Romance Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Romance Scenes

Post by Yerenzhu »

I felt like halfway through the book, Belle Ami used the sex scenes as a filler to bridge what happened and what was going to happen. Sure, she talked about how involved they were in past lives, but I felt like we could read that and be fine without every other chapter being filled with sex.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I believe the intimate scenes were rushed, but then the whole book was faced paced. I think it could have been better for some had they had more action encounters to even out the sex scenes. Either way I think the sex scenes were tastefully done. And for me, did not take away from the story
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

You're spot on! Yes, I too feel that the sex scenes override the concept of the overall storyline.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I like romance books and mystery. The two go hand in hand. Love scenes do not bother me, unless they are rushed. I feel that the love scenes in a story play a big part and they shouldn't be rushed otherwise it ruins the effect. I haven't gotten to read the book yet but it will keep and open mind about the book.
Danbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danbo.html

Post by Danbo »

I didn't care for the graphic sex scenes. They were too much!
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I don't mind sex scenes in books, especially when it triggers a memory of a past or present sexual relationship. It might have seem excessive, but young relationships tend to spend lots of time in the bedroom.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

Unless it's listed as a romantic book those scenes will probably lack detail, especially if the characters are not experienced and it doesn't add to the story
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

I think some writers of romance are told by their editors and publishers they have to have steamy sex scenes to sell books ever since Shades of Gray" I wish the book didnt seem to hint there was more romance/sex then art history. I skip the sex scenes
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

Yeah, there was a lot of indulgence in sex. Some sex scenes were erotic.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

As a fan of romantic books, I also did not mind the romance scenes. However, I believe that the many sexual interactions did overwhelm the rest of the story. As a result, Belle Ami did not develop the present-day characters as well as their past counterparts.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

AshEileen2013 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:59 I absolutely don't mind reading sexual interactions, but did anyone else find these encounters rushed. I felt like I was reading a teenagers work in most of the scenes and for how short and snippy they were, there was way too much of it. I felt like the novel was more about the sex once we hit the middle than about the actual adventure in the book.
I absolutely agree about the later half of the book. The sex scenes take over and not much else seems to happen. And I don't like reading sex scenes. If they're short and relatively innocuous I'll read them, but the later scenes in the book were interminable. I think there was a problem with the dramatic action (aka conflict) in the story and that's why the last half fell apart.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I also felt the romance scenes were overdeveloped and at times, cliché. I felt that the romance overshadowed the true plot line and as a result, the sense of urgency and mystery were lost.
CasualBookReader
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html

Post by CasualBookReader »

AshEileen2013 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:59 I absolutely don't mind reading sexual interactions, but did anyone else find these encounters rushed. I felt like I was reading a teenagers work in most of the scenes and for how short and snippy they were, there was way too much of it. I felt like the novel was more about the sex once we hit the middle than about the actual adventure in the book.
I thought Alex and Angela's love making was sweet, romantic and sexy. It fit with their story arch perfectly. Sofia and Gerhard love making was raunchy and it fit with their story arch. It's described in enough detail that I had a mental picture of how they were having sex.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think Angela should have taken cold showers, rather than just too many showers. The sex was a little too much as the story continued.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

There was a ton of sexual scenes towards the end. I personally don't mind, I've never been bothered by them I think it is just a heavily romantic story with a touch of history.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”