Scordato's intent revealed to early?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Scordato's intent revealed to early?

Post by JHuschle519 »

I just finished reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, and while I enjoyed many aspects of the story there is one thing that I felt could have been done better. It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. This took a lot of the suspense out the book for me because I knew what was coming. There was no surprise at the end when he ,finally, made his move. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Yes, it would have been better if we don't know the intent of Scordato. Due to it, there is not much suspense left in the book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

garima597 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 07:02 Yes, it would have been better if we don't know the intent of Scordato. Due to it, there is not much suspense left in the book.
Thank you for replying garima597. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. I definitely think it would have been better to suspect that he might be the bad guy as opposed to knowing for certain the whole time.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I see what you mean, it definitely does reduce the suspense a notch. Though I haven't finished reading the book, I don't really mind knowing who the bad guy was so early; I feel it would simply cause a more focused attention on the character being targeted and the various ways he or she thwarts attacks from the antagonist.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

Vickie Noel wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 14:20 I see what you mean, it definitely does reduce the suspense a notch. Though I haven't finished reading the book, I don't really mind knowing who the bad guy was so early; I feel it would simply cause a more focused attention on the character being targeted and the various ways he or she thwarts attacks from the antagonist.
Thanks for chiming in Vickie. I would be curious to know if your opinion changes at all once you have finished reading the book. I see the point you are making, but I'm not sure if the antagonist played enough of a role in the bulk of the book to really draw too much attention. He was certainly there at the start and at the finish though.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

Yes, I agree 100%! I hated Scordato because he was so one-dimensional and so clear with his intentions from the start - such a bad villian. I wish we got something more from him, but nah, it was all just the same stuff. No ulterior motive, no secret attack, nothing. It was really disappointing, especially because it seems Ami spent a lot of time rounding out the other characters.

I do see Vickie's point, though. This way we could just focus on the story between Alex, Angela, and the past lives without having to obsess over who and what was going to hurt them.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

sarbearah wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 00:29 Yes, I agree 100%! I hated Scordato because he was so one-dimensional and so clear with his intentions from the start - such a bad villian. I wish we got something more from him, but nah, it was all just the same stuff. No ulterior motive, no secret attack, nothing. It was really disappointing, especially because it seems Ami spent a lot of time rounding out the other characters.
I agree, Ami did a great job with the other characters in this book. The lack of development with Scordato made him seem kind of out of place the few times he did show up in the middle of the story.
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

I too have a feeling that Scordato was brutal and his intention are know right from the beginning. however how Ami developed the characters is very exceptional.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do believe that Scordato's plan could have been kept secret a little while longer even with letting us know about him watching her as she zoned out in front of the painting. I believe had it had been left out earlier on it would have come as a major shock or added more suspense as in who was after Angela and Alex and why
Chelsea N. Hackett
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

JHuschle519 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:28 It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I can see your point, but I think it would have had better suspense if there were more close encounters like the incident in the alley with Alex.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think Scordato's intent was revealed too early. It would have been better to keep the suspense going.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Being a mystery and suspense, sure the idea of knowing his intent at the start of the book is sort of a spoiler. As you suggest, the author should just have portrayed him as the bad guy, but left his intentions hidden so that the reader is left to discover just how bad he is as the book goes on.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

Yssimnar wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 03:24
JHuschle519 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:28 It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I can see your point, but I think it would have had better suspense if there were more close encounters like the incident in the alley with Alex.
That is definitely another way the author could have gone. That one incident seemed kind of out of place without any others like it. Even just having some additional evidence that they were being followed would have helped build up some more suspense.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

chelhack wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:45 I do believe that Scordato's plan could have been kept secret a little while longer even with letting us know about him watching her as she zoned out in front of the painting. I believe had it had been left out earlier on it would have come as a major shock or added more suspense as in who was after Angela and Alex and why
Thanks for the reply chelhack, and yes, that major shock would have been great. I really liked the book, but that would have put it on a whole different level for me. I believe it was v i n in an earlier reply that mentioned how well Ami developed the other characters, and it would have been great to see that type of development with Scordato.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

JHuschle519 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:28 I just finished reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, and while I enjoyed many aspects of the story there is one thing that I felt could have been done better. It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. This took a lot of the suspense out the book for me because I knew what was coming. There was no surprise at the end when he ,finally, made his move. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Yes, I agree. I think the problem comes from the fact that this was really a paranormal romance.

In my review, I made a point of stating that this was not a thriller. Thrillers are really fast-paced and the main characters are always chasing the next clue to find out who is behind the plot. Sometimes things are so convoluted, you don't find out until the very end who is behind the crime. Also, there is a lot of tension, running, hiding, plotting, tactics. There was none of that here. Unless you consider long soapy showers suspenseful.

So I guess you needed Scordato around to have some suspense.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”