What should we read for July?

For June 2018 we will be reading short stories.

What should we read for July?

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2018, 02:32

​​Action/Adventure
7%
Beach/Vacation
7%
Children/Middle Grade
7%
Classic Literary Fiction
21%
LGBTQ+
14%
New Adult
14%
Non-Fiction
No votes
Romance
7%
Satire/Humor
No votes
Steampunk/Science Fiction
21%

Total votes: 14

Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: What should we read for July?

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:31
Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 12:39
hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:40

It could be. That's a good point.

I can see that. My hubby's mom has a similar situation. She was recently saying the same thing about how busy and crowded it gets driving in/out of work and going to the store because she lives near the beach.

That's good! I like most of the genres. I tend to be a bit leery with Science Fiction unless it's Dystopian, then I'm all for it!
I noticed that happening when I was reading a ton of Victoria Holt books back to back. Since she wrote them every year and I would sometimes finish one then start the next one the same day, I kept seeing similar patterns and settings.

She has my sympathy. Though Bike Week/Biketober is worse in the short term, beach traffic happens most weekends and gets worse during some periods (big holidays/spring break). Ah well, bad traffic is what books are for. :D

I'm curious, any particular reason for that? I've seen the genre sub-divided sometimes into Science Fantasy or Hard and Soft Science Fiction; I'm assuming the genre is changing more than ever so it might be easier to find a niche for everyone.
I haven't read any Victoria Holt books, but I can how tiring it could become reading a lot from the same author back-to-back, especially if the patterns and settings are similar.

This is true - books can solve a lot of problems! :)

I'm not too familiar with Hard and Soft Science Fiction, but my main problem is the language some authors use. If it becomes too technical or if there are too many inventive and/or scientific words, then it becomes overwhelming for me and I stop enjoying the book. This could also be that I'm not finding the right type of Science Fiction books because I'm sure there's plenty out there that are not as technical and could be enjoyable. Does that make sense?
Her stuff is still good though, since she does use information from her research under her other pseudonym Jean Plaidy to add historical context to the books. You can make a game out of trying to guess which tropes she combines with which other ones because sometimes you think she's going to use one trope then she might swerve it slightly. I ended up reading them back to back so quickly since it was summer break and several copies of her books had been recently weeded from the library so I was worried they would all be weeded or only available digitally, which can sometime load weirdly on my devices.

Books solve a ton of problems.

I think those terms are still fairly new terms as some authors have tried to base their science fiction closer to science fact while other authors bend science a bit more. It totally makes sense; I struggle with more scientific terminology too. Unfortunately, I can't think of any specific author that might be less technical. There might be some online lists you could look at.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Voted!

I voted for LGBTQ+, but if it comes down to a tie-breaker, I'm willing to throw my vote to science fiction. Maybe it will push me to read some of the books I've been putting off!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 15:03
I haven't read any Victoria Holt books, but I can how tiring it could become reading a lot from the same author back-to-back, especially if the patterns and settings are similar.

I'm not too familiar with Hard and Soft Science Fiction, but my main problem is the language some authors use. If it becomes too technical or if there are too many inventive and/or scientific words, then it becomes overwhelming for me and I stop enjoying the book. This could also be that I'm not finding the right type of Science Fiction books because I'm sure there's plenty out there that are not as technical and could be enjoyable. Does that make sense?
Her stuff is still good though, since she does use information from her research under her other pseudonym Jean Plaidy to add historical context to the books. You can make a game out of trying to guess which tropes she combines with which other ones because sometimes you think she's going to use one trope then she might swerve it slightly. I ended up reading them back to back so quickly since it was summer break and several copies of her books had been recently weeded from the library so I was worried they would all be weeded or only available digitally, which can sometime load weirdly on my devices.

I think those terms are still fairly new terms as some authors have tried to base their science fiction closer to science fact while other authors bend science a bit more. It totally makes sense; I struggle with more scientific terminology too. Unfortunately, I can't think of any specific author that might be less technical. There might be some online lists you could look at.
Oh, I see. Maybe I'll look her up. :)

Books are the best!

Ah, I see. It's interesting how the selection of genres have changed over the years. Yeah, perhaps if Science Fiction is chosen, I can do some research on books that aren't as technical. Maybe other OBC members might have some ideas, too!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:54 Voted!

I voted for LGBTQ+, but if it comes down to a tie-breaker, I'm willing to throw my vote to science fiction. Maybe it will push me to read some of the books I've been putting off!
Thanks for voting! Switching, if necessary, sounds like a good idea, thank you! :tiphat:

If it is chosen, maybe you and/or others could help me find something that I might like since Science Fiction is a 'meh' kind of genre for me. :lol:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 11:17
Lil Reads wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 15:03

Books are the best!

Ah, I see. It's interesting how the selection of genres have changed over the years. Yeah, perhaps if Science Fiction is chosen, I can do some research on books that aren't as technical. Maybe other OBC members might have some ideas, too!
Some of the stuff shows its age a bit - e.g. some of the male characters really are jerks - but since she was trying to evoke ideas from Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, it fits.

Yes they are. :)

Definitely; I think because people want more variety in their books that writers are trying to use ideas and themes from other genres. As we currently have a tie between Science Fiction and Classical Literature, we might be able to use War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, or Frankenstein. There are probably other Classics that are early Science Fiction, but those are the three that spring to my mind.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 11:20

Thanks for voting! Switching, if necessary, sounds like a good idea, thank you! :tiphat:

If it is chosen, maybe you and/or others could help me find something that I might like since Science Fiction is a 'meh' kind of genre for me. :lol:
I have those genres. :lol:

You can't really go wrong with something by H.G. Wells.
Or I just read an interesting, but very odd, book. Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller. Post apocalyptic, dystopian. People who can connect with animals via nanites. A few other sci-fi elements. Really more of a sci-fi lite. :lol2:

Plus it has some nice LGBTQ+ represenation. :)

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 20:13

Or I just read an interesting, but very odd, book. Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller. Post apocalyptic, dystopian. People who can connect with animals via nanites. A few other sci-fi elements. Really more of a sci-fi lite. :lol2:

"Blackfish City" by Sam J. Miller is on my list, so I wouldn't mind reading it. I love dystopian books!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 22:59

"Blackfish City" by Sam J. Miller is on my list, so I wouldn't mind reading it. I love dystopian books!
I've found that I quite like them, especially eco-dystopians. :)

I hope you enjoy it! It's very different than I expected, but I loved it. 8)

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 12:35
hsimone wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 11:17

Books are the best!

Some of the stuff shows its age a bit - e.g. some of the male characters really are jerks - but since she was trying to evoke ideas from Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, it fits.

Yes they are. :)

Definitely; I think because people want more variety in their books that writers are trying to use ideas and themes from other genres. As we currently have a tie between Science Fiction and Classical Literature, we might be able to use War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, or Frankenstein. There are probably other Classics that are early Science Fiction, but those are the three that spring to my mind.
That's good to know beforehand, thanks!

:D

Hm...combining the two genres didn't even occur to me. For now, I might stick with one genre this month and the other for August. I don't want to limit people in what they'd like to read, but thank you for the suggestion. :) I've definitely been curious about Frankenstein, though. :eusa-think:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I haven't heard of Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller, but the elements to the book does sound interesting! Thank you for the suggestion! :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Since it is a tie between Classic Literary Fiction and Steampunk/Science Fiction, let's split the two for the next two months. For July, why don't we go with Steampunk/Science Fiction, and then for August, we can read a Classic Literary Fiction?

There was a recent BOTD that I want to read that I think is labeled as Science Fiction, so I wouldn't mind giving that one a try for this month, but I'm totally up for suggestions, too!

Thank you to everyone who voted! :tiphat:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 03:43 Since it is a tie between Classic Literary Fiction and Steampunk/Science Fiction, let's split the two for the next two months. For July, why don't we go with Steampunk/Science Fiction, and then for August, we can read a Classic Literary Fiction?

There was a recent BOTD that I want to read that I think is labeled as Science Fiction, so I wouldn't mind giving that one a try for this month, but I'm totally up for suggestions, too!

Sounds good to me. I opened the new forum. :tiphat:

What BOTD was it? I may read it as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
NDOW ALAGIE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NDOW ALAGIE »

I will start reviewing and analysing and also adding some key points as we moves on.Thank you.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 04:24
hsimone wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 03:43 Since it is a tie between Classic Literary Fiction and Steampunk/Science Fiction, let's split the two for the next two months. For July, why don't we go with Steampunk/Science Fiction, and then for August, we can read a Classic Literary Fiction?

Thank you! :tiphat:

I was thinking of reading Zeva by Tesha Finley. Did you want to read this one, too?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:28
gali wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 04:24

Thank you! :tiphat:

I was thinking of reading Zeva by Tesha Finley. Did you want to read this one, too?
Yes, I did. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “June 2018 Genre Discussion”