What should we read for July?

For June 2018 we will be reading short stories.

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2018, 02:32

​​Action/Adventure
7%
Beach/Vacation
7%
Children/Middle Grade
7%
Classic Literary Fiction
21%
LGBTQ+
14%
New Adult
14%
Non-Fiction
No votes
Romance
7%
Satire/Humor
No votes
Steampunk/Science Fiction
21%

Total votes: 14

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Can't believe we're more than halfway through the year already. Hopefully, the first half has gone well for everyone!

It's that time again - what genre does everyone think we should read next month? :reading-4:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I'm trying to read genres I haven't before and I think for the inevitable stuck in traffic/stuck inside because of bad weather, a vacation book is in order. Something less intense and maybe something with comedy.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 16:06 I'm trying to read genres I haven't before and I think for the inevitable stuck in traffic/stuck inside because of bad weather, a vacation book is in order. Something less intense and maybe something with comedy.
I like trying genres I haven't tried before, too! :)

I'm sorry to hear about the traffic and being stuck inside because of bad weather. That's not fun. I can definitely see why a lighter read would sound appealing.

It's a fairly even tie right now. At least we have some time for someone to break the 7-way tie! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 16:30
Lil Reads wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 16:06 I'm trying to read genres I haven't before and I think for the inevitable stuck in traffic/stuck inside because of bad weather, a vacation book is in order. Something less intense and maybe something with comedy.

I'm sorry to hear about the traffic and being stuck inside because of bad weather. That's not fun. I can definitely see why a lighter read would sound appealing.

It's a fairly even tie right now. At least we have some time for someone to break the 7-way tie! :techie-studyingbrown:
Sometimes I can't focus on a new book, but it seems like switching genres helps a bit.

Thanks; the traffic isn't as bad yet, but traffic in July and August can get really bad near the beach. The weather where I live gets so weird with heavy rain for a few minutes then blazing hot sun for hours. Yesterday there was thunder and clouds over half my house, but then no rain. :eusa-think:

True; fingers crossed for someone to break the tie.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 16:42

Sometimes I can't focus on a new book, but it seems like switching genres helps a bit.

Thanks; the traffic isn't as bad yet, but traffic in July and August can get really bad near the beach. The weather where I live gets so weird with heavy rain for a few minutes then blazing hot sun for hours. Yesterday there was thunder and clouds over half my house, but then no rain. :eusa-think:

I can see that.

July/August near the beach? Wow, that must get crazy! Also, weather can be so weird sometimes. :roll:

Haha, now it's an 8-way tie! :lol:
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Voted too and broke the tie. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 03:20 Voted too and broke the tie. 8)
Nice, thank you for voting and for breaking the tie! :tiphat:
Heidi

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Now we have a tie again, but at least it is only between two genres now.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 02:35

I can see that.

July/August near the beach? Wow, that must get crazy! Also, weather can be so weird sometimes. :roll:

Is it due to me comparing how an author dealt with similar tropes compared to another? :eusa-think:

Thankfully we are not on the beach, but the traffic can really mess things up because you have to go through town to get to the beach. So many extra cars on the road and the stores get extra crowded since people stop for food or drink before getting to the beach. I think a few times it was easier and faster to go to a further store just to avoid all the people in a closer store.

:lol: Well, I like all the genres so no matter what wins, I'll find something to enjoy, plus I might choose something from the runners up list. :techie-studyinggray:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 10:53 Now we have a tie again, but at least it is only between two genres now.
:lol: Yes, we do!

I'm curious to see how this goes within the next few days. :eusa-think:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:06

I can see that.

Is it due to me comparing how an author dealt with similar tropes compared to another? :eusa-think:

Thankfully we are not on the beach, but the traffic can really mess things up because you have to go through town to get to the beach. So many extra cars on the road and the stores get extra crowded since people stop for food or drink before getting to the beach. I think a few times it was easier and faster to go to a further store just to avoid all the people in a closer store.

:lol: Well, I like all the genres so no matter what wins, I'll find something to enjoy, plus I might choose something from the runners up list. :techie-studyinggray:
It could be. That's a good point.

I can see that. My hubby's mom has a similar situation. She was recently saying the same thing about how busy and crowded it gets driving in/out of work and going to the store because she lives near the beach.

That's good! I like most of the genres. I tend to be a bit leery with Science Fiction unless it's Dystopian, then I'm all for it!
Heidi

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:36
Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 10:53 Now we have a tie again, but at least it is only between two genres now.

I'm thinking stunning upset. :mrgreen:
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:40

I can see that.

I can see that. My hubby's mom has a similar situation. She was recently saying the same thing about how busy and crowded it gets driving in/out of work and going to the store because she lives near the beach.

That's good! I like most of the genres. I tend to be a bit leery with Science Fiction unless it's Dystopian, then I'm all for it!
I noticed that happening when I was reading a ton of Victoria Holt books back to back. Since she wrote them every year and I would sometimes finish one then start the next one the same day, I kept seeing similar patterns and settings.

She has my sympathy. Though Bike Week/Biketober is worse in the short term, beach traffic happens most weekends and gets worse during some periods (big holidays/spring break). Ah well, bad traffic is what books are for. :D

I'm curious, any particular reason for that? I've seen the genre sub-divided sometimes into Science Fantasy or Hard and Soft Science Fiction; I'm assuming the genre is changing more than ever so it might be easier to find a niche for everyone.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 12:28
hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:36

I'm thinking stunning upset. :mrgreen:
Just a couple more days and still a tie! :lol:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 12:39
hsimone wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:40

I noticed that happening when I was reading a ton of Victoria Holt books back to back. Since she wrote them every year and I would sometimes finish one then start the next one the same day, I kept seeing similar patterns and settings.

She has my sympathy. Though Bike Week/Biketober is worse in the short term, beach traffic happens most weekends and gets worse during some periods (big holidays/spring break). Ah well, bad traffic is what books are for. :D

I'm curious, any particular reason for that? I've seen the genre sub-divided sometimes into Science Fantasy or Hard and Soft Science Fiction; I'm assuming the genre is changing more than ever so it might be easier to find a niche for everyone.
I haven't read any Victoria Holt books, but I can how tiring it could become reading a lot from the same author back-to-back, especially if the patterns and settings are similar.

This is true - books can solve a lot of problems! :)

I'm not too familiar with Hard and Soft Science Fiction, but my main problem is the language some authors use. If it becomes too technical or if there are too many inventive and/or scientific words, then it becomes overwhelming for me and I stop enjoying the book. This could also be that I'm not finding the right type of Science Fiction books because I'm sure there's plenty out there that are not as technical and could be enjoyable. Does that make sense?
Heidi

Return to “June 2018 Genre Discussion”