Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I do believe that love and or romance has changed through time or history. I feel that before eras as seen through my grandparents as well as many other elder couples. Love and romance was something that was less taking for granted. It seems that nowadays relationships do not last like they did back then. It seems that older couples stayed together through it all building strong bonds
Chelsea N. Hackett
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I think while some things have changed, with time, in romance, it has not all be to the good. Now when we think about romance, it is less about deeds and spending time together, it is more about money and goods that can be bought or given.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I honestly that romance has really changed a lot. In the past, the way to show someone that you truly love them was through simple acts of kindness but now love is mostly dependant on goods.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

SereneCharles wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:34 People form romantic relationships without any real romance, probably for the money in it.
This has always been the case. Marriages were arranged to acquire wealth and establish kingdoms for centuries. The only difference between then and now is that hook-ups which are for nothing but physical pleasure is way more common. Whereas marriages were for wealth, physical intimacy in itself now has a value and is solicited and paid for through reciprocity, not love and much less regularly in money.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I agree with you. I think romance has changed a great deal because women have more freedom and power to choose who they love. They also have the freedom to leave their relationship if they choose to.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

It is now both different and the same. Some romantic gestures are timeless, such as offering complements or sharing experiences. At the same time, however, there are new aspects. For example, our ancestors never had to decipher the romantic signals of social media!
Rosehibbard
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosehibbard.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Rosehibbard »

Romance is treated differently today. Things aren't has slow for one. These days girls aren't shy about standing up either.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I think romance is different now due to the different roles we all play in society. Men and women have equal roles and that makes approaching romance feel a little bit different. Roles can be reversed -or not- and couples can have equal power. I think it's much better this way. It must be a little difficult to write a story about romance in the past with only the experience of current relationships.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I think romance is so much better and more accommodating now as opposed to times ago. I mean, same-sex marriages are now accepted in may countries, making it freely one's choice to choose who they want to be involved in with in romantic relationships. The more, the merrier I guess.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

Now that I think about it, I don't really see a difference. I think that the romance is confused by lust. Some of it in this book was based on the familiarity of the sensation of touch, but there was nothing under the surface; just sex and a child.

You saw moreso how Alex loved certain things about Angela, like the way she ate, but that isn't very common. It wasn't then and it wasn't now. Honestly, I think true love is lost to society, but can be found as a rarity. It's just back then they went to more extremes when they "loved" someone.

Also, back then love was quick and sudden. Or the idea of it at least. Now if you say you love someone "too soon", you get judged by literally everyone. It's the same if you take "too long" too, but that's not as common.

I think there is true love out there, but I think people pay too much attention to the puppy love stage and appearances. I can truly and honestly say my partner is my best friend. I tell him everything, I am completely honest with him about everything, and I love everything about him. We've been together for almost a year and we just had a baby.

Not many can say the same past the butterflies and the puppy love, especially if they don't have an active sex life.

Also nowadays people spend too much time paying attention to other people and making comparisons. Back then, even if there was lust, there was more loyalty; they only had eyes for each other, and no one else.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I think romance of today and that of the yesteryears is still the same. There are still lunch and dinner dates, moving to secluded areas and sex just to mention a few.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I think the romance is different, but not necessarily in a bad way. The first two romances were both forbidden love, such as Giuliano being promised to another and Gerhard being a Nazi. This was something that could really have only happened in those timelines because things are much more different nowadays, where you can be with anybody you chose.
SydR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydr.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SydR »

I think that romance is different now than in other time periods. In the age of the internet and constant communication, relationships have become easier to develop. In other time periods, people would have to spend time apart and be out of contact and would long for that person and it would take longer to get to know them.

On the other hand, I believe the things we find romantic such as flowers, love letters, signs of affections are still the same.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I think romance is something that keeps on changing taking into accounts the tastes of the society. That thus brings me to the point that today's romance is varried from that of the sixties. Those are different time periods.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

pricklypurple wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 20:57 I actually think romance is very different now. Nothing is done slowly anymore. Not as much time and thought are put into things. Unfortunately this is true of our modern day entertainment as well as our relationships.
That is true. People these days choose anyone for a relationship without putting thoughts in the matter and sometimes assume lust as love. It's too dangerous nowadays to find someone who truly loves you. That's what I think.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”