Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by ArriettyClock »

I certainly *hope* this book will encourage children to have more outdoor activities and less electronics. I feel that although electronics have a major part in our lives now, that they are overused by children who also need to acquire life skills through outdoor play. It's shocking that children can get to their teens and never have seen common wildlife in their own countries that would be obvious if they had stepped outside more.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Due the portability and affordability of gadgets children are more inclined to electronics however this is very unhealthy. Nature deficiency syndrome is what they call this new problem arising from too much exposure from gadgets and less or no physical and outside activities. Children with this syndrome are prone to obesity, depression, short attention span, mood swings and other learning disabilities. So yes more on outside play and active physical games for kids. :)
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

I think most children spend too much time using electronics, but Toni's unlikely to change that. It's a combination of the family environment encouraging outside play and the availability of space and friends that will help children move away from a screen. Neighborhoods without playgrounds, safe streets, or backyards will rarely be successful in moving children outdoors. Hopefully the children reading Toni the Superhero will already be likely to avoid screen time.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:57 I grew up in the 90s so I had a great mix of playing outside and then using technology as I grew up. I distinctly remember playing in our screened in porch with my friends but I also remember playing video games with them inside. I really think there needs to be a balance in screen time versus outdoor play. I get really sad when I see parents park their kids in front of a TV or computer to keep them busy. I understand doing this every now and again but your TV or iPad should not be your babysitter!
Yes exactly! It is a shame that parents don't want to go outside with their kids and have that bonding time. There isn't much bonding that happens when watching a movie. When my husband and I were dating we would go to his parents' house. His mom would frequently ask him to pick a movie for us to watch. Ummm....I don't want to sit here and watch a movie. But that is a huge part of their definition of what it means to spend time together and hang out. I just never agreed with it and figured I could make better use of my time than that. The only child in the group would sit on the floor and play and be told to be quiet every time he wanted to talk to someone. Everyone else was hooked to the tv, watching an adult only movie, and the poor kid got left out to be his own babysitter. At other times the adults would want to do something he couldn't and they would make the tv the babysitter. The great thing about that rant I just had is the child actually wanted to go outside and play, he just wasn't allowed to do so on his own but no one would go with him :(
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

K Geisinger wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:40 I think most children spend too much time using electronics, but Toni's unlikely to change that. It's a combination of the family environment encouraging outside play and the availability of space and friends that will help children move away from a screen. Neighborhoods without playgrounds, safe streets, or backyards will rarely be successful in moving children outdoors. Hopefully the children reading Toni the Superhero will already be likely to avoid screen time.
I was just thinking about having a safe place to play. Where I grew up, there wasn't a lot of traffic, the neighborhood was incredibly safe, and there were a ton of kids. I remember being in kindergarten and riding my bike around the neighborhood with my friend. Our parents trusted that we were safe. We even lived a few blocks from our elementary school and would go play on the playground. My younger brothers always liked to walk to the school and do that. They did play some video games, but I think the four of us, myself and my three younger brothers, spent the majority of our free time in the pool, on the trampoline, playing kickball, or using the school's playground. We had plenty of company in the neighbors' kids. I feel sad for children who don't get to grow up in this type of environment. I would hesitate to let my children roam the streets as much as we did unattended. That's not even a product of where I live, but more so society in general.

Side question: do you guys think required physical education classes help encourage children to engage in more interactive activities or do children feel like it's more of a chore because it's just another class they have to take in school? I'm not particularly athletic so for me it always depended on the activity. I can say I think Field Day was everyone's favorite physical ed day. Maybe Toni could have a Field Day where he gets to try out different sports which would introduce kids to lots of different activities.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

julessawyer wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 10:47 Due the portability and affordability of gadgets children are more inclined to electronics however this is very unhealthy. Nature deficiency syndrome is what they call this new problem arising from too much exposure from gadgets and less or no physical and outside activities. Children with this syndrome are prone to obesity, depression, short attention span, mood swings and other learning disabilities. So yes more on outside play and active physical games for kids. :)
I have never heard of that. That is incredibly interesting and sad. Electronics are great when you are stuck in the car headed to a vacation spot where physical activity is limited and you need to keep your kids from screaming for 12 hours. But on a normal day at home, especially during summer breaks from school, children need to keep their minds and bodies engaged. There are so many physical activities they can choose from. Some fun things I remember as a kid were hula hoops and those things you hooked on your ankle and spun them around with one foot while hopping over it with the other. That's great exercise!
Jade100+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jade100+ »

Speaking from my experience, I lived in a poor neighborhood where drugs were sold and my neighbors couldn't be trusted. Because of this I wasn't allowed to play outside. I think that the question is not whether electronics should be dialled back in prevalence, but why they have become so popular. I do agree that the popularity of outdoor activity has significantly decreased, but I do not believe that electronic usage has gone up without reason.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:49 Side question: do you guys think required physical education classes help encourage children to engage in more interactive activities or do children feel like it's more of a chore because it's just another class they have to take in school? I'm not particularly athletic so for me it always depended on the activity. I can say I think Field Day was everyone's favorite physical ed day. Maybe Toni could have a Field Day where he gets to try out different sports which would introduce kids to lots of different activities.
That's actually a great question.
I grew up playing outside with my friends (we weren't forced to - it's just what we preferred). But I remember HATING phys ed. I think you're right that when it's a forced school activity, it takes the fun out of it a little bit.
And I have no idea what Field Day is :lol2:
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 14:24
kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:49 Side question: do you guys think required physical education classes help encourage children to engage in more interactive activities or do children feel like it's more of a chore because it's just another class they have to take in school? I'm not particularly athletic so for me it always depended on the activity. I can say I think Field Day was everyone's favorite physical ed day. Maybe Toni could have a Field Day where he gets to try out different sports which would introduce kids to lots of different activities.
That's actually a great question.
I grew up playing outside with my friends (we weren't forced to - it's just what we preferred). But I remember HATING phys ed. I think you're right that when it's a forced school activity, it takes the fun out of it a little bit.
And I have no idea what Field Day is :lol2:
Field Day was something we did in elementary school. It was a whole day of outdoor activities. Each grade had a different schedule and you would do everything from softball, to long jump, to timed cup stacking. I think we even had one of those blow-up bounce houses to play in. It was a good mixture of fun and sports.
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by msomigreat »

i tend to think that we as parents have the biggest role to play in determining this. if we make proper schedules for our children, then they will have ample time to have physical exercises and also play with their electronic gadgets.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by dgallois »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 01:20 I definitely think children spend way to much time on electronics and I hope this story along with some encouragement from parents will get them outside doing more physical activities.
I completely agree with you on this. My children were involved in sports while growing up so they did get to be outside or at least in a gym, and physically active. My grandsons love to be outside and so we make sure to allow this often so they always like to do this. They are a bit too young to be reading stories yet but I believe this would be a good book for them when they are start to read.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
I do think that children spend too much time on electronics, yes, and I think it was great that the author and illustrator left out electronic devices. They did make outdoor activities and personal interactions look appealing, so this book may encourage our children to use electronics less often. However, we as adults will have to reinforce this in order to make it a habit.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:53
julessawyer wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 10:47 Due the portability and affordability of gadgets children are more inclined to electronics however this is very unhealthy. Nature deficiency syndrome is what they call this new problem arising from too much exposure from gadgets and less or no physical and outside activities. Children with this syndrome are prone to obesity, depression, short attention span, mood swings and other learning disabilities. So yes more on outside play and active physical games for kids. :)
I have never heard of that. That is incredibly interesting and sad. Electronics are great when you are stuck in the car headed to a vacation spot where physical activity is limited and you need to keep your kids from screaming for 12 hours. But on a normal day at home, especially during summer breaks from school, children need to keep their minds and bodies engaged. There are so many physical activities they can choose from. Some fun things I remember as a kid were hula hoops and those things you hooked on your ankle and spun them around with one foot while hopping over it with the other. That's great exercise!
Try searching the forest kindergarten. This syndrome is what these schools are addressing. I myself notice this lack of physical activity to my nephews. They are terribly cranky and they lack focus as well. But I'm mostly upset about is that houseplants are no longer part of their vocabulary. They no longer know the difference between a mango tree and a mulberry.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I really hope that this book helps children to see the values of outdoor play. I feel like, although electronics are a part of our life, that they are too heavily involved in children's play.
It's refreshing to find a book like Toni the Superhero that give children an inspirational character that does not need electronic devices to have fun and enjoy their free time. Children reading this cannot fail to be enthused by Toni and may copy what he finds fun.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think it is a wonderful idea to portray kids playing outside instead of inside, glued to their computers, tablets or television. I was reading somewhere that there is an increase in the problem of child obesity in the United States. Hopefully, this will help a little.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”