Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci started with Sophia being pregnant, and her tale ended with a memory of her child. Fioretta also got pregnant and her tale ended with her giving birth. There were countless sex scenes in the novel, and for Alex and Angela especially, all instances were unprotected (they never truly breached the question of birth control, at the very least). So my question is, is it realistic that Angela never got pregnant? I was thinking that, by the end of the novel, for sure, Angela would be pregnant.

And if it's not a question of protection and is instead approached thematically, should Angela have ended up pregnant like Sophia and Fioretta, or is this simply an indication of her and Alex's lives moving forward from their past lives? Would it have changed the story for better or worse?
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I think that is a possibility, after all, Angela was an emotional wreck for most of the book. If the next book centers on them, then a baby would be the next step.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

holsam_87 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 16:50 I think that is a possibility, after all, Angela was an emotional wreck for most of the book. If the next book centers on them, then a baby would be the next step.
You are certainly right about her emotional state! I eventually just wrote it off as Angela being ridiculous rather than a baby. Now that you've given me that possibility, I have a slightly more positive view regarding her personality :lol2:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Tamorie21 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 18:19
holsam_87 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 16:50 I think that is a possibility, after all, Angela was an emotional wreck for most of the book. If the next book centers on them, then a baby would be the next step.
You are certainly right about her emotional state! I eventually just wrote it off as Angela being ridiculous rather than a baby. Now that you've given me that possibility, I have a slightly more positive view regarding her personality :lol2:
I know a lot of people were writing her off as being too reliant on Alex but being pregnant, I think she would instinctually lean on him more.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

holsam_87 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 22:40
Tamorie21 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 18:19
I know a lot of people were writing her off as being too reliant on Alex but being pregnant, I think she would instinctually lean on him more.
In that case, I do hope that the next book involves a little Caine-Renatus. I think it would give the story even more flavor than it already has, and we'd probably get to see an Angela that isn't only reliant but reliable!
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

Possibility of angela getting pregnant is pretty much and it would be interesting to see what changes will appear in her life if she really conceives a child.
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

both Floretta and Sophia tales ended up with pregnancy and birth. i was shocked to find out at the end that Angela never get pregnant, given that her sex life with Alex never recorded any history of protection.
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

both Floretta and Sophia tales ended up with pregnancy and birth. i was shocked to find out at the end that Angela never get pregnant, given that her sex life with Alex never recorded any history of protection.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I feel like she is pregnant by the end of the book. Maybe the next book will be her finding out.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Angela seemed to be too stressed out which might be one reason why she was not pregnant, or just lucky in spite of her foolishness. I would have thought the risk of disease would have inspired a little more common-sense.

I liked the way the author tried the stories from different time periods together, but the characters just did not appeal to me.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

The fact of Angela becoming pregnant was mentioned once by Alex after a few encounters, but this was not something that would bother them. I think that would be a next step in the story, but everything passed so fast and in a short period of time so Angela might not be aware of a pregnancy yet.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

No, I don't think she should. I don't know why there is a human fixation with pregnancy. The world is imploding.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

v i n wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 06:51 both Floretta and Sophia tales ended up with pregnancy and birth. i was shocked to find out at the end that Angela never get pregnant, given that her sex life with Alex never recorded any history of protection.
Absolutely. I felt that the story seemed unfinished in that aspect, as much of the story was centered around the future lives of all three couples, and two of these connected pasts included pregnancies.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Britty01 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 14:29 Angela seemed to be too stressed out which might be one reason why she was not pregnant, or just lucky in spite of her foolishness. I would have thought the risk of disease would have inspired a little more common-sense.

I liked the way the author tried the stories from different time periods together, but the characters just did not appeal to me.
I agree with you there, Angela's attitude really drove me away from her several times throughout the novel; but as holsam_87 mentioned, her attitude might have also been because she was in fact pregnant? Who knows, but hopefully Angela's a more wholely likeable character the next time around.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

onixpam wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 14:41 The fact of Angela becoming pregnant was mentioned once by Alex after a few encounters, but this was not something that would bother them. I think that would be a next step in the story, but everything passed so fast and in a short period of time so Angela might not be aware of a pregnancy yet.
You're right about how fast the story moved; I think everything happened in just about a month? In that sense, it certainly is plausible that Angela might not even know :)

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”