What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I completely agree with you on this. I mean, it would have been fine if Scordato had only mentioned it once, but it was every single time that the book showed his point of view! It was as if Belle Ami really wanted to get her point across that these two men were no good slime balls. It felt really creepy to read about how this sociopath can think of nothing more than money and pretty girls. It genuinely scared me, but I was fine other than that.
Mee_maw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mee-maw.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Mee_maw »

FictionLover wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:27 I have to say that I was disturbed with Scordato's constant fixation with raping Angela. I found it gross and creepy. Also, in the time stream of Gerhard and Sophia, one of the German soldiers wants to rape Sophia.

I know rape is a common 'motif' in war novels, but I thought it was overdone. Is this something that is used in romance novels?

I could do without it, and I think the book would be just as good if Scordato didn't harp on it, or if he used some other kind of threat. What do you think?[bn=][/bn]
Scordato's character draws some parallels with someone I have known in the real world, so I find his constant fixation with raping Angela believable.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I have read romance novels where rape was used. I don't really care for it but it is a way for the author to make the bad guys worse. Rape is a common motif in most books where the bad guy wants to either hurt the woman or hurt the man that loves her.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Mee_maw wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 08:03
FictionLover wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:27 I have to say that I was disturbed with Scordato's constant fixation with raping Angela. I found it gross and creepy. Also, in the time stream of Gerhard and Sophia, one of the German soldiers wants to rape Sophia.

I know rape is a common 'motif' in war novels, but I thought it was overdone. Is this something that is used in romance novels?

I could do without it, and I think the book would be just as good if Scordato didn't harp on it, or if he used some other kind of threat. What do you think?[bn=][/bn]
Scordato's character draws some parallels with someone I have known in the real world, so I find his constant fixation with raping Angela believable.

Well, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Even though the idea and or thought about rape in general is gross and discussing I do not believe that it was overused within the novel. I believe it may have been more common just less aware of in the years of Sophia and Garhard. But, it still does very much exist in today's world. I believe that it is one of those things that add character to this book something that most people stray away from but I congratulate Belle Ami for factoring it into this book. Nobody wants to think and or deal with being raped not even me but that does not make it not exist. I feel especially in those type of situations where they are killing or going to kill the man of the relationship I believe that it was written in to show that it is used in those situations as a form of disrespect and or to degrade the victims.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Rape is a cliche whenever there's war. Soldiers are the main culprits. They abuse their powers and use their authority in molesting innocent souls. However, Scordato moves towards Angela is sexual harassment in work places.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I found the rape threats to be unnecessary and overdone. I found that those sections of the book made me feel uncomfortable. But that been said I think that what is more scary is that something like that could so easily and does happen everyday.
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by AshEileen2013 »

The rape threats is what really irked me with this novel. Not the fact that it was mentioned but the fact this this strong, intelligent woman already had these advances made onto her but she didn't do anything about it. She seemed to frail and weak for it. As a victim myself, that hits home for me. It would have been nice to see her push to stop him.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Rape is a tragedy to the victims, a tragedy to the socciety. Dr.Scordato uses his position in work place to terrorize Angela.That was brutal.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Rape threats to Angela are described with much attention but here is one point that over limit of any thing in the story lies to boredom. so i will say that the case of rapers and rape is overemphasized in the story.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It would probably be better without the recurring threat of rape. But I haven't gotten to read this book yet so I can't say for sure.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Rape threats were a reflection of the society where sexual harassment is so common at work places. Angela is harassed by her boss. The theme was educational.
k2kelliher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2kelliher.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by k2kelliher »

JHuschle519 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 00:45 I didn't have any issue with the idea of rape being included in the novel, but I agree it was probably overdone. Once the reader knows it is something on Scordato's mind, I don't feel like they need to be constantly reminded of it.
I completely agree with this. The concept of this being his desire did not bother me. Having to be reminded of it multiple times did make me mildly uncomfortable. But, overall this did not affect my positive opinion of the book. But, I could see where some people may find this very troubling and unnecessary.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It really just felt like one more way to make the bad guy evil. He makes sexual advancements, he's greedy, he's a liar and cheat, he has family in the mob and is okay with it, he's rich but wants to be stupid rich is his primary motivation, but just ain't personal enough till he wants to rape the protagonist.

Narratively, it's the primary reason you want him to lose because the painting is just a Mcguffin, and in the end, the painting is just a plot device to get the real story, the romance.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Rape threats are a common scene in wars. Soldiers abuse their authority and molest innocent women. it's inhumane.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”