What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Post by sanykip »

i find it unnecessary for the author to have add the rape issue to the book, because i think there are other several better ways to bring in the character of violence.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I think it sort of mirrored real life where women are constantly fearful of being raped. Even though it was repeated multiple times in the book and some would say it was overdone, I thought it was okay to mention it as often as it was. Many women live their lives in constant fear. As well as you have bosses that prey on their workers because of the amount of power they have.
carlyroseh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlyroseh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by carlyroseh »

Scordato's rape threats helped to solidify my hatred of his character. He was very one-dimensional, and it was very easy to despise him. I did find his obsession with raping Angela to be very disturbing.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

taffylee81 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:50 Maybe the author thought including the threats in the novel would add to the character development? That type of thing can easily be overdone tho and have the opposite effect to what the author intends.
To answer FictionLover's question, I think that rape is not a common motif in every romance novel. As a fan of the romance genre, I read quite a few books that did not as much sensual heat or rape; and due to better character development, I actually enjoy these type of romantic books more than the works that are similar to Belle Ami's.

Now, to add to taffylee81's thoughts, I also believe that the author wanted to develop Alberto Scordato's character as a man, who is rotten to his core. By establishing Scordato's malicious intents so early in the story, Ami was able to keep the book fairly short.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

ape is a real act, because rape does not only occur in fictional stories but often occurs in real life, so if there is an act of rape in a book I think it is normal.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Rape threats are always going to make a reader uncomfortable. Do you think that was the intention?
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that, once we know what kind of person he is and that he has those plans in mind for Angela, we don't need to be reminded again.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I thought the same thing throughout the book. It was already clear that Scordato intended to rape Angela. We didn’t really need to be reminded every second we got a glimpse into his mind. The German soldiers bothered me too. Usually when rape is involved in the story, the person doesn’t usually announce it. They just attack. Obviously we always hope they are not successful, but in some cases they are. Like you said, it just felt a bit overdone to just announce it.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”