhard Jaeger, and Angela Renatus and Alex Caine. Each have their own story and their own kind of love, but are their stories that different? is romance different in 2018 than it was in the other time periods? if yes, how, and do you think that it's a bad thing that it is different?
It seems that romance is a bit different, considering that people have other ways to date now. Such as the use of dating websites or apps that give people a chance to build a connection before actually meeting face to face.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dael Reader wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 19:54 Frankly, I didn't think any of the couples in this book were in the midst of romance. Most of what we see of them has more to do with lust. Romance involves time spent together, talking, laughing, learning more about each other. All we really see about the couples here are their insatiable desire for sex.
Matches up well with modern society though doesn't it :lol2:
Some people in every time period want a true love story and some of them just want a physical relationship. And, the book actually mimics reality in it's claim to be romance when it's really not that much about relationship building. This also happens in real-life relationships. One person thinks it's all about having a good time and the other thinks it's about building a future.
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

kfwilson6 wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 11:55 I think that within this book, each couple treated romance in a very similar way. Each couple was together truly for love. Even though in modern society, in the US and Italy at least, people have 100% authority in choosing who they wish to marry (even so far as to allow same-sex marriages in certain states). In previous centuries, marriages were very contractual. Couples were matched up to benefit the families and to ensure that no one "married down."
Romance was almost forbidden in certain times and in certain cultures. Now romance is something that people strive to have. True love is so strongly sought after. Most people in the US today do not make marriages for some benefit to their finances, statuses, etc.
It's a great thing that people can choose who to spend their life with. It also helps merge people of different social classes. Although it's more likely that someone will marry within their same economic group (middle class will marry middle class) this is no rule that is set in stone. Ever seen Maid in Manhattan? :)
I totally agree. I feel like even 100 years ago people didn't have the ability as much to marry for love. in the book Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari he talks about how we have to ability in the modern world to search the world over for ramance and love, but in previous generations, most people married whoever the closest, best suited person was. Also, I LOVE Maid in Manhattan.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

All the love stories have different atmosphere and social circumstances. So I think these are different from each other. But the love is a universal phenomenon which is same in all ages.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

kfwilson6 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 08:46
Dael Reader wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 19:54 Frankly, I didn't think any of the couples in this book were in the midst of romance. Most of what we see of them has more to do with lust. Romance involves time spent together, talking, laughing, learning more about each other. All we really see about the couples here are their insatiable desire for sex.
Matches up well with modern society though doesn't it :lol2:
Some people in every time period want a true love story and some of them just want a physical relationship. And, the book actually mimics reality in it's claim to be romance when it's really not that much about relationship building. This also happens in real-life relationships. One person thinks it's all about having a good time and the other thinks it's about building a future.
Sad but true.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I think romance is a lot more different now, we have different expectations as to what romance really is. In the past, a girl's best hope was to marry someone she could stand. Now, we want it all. Women are certainly more empowered than they were, and we know we have a right to want more. Even more, we can fall in love with people across the world thanks to the magic of the internet! We're not isolated anymore, that's for sure.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

For all I can remember, there is little difference between today's romance and that of the 1960s. Romance still largely remains one sided with expectations on men to be romantic in all scenarios.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

In my opinion, there is surely a gap of difference in the romance from before and the current. There are still similarities found like short and long time romances, unrequited loves, love affairs, etc. I believe that the big difference are the factors added which include the norms of today, the evolving culture, laws, technology and society. No matter what timeline is, love and romances are the same they are just different in shapes and forms.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
jrmeans09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jrmeans09.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by jrmeans09 »

I think traditions change with time- the ways that you show someone you’re interested and the courtship (is it long or short etc), and the wedding traditions... but love itself doesn’t change. It’s still feeling that infatuation, which slowly becomes deeper. You start seeing them as beautiful even when they’re all groggy from sleep. You overlook when they’re grumpy and you stop feeling like you have to impress them all the time because you know they look past your faults too.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I think romance is much better now than it used to be. Women have more freedom to choose who they love.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”