Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Post by Helen_Combe »

When I read the book, I felt that Toni wasn’t a superhero, he was a little boy with a superhero costume. Her probably believes that he is a superhero and he probably believes that he can fly. However, from a parent’s point of view, he is a superhero because he is such a good, healthy and happy boy.
Did you think he was a superhero?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I tend to agree with you. For one, he doesn't wear his underwear outside. LOL.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:24 I tend to agree with you. For one, he doesn't wear his underwear outside. LOL.
Of course! The true mark of a superhero. :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I thought the premise of the book was that Toni was an actual superhero, but that he still did ordinary chores and activities like other kids. It seemed like the whole point was to show kids that even superheroes have the same responsibilities as everyone else.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I think the idea was that they were trying to relate it to children to help them feel like superheros are just like them, they still do chores etc. Or maybe he is a superhero because he is teaching them to read?
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I had the same thoughts as you. I didn't think he was an actual superhero. I think he dressed like one, and because he did all of his chores and was such a good kid, it made him a superhero.
So the message to kids is that if you're a good kid, you can be anything. Maybe?
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:24 I tend to agree with you. For one, he doesn't wear his underwear outside. LOL.
I also agree with Helen. (LOL. Captain Underpants was one of my favourite comic books to read during my childhood.)
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I think it only matters what he defines himself as - not what others think.
(I wish we could have seen more of that in the book).
It's similar to us here - some on here call themselves writers. I consider myself a writer. Really anyone can place labels on anything.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:27 I thought the premise of the book was that Toni was an actual superhero, but that he still did ordinary chores and activities like other kids. It seemed like the whole point was to show kids that even superheroes have the same responsibilities as everyone else.
Yes! Exactly! Plus, you don't have to have superhero abilities to BE a superhero. A kid that helps at home willingly is definitely a superhero in her mom's eyes.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I had the same thought as I read this book. We are introduced to Toni the "superhero" and then jump into the normal things he likes to do. I don't really see Toni as a superhero though. I would have liked to see the superhero things he likes to do as well.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think it’s nice that the book is defining superhero as things that normal people can achieve. Aspiring to fly and to be able look at Lois Lane’s underwear with your X-ray eyes might be great fun, but not particularly practical in today’s world.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I agree, I think he's just a kid. But a superhero in the way that he's a very good kid. I'm sure he's a superhero to his family. He reminded me of kids who like to play dress up and pretend. I thought it was very cute.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 16:42 I think it’s nice that the book is defining superhero as things that normal people can achieve. Aspiring to fly and to be able look at Lois Lane’s underwear with your X-ray eyes might be great fun, but not particularly practical in today’s world.
LOL! X-Ray eyes! I hope Toni is too young to think of that!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I did not think of Toni as a superhero. I thought that HE thinks he is a superhero, and probably, so would the child reading.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't care if Toni actually has superpowers, but what I don't like is that we can't tell if Base is just referring to him as a superhero to teach a lesson that all kids are superheroes or if Toni will actually have any type of superpower. The first thing Toni likes to do is rescue animals which doesn't necessarily take a superhero, but from a child's perspective, it probably does. But then the list of things shifts to everyday activities. The lack of clarification about what superhero means in this context bothers me. If he does have some extraordinary ability, I think Base should have included that in Toni's introductory story.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”