Romance Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Romance Scenes

Post by Samantha Powell »

I was annoyed by the amount of erotica in this book. I wanted to read more about them searching for the painting. Also, did anyone else feel that the scene with Sophia and Gerhard was a little strange, if not unrealistic to their characters? Maybe it was just me. :? :oops:
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I think the sex scenes were just realistic. This book is more of a romance novel with adventures than an action book.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree with this post - once the romance started in full force between the two main characters it really controlled the book. I enjoyed the mystery and search for the painting much more and it slowed down once the focus was on the romance. I still enjoyed the book
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I thought there were too many sex scenes. I preferred the hunt for the painting. I found myself flipping through the pages looking for the end of the sex.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I think the sex scenes were to exaggerating. Such scenes distract the readers like me.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I thought the romance scenes were okay, but what I didn't like was how they met. I thought it was weird and I couldn't really relate to it. I guess the scenes were rushed because they technically already knew each other in previous lives. I do wish the author could have included more scenes about the past since I love history.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

acupofsubtletea wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 11:00
David Horta Alonso wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 00:43 There's excessive indulgence in the sex scenes. Lovers of romance novel would find this thrilling. I think the sex scenes were too much and unethical.
Even as someone who considers themselves a big fan of romance novels, I found the sex scenes to be way too much. Once they became a couple, everything was about their romantic relationship. I’m sure that could have been great for some people, but it didn’t work for me. The romance genre is definitely about sex to a certain degree, but it still has to be character and plot driven to make the sex more than just straight erotica. And this book sort of fell a little short on the character end.
I had considered adding this book to my list to read. Knowing now, that the book is primarily sex driven, means I definitely won't be reading it. I don't mind some romance in a book, but there have to be compelling characters and a believable plot to make it work for me.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I felt like there was too much as well. It slowed down the action in the book.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I agree that the encounters seemed rushed. I didn't think there was enough sexual tension and build-up. It did seem like once Alex and Angela had sex, that's all they really wanted to do. But it made sense considering the highly intense and romantic situation they were in.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I really do feel that when an author starts writing too many sex scenes, then it's an indication that he or she has run out of ideas. If the scene does nothing to deepen our understanding of the characters, the plot, the relationship, or whatever, then it becomes simply a page-filler. And tedious, before too long.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I was intrigued by the title. But after reading all the comments, I feel the title's theme as a time-travelling romance thriller is not completely met. Of course, I love romantic scenes, even heated ones. But introducing the book as a time-travelling thriller, it should have sci-fi, action and thriller aspects as well. Else it'll notoriously fall short of the expectations of the reader, as evident in the comments. Anyway, with clear expectations, one can give a try.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I agree. It felt like the entire novel turned into a sappy love story. A lot of it seemed so gooey and unrealistic. It was hard for me to get through a lot of it.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I thought the sex scenes were well written and I enjoyed them, but there were far too many of them. I was like, I get it, they have good sex and a strong emotional connection, let's get back to the plot about the painting. It's funny because in a different book, I got tired of the battle scenes and I thought it was more because I don't like battle scenes, but I do like sex scenes and even I had enough of them lol. I think authors often think they need to show every little nuance (for example, of their growing connection tied into the sex) but readers don't need to have that illustrated as much as authors think they do. Two or three scenes of the same thing are enough to show progression.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 12:51 I think that's Belle Ami's style. Based on the books she has on the site, that's how I read her: a romance thriller writer. I, too, would have wanted more action outside the bedroom.
I would excuse her based on this comment. I also wanted more action away from the bedroom
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

I agree with you. I don't mind the occasional sexual interaction but their relationship seems to go too slow at the beginning then seems to speed up way too fast in the middle. I like the romance aspect of the book but honestly, the middle is just erotica which I think is not necessary. The book has a good thing going with the art history and the time-transitioning love story, the erotica part spoiled the book a little bit

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”