Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Post by David Horta Alonso »

It's unusual that she never got pregnant despite records of her and Alex engaging in numerous unprotected sex scenes. Her inability to give birth was surprising.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Despite having a 99% success rate when used properly, and a 96% success rate when not, condoms supposedly will break 1 out of every 5 times. Birth control is its own can of worms that belong in a well detailed essay and not a blog reply.

The point being, pregnancy only works to make characters' live worse and more difficult in fiction, reality is for the suckers in the real world. There was no need to make Angela's life difficult at the end, so she wasn't pregnant in the end. Fioretta and Sofia needed to have challenges and difficult lives, so they were made pregnant to make there time miserable.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Pregnant or not pregnant, she was a strong character. She bravely faces her boss to fend of the sexual harassment threats.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

I believed the author had his reasons for her inability to give birth. Barrenness is a biological problem in the society today. I believe the author wanted to highlight the plight of barren women.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

joycechitwa wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 09:00 By all means, if Sophia and Fioretta got pregnant, why should she break the mold? I guess probably a baby didn't feature in Angela and Alex's life at this point because it would have complicated their lives more than just a little. For purposes of this plot, maybe Belle Ami was silent on the baby aspect intentinoally. But at least, it should have ended with a hint of a baby or a baby on the way...
I think I would have been extremely satisfied with a hint of pregnancy at the end of the book. It was probably the only thing I considered unanswered when I finished reading.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

pixiequeer wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:03 Well, at one point, Alex did think to himself about how they hadn't been using protection, so he thought maybe she was on birth control, but then maybe not. But then he furthered his thought with how he wasn't bothered by not using protection and may even want a child with Angela.

However, it is not something they ever had discussed. I honestly waited for some indication that she would be pregnant, but maybe she wasn't in order to make the reader think.

I have three thoughts in regards to this:

1. Maybe it was a sign that history wasn't going to repeat itself so Angela and Alex could move on with their lives together once they found the painting.

2. Maybe she was, realistically speaking, and the author just didn't tell us because it was the only part of history that hadn't repeated itself aside from Alex not dying this time.

3. This whole story unravelled over a time span of only a month, which also, realistically speaking, is not long enough to get a positive pregnancy test, and that also isn't even taking into account the fact that they weren't sexually active that entire time either.
I like the thought you put into this! I agree that maybe the cycle had come to an end since Angela didn't get pregnant like the previous two versions of her life. If that's true then Belle Ami is completely genius. And I also like your idea that, maybe the pregnancy simply wasn't important enough for the author to mention. That's hilarious considering this thread is all about how a pregnancy should have happened/been made more apparent :lol2:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

jjmainor wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 21:05
v i n wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 06:51 both Floretta and Sophia tales ended up with pregnancy and birth. i was shocked to find out at the end that Angela never get pregnant, given that her sex life with Alex never recorded any history of protection.
"I'm not finished yet, and I'm shocked to hear this. The first time they had sex, I "knew" she was getting pregnant, and I thought she was stupid for not making that connection herself when she's been witnessing the past lives and finding they play out to similarly. It is shocking to learn that it isn't happening.
Oh my goodness, I totally agree! I thought the exact same thing, honestly. Angela was so concerned with her and Alex's lives turning out the exact same way as their previous lives and yet she allows herself to have unprotected sex, raising her chances of getting pregnant and literally ending up stranded in a loop! So, I at first figured that this would serve as a huge basis of conflict for the novel, but it never happened. I was shocked at this, but I'm totally open for more situations in the coming book(s).
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Pregnant or not pregnant, Angela was a fantastic character. all the same, she ought to have been pregnant considering the time period covered in the book.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

Tamorie21 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 02:04
pixiequeer wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:03 Well, at one point, Alex did think to himself about how they hadn't been using protection, so he thought maybe she was on birth control, but then maybe not. But then he furthered his thought with how he wasn't bothered by not using protection and may even want a child with Angela.

However, it is not something they ever had discussed. I honestly waited for some indication that she would be pregnant, but maybe she wasn't in order to make the reader think.

I have three thoughts in regards to this:

1. Maybe it was a sign that history wasn't going to repeat itself so Angela and Alex could move on with their lives together once they found the painting.

2. Maybe she was, realistically speaking, and the author just didn't tell us because it was the only part of history that hadn't repeated itself aside from Alex not dying this time.

3. This whole story unravelled over a time span of only a month, which also, realistically speaking, is not long enough to get a positive pregnancy test, and that also isn't even taking into account the fact that they weren't sexually active that entire time either.
I like the thought you put into this! I agree that maybe the cycle had come to an end since Angela didn't get pregnant like the previous two versions of her life. If that's true then Belle Ami is completely genius. And I also like your idea that, maybe the pregnancy simply wasn't important enough for the author to mention. That's hilarious considering this thread is all about how a pregnancy should have happened/been made more apparent :lol2:
Well, realistically speaking, how could she have gotten pregnant in like three weeks and already been symptomatic? It just doesn't make sense unless she's superhuman 😂

The cycle almost did repeat itself though, right up until the very end. So I did wait for some mention of her being pregnant up until I realized the timespan in which this story had taken place. So it very well could have been foreshadowing.
Zephyr1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyr1988.html

Post by Zephyr1988 »

I thought about that periodically throughout the film. But we were never told whether Angela was on birth control. Angela never reveals that and Alex never asked her. So it's possible that Angela isn't pregnant.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

I don't think so.
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I felt like the story wasn't more than a few days, if she was pregnant she would not have known. Way too early. Maybe if there was a sequel she could hint on her pregnancy, but with the foresight she has, maybe... maybe.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html

Post by TheTrueNyree »

If we follow their past lives, Angela is more than likely pregnant. I believe author Belle Ami is looking to have a series with this one, and the next installment they will be married and have a child just like the past lives. I do believe however author wanted to leave people wondering about Alex and Angela's future. When the maid/housekeeper told Angela that she would show her how to control her gift, that was setting up for another book in my opinion, starting with whatever that last vision was about. But I dont think they needed to add the pregnancy yet. The story was great without it.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

It would make sense if that was the next sense as the author made no attempt to introduce any form of protection. This would have been very obvious considering the world we live in today. I have a hunch it was a deliberate choice to keep open the possibilities.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Tamorie21 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 22:51 The Girl Who Knew da Vinci started with Sophia being pregnant, and her tale ended with a memory of her child. Fioretta also got pregnant and her tale ended with her giving birth. There were countless sex scenes in the novel, and for Alex and Angela especially, all instances were unprotected (they never truly breached the question of birth control, at the very least). So my question is, is it realistic that Angela never got pregnant? I was thinking that, by the end of the novel, for sure, Angela would be pregnant.

And if it's not a question of protection and is instead approached thematically, should Angela have ended up pregnant like Sophia and Fioretta, or is this simply an indication of her and Alex's lives moving forward from their past lives? Would it have changed the story for better or worse?
Hi Tamorie21 -

Thank you for bringing up the topic of "Should Angela Be Pregnant?" Due to the many sex scenes throughout book, I asked myself the same question. I remembered chuckling at Alex Caine's brief mentioning about the lack of birth control use in one of the later chapters. Although Alex did not mind carrying a child with Angela, I was slightly appalled that he did not broach the the topic of birth control with Angela.

So, to answer your question, I think that Angela's lack of pregnancy is unrealistic unless she has some infertility issues that might be revealed in future books. Thematically, on the other hand, I like your idea that her lack of pregnancy could be an indication that Angela's and Alex's lives are different from their past lives.

...as for changing the story for better or worse.... If Angela was pregnant, I wonder how the constant visions and blackouts will affect the pregnancy. I think that her gift or curse might cause some complications for the fetus.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”