"Out of time Thriller"

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

"Out of time Thriller"

Post by joycechitwa »

Belle Ami categorically states that her book is an "Out of time thriller". In my view, the book does not fit in the authentic "Thriller" category at all, but more of romance in a historical setting. The sense that there is looming danger or urgency to act fast, or a deadline to get the mission done, is totally missing.

Did you find a specific reason to label it as a thriller?
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Definitely not a thriller. Does not have the pacing, the tension, the plotting, the tactics of a thriller. And there were no guns! Except for Alex's big gun, LOL.

I enjoyed the book, despite the many meals and long lingering kisses.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm surprised that the author chose that category. None of the reviews or descriptions I've seen remotely fall into the thriller genre.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yup, that's a great point of view and I agree. Also, unlike The Da Vinci Code, the movie by Dan Brown, I concur, The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci is more about past lovers who expose themselves to modern-day lovers, regarding Leonardo da Vinci's most infamous secret painting. Or shall we say the painting that no one ever thought existed? In addition to what you stated, "that there is no looming danger or urgency to act fast or an exact deadline to get the mission complete".
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

Yes, based on the reviews it definitely doesn't sound like a thriller.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

After reading "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci," I agree that the book does not have all the stereotypical elements of a thriller, which is partly due to the early revelation of Scordato's malicious intent. However, I actually would still classify Ami's work as a thriller for the following reasons:

- In my opinion, a thriller is a story that involves a mystery or crime; and "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" involves solving the mystery of the existence or non-existence of a painting. Furthermore, Max Jaeger wanted to find evidence that could clear his uncle's name.

- Lastly, I believe that the "looming danger" is represented by Scordato's persistent threat to perpetuate the vicious cycle of everyone's past lives.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

You said that there is a lack of urgency and impending doom isn't there, but I would have to disagree.

They have to find the painting before history repeating itself, and the way history repeats itself is with the death of Giuliano, and then again with Gerhard, due to the assassins. They literally have a fated, limited amount of time to recover the painting for the sake of Alex's life.

Does that not consist of urgency and impending doom?

Because I have to say, especially reading the last few chapters, I was on my toes with anticipation, wondering if their history really was going to be stuck on repeat or if they were going to find the painting and end the cycle of death and heartbreak.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

joycechitwa wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 04:41 Belle Ami categorically states that her book is an "Out of time thriller". In my view, the book does not fit in the authentic "Thriller" category at all, but more of romance in a historical setting. The sense that there is looming danger or urgency to act fast, or a deadline to get the mission done, is totally missing.

I completely agree with you Joycechitwa. It did not seem a thriller to me at all but a romantic novel with more of romance and its lengthy descriptions mentioned in the novel.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Definitely not a thriller. The pacing, the tension, the plotting of a thriller are not there in it. The book is nice but surely not a thriller.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I agree with everyone's opinion. Definitely not a thriller. The plot is different and mild haha and far from my definition of thriller.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

No, I was a little confused by the title after reading the book. Definitely not a thriller. A historical romance with some suspense, yes.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

There is the history surrounding the world war two. That's a classical thriller scene. Secondly, Alex actions in tracing the lost painting was in itself a thriller. He set out on establishing the truth.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I agree with you. Maybe Belle Ami had the intent of this being a thriller, but got too lost in the romance for it to be considered a thriller. I think that a more accurate title would be an out of time story. I don’t know if I’m going to continue the series or leave it where it lies.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

The book is on the face of it a romance novel. There are little thriller scenes. For instance, I think there's thriller in sergeant Alex going in search of the stolen artistic arts.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

joycechitwa wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 04:41 Belle Ami categorically states that her book is an "Out of time thriller". In my view, the book does not fit in the authentic "Thriller" category at all, but more of romance in a historical setting. The sense that there is looming danger or urgency to act fast, or a deadline to get the mission done, is totally missing.

I agree, it was a romance and not a thriller, and it should have been marketed as such to avoid the disappointment I've seen from some of the other reviewers.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”