Romance Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Romance Scenes

Post by AshEileen2013 »

I absolutely don't mind reading sexual interactions, but did anyone else find these encounters rushed. I felt like I was reading a teenagers work in most of the scenes and for how short and snippy they were, there was way too much of it. I felt like the novel was more about the sex once we hit the middle than about the actual adventure in the book.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think that's Belle Ami's style. Based on the books she has on the site, that's how I read her: a romance thriller writer. I, too, would have wanted more action outside the bedroom.
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by AshEileen2013 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 12:51 I think that's Belle Ami's style. Based on the books she has on the site, that's how I read her: a romance thriller writer. I, too, would have wanted more action outside the bedroom.
I definately see that. The romance aspect seemed to be adolescent crippled with the fact that her other books are romance. I felt like the romance part could have been better. Perhaps the book would have been better if it were longer, so the adventure part of the story could have shown through better.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

It definitely felt like when teenagers discover sex for the first time. It's all they can think about, and subsequently all they do, which rings true for most of this book. When I found out Alex is 32 and Angela was 27 I was shocked at their inexperience.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I have not read this book, but am thinking of reading it next. Other than the sexual scenes, would this book be a good read? I don't mind sexual scenes in stories, but I'd like to be able to get into more of a storyline and not just about sex.
Mac :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

mac83 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 19:02 I have not read this book, but am thinking of reading it next. Other than the sexual scenes, would this book be a good read? I don't mind sexual scenes in stories, but I'd like to be able to get into more of a storyline and not just about sex.
I'm about 75% done with it, and I have to say, it's a romance story, not an action story. It seems like a good romance, so if that's your thing, this is definitely worth reading, but if you want to pick it up for the mystery of the painting, well, that seems more rushed than the sex.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I do enjoy reading romance books. This one keeps popping up as a book I may be interested in. I'll have to give it a try and see what I think about it. Thank you for your insight!
Mac :techie-reference:
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

There's excessive indulgence in the sex scenes. Lovers of romance novel would find this thrilling. I think the sex scenes were too much and unethical.
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 00:43 There's excessive indulgence in the sex scenes. Lovers of romance novel would find this thrilling. I think the sex scenes were too much and unethical.
Even as someone who considers themselves a big fan of romance novels, I found the sex scenes to be way too much. Once they became a couple, everything was about their romantic relationship. I’m sure that could have been great for some people, but it didn’t work for me. The romance genre is definitely about sex to a certain degree, but it still has to be character and plot driven to make the sex more than just straight erotica. And this book sort of fell a little short on the character end.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

For someone who doesn't read romance novels, it was a nice change for me. I enjoyed the sex scenes. I did think they started to overtake the novel once they began, but hey, we've all been young and in love...seemed realistic enough to me.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Although the romance and sex scenes are to read but when there is overemphasis of erotica in the novel , the story seems to be like teenagers love relationships. Once the game of romance started, it extends to an over Limit.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

Well I think that's Bell's style of writing. But while I would enjoy reading about their sex escapades I would also like some adventure.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Romance novels like featuring deep, heated erotica scenes and I found that disturbing at times...nonetheless I enjoy reading such content sometimes.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

I am interested in reading this book because I like romance books. I thought this book is about art primarily, but after reading these comments, I realized that there are lots of sex scenes. I hope it is a good read anyway.
Zephyr1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyr1988.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zephyr1988 »

AshEileen2013 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:59 I absolutely don't mind reading sexual interactions, but did anyone else find these encounters rushed. I felt like I was reading a teenagers work in most of the scenes and for how short and snippy they were, there was way too much of it. I felt like the novel was more about the sex once we hit the middle than about the actual adventure in the book.
I agree with you. I don't mind sex scenes in the books I read. But it did seem like they spent just as much time, if not more, in the bedroom. It may even border on gratuitous. I think the author did a great job conveying the passion Angela and Alex have towards each other. But it was a little excessive. Less could be more in this case.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”