Toni's dislikes

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Toni's dislikes

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 10:43
Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 00:55 I think dislikes would detract from the sunny charm of the book.
But don't you think that adding his dislikes would give a more balanced view of Toni's personality. And if we see it positively it can help children to abandon some negative traits, like we can say "Toni dislikes throwing garbage out of the house." Just through pictures and in simple words. Children would like to mimic that what the Toni ( their favourite character) dislikes, they should avoid this too.
And parents can also use this to remind children that you(children) should stay away from all those habits which your superhero avoids.
You mean have his dislikes be things such as:
Littering
Dirty Floors
Messy bedroom
Chocolate (JK!)

I guess when I have kids my first strategy would be to get them to see things from the "positive" point of view and by positive I don't mean sunny/optimistic/happy, I mean avoiding "not" type terms. So Toni likes to clean versus Toni doesn't like/dislikes things to be dirty. And not jump to the concept of, sometimes you have to do things you don't like. Just a personal preference.
ereason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereason.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ereason »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:27
Sarah Tariq wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 10:43
Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 00:55 I think dislikes would detract from the sunny charm of the book.
But don't you think that adding his dislikes would give a more balanced view of Toni's personality. And if we see it positively it can help children to abandon some negative traits, like we can say "Toni dislikes throwing garbage out of the house." Just through pictures and in simple words. Children would like to mimic that what the Toni ( their favourite character) dislikes, they should avoid this too.
And parents can also use this to remind children that you(children) should stay away from all those habits which your superhero avoids.
You mean have his dislikes be things such as:
Littering
Dirty Floors
Messy bedroom
Chocolate (JK!)

I guess when I have kids my first strategy would be to get them to see things from the "positive" point of view and by positive I don't mean sunny/optimistic/happy, I mean avoiding "not" type terms. So Toni likes to clean versus Toni doesn't like/dislikes things to be dirty. And not jump to the concept of, sometimes you have to do things you don't like. Just a personal preference.
I was struggling reading the thread to come up with any ideas of "healthy" dislikes, as opposed to "Toni dislikes cauliflower", or something of the sort - but those are good suggestions. I like it as it is for a very first reader though.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Great comment. :tiphat: The story is so cute to add something that might create confusion to young readers.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I feel like with children they are very prone to repeat what they see or hear. So if they see that a superhero (to them) dislikes vegetables, it may encourage them to also say that they don't like vegetables.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I think that including Toni's dislikes could be important to the story in some cases. For instance, there might be a chore or two that Toni doesn't enjoy doing, but he could learn to enjoy it or at least learn that it's something he needs to do. However, I don't think including his dislikes would be particularly important to the first, introductory story. This book was very positive, which helps readers start liking Toni very quickly, and adding negative factors might have detracted from that. When you first meet someone, you do not immediately begin telling them your negative qualities; when your readers first meet your character, you don't immediately tell them their character flaws.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

This is an interesting question. Since the author's goal is to teach, juxtaposing "I like" and "I don't like" might have been useful.

How difficult to be a writer, especially of children's books, no? There are so many things to consider and prioritize. I'm interested to read future books to see the direction the author takes.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I could not even imagine Toni frowning. I think dislikes will dampen the happy and light atmosphere of the book in general. Another point, using dislikes will need explanation and therefore longer sentences. Unlike likes you only have to draw a happy and smiling Toni and it will be a given. :)
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

PABS wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 19:18 This is an interesting question. Since the author's goal is to teach, juxtaposing "I like" and "I don't like" might have been useful.

How difficult to be a writer, especially of children's books, no? There are so many things to consider and prioritize. I'm interested to read future books to see the direction the author takes.
Our forum discussions indicate how many factors there are to consider that children won't even consciously be aware are impacting them. It's great how many lessons this short book can offer and children will just see it as a fun book about a superhero.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Some of the likes already imply a dislike. Toni likes to dust (he dislikes a messy room). I wouldn't mind seeing some dislikes. I believe in trying to prepare children for the real world. The important thing is their attitude. "Toni dislikes a messy room. Toni likes to dust."
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I think the better reason for adding Toni's dislikes would be to teach children to read more than one type of sentence.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I don't think that dislikes are necessary to this book. The author uses repetitive and simple phrasing to reinforce early reading skills. If the intended audience were older, then perhaps a healthy variety of likes and dislikes would be appealing. With this particular book, I think sticking to the basics is great. Using "like" also helps to make it look more desirable to eat the right foods, sleep well, and do your chores.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Conversations with a Sage by Rand Law

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It could have been good, yes. But who knows, maybe some will begin disliking something for reading it on a book. I think dislikes will definitely develop as one goes on in life. It is a process of self-awareness that never stops, I will not, therefore, crucify the author for failing to include them. Her intention was to portray Toni as a superhero and perhaps get a lesson or two to the kids.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

FictionLover wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 17:50 I think the better reason for adding Toni's dislikes would be to teach children to read more than one type of sentence.
Amen.

I think it's telling as to the sheer nothing-ness of this book that we're reduced to debating whether or not including dislike would have improved it. Is that and Toni's race really the only topic we can find to talk about? The fact that this thread exists is proof that the book is generally lacking substance, and I find the lauding it's getting absurd.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

:reading-3:
NRoach wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:59
FictionLover wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 17:50 I think the better reason for adding Toni's dislikes would be to teach children to read more than one type of sentence.
Amen.

I think it's telling as to the sheer nothing-ness of this book that we're reduced to debating whether or not including dislike would have improved it. Is that and Toni's race really the only topic we can find to talk about? The fact that this thread exists is proof that the book is generally lacking substance, and I find the lauding it's getting absurd.

Well, I did enjoy the book.

I read to my son from when he was a toddler and I found the concept and the illustrations appealing and think I would have no problem reading this one, too. In my experience, little ones (I'm talking 3-6 or 7 years) live in their own little fantasy world where putting on a cape makes them a superhero whether they are playing on the floor, or running across the grass with the cape flapping behind them. So the aspect that Toni is not really a superhero does not bother me.

However, and this is just my humble opinion, I think it is obvious that the author is not an educator or anyone who has studied early childhood language acquisition. As an undergrad I studied languages and linguistics and it is obvious to me, that the average child can easily comprehend more than one sentence structure. I think an educator or professional writer would have focused on the verbs and changed them up so that the child could hear and read a simple structure which can be used in many ways. Making "like" the dominant verb is overly simplistic and limits discussion.

And you are right, even back in the day, when I learned to read with Dick, Jane and Spot, there was a simple plot, even if it was just that Dick and Jane are playing outside. It sounds ridiculous to a modern ear, but "See Dick run. Run Dick run. See Spot run . . . etc" is a primer that is focused on the verbs, and makes sure the child can identify, comprehend and speak simple words out-loud. We were supposed to be able to understand, read aloud in class and write these simple sentences.

Toni the Superhero is a mom's take on a reading primer, so it lacks certain aspects, that I guess she does not think are necessary.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I believe that children a fairly easy influenced I believe that if the author started naming Toni's dislikes it has the possibility to have a negative effect.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”