The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Re: The Next Installments in the Series

Post by Allyseria »

It would be great if the author wrote about holiday seasons. There's a lot of useful vocabulary that the children can learn.

I read some comments below that said that they don't think having a series would be a good idea because the book is targeted at young readers. I don't agree with this because I think it's good for children to have a character that they can follow through multiple books. It might even encourage them to read the next book if they know it will feature the same character! (Therefore encouraging reading :) )
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I wouldn't attempt to know what an author chooses for their series. All of the things you listed are good ideas, as are some of the suggestions in other posts. For instance, friends with super powers, how he got his super powers, etc. Using any of these suggestions could make for a good series.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:23 This book is the first installment in a planned series of books. Since this book didn't have a plot or flesh out the main character, I wonder what the next installments will be about. Remember the author's concept is to have simple, repetitive sentences to make it easy for children to learn to read. Do you think each installment will focus on Toni doing activities related to certain holidays, such as Halloween and Christmas? Will Toni go on trips such as visiting Grandma, going to the zoo, etc.?
Maybe the next book will be about what Toni likes to do; showing his different hobbies, activities, and sports. It could highlight some unique likes and/or similar likes of children all over the world.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I think one of the next books with deal with going to school and studying since the focus of the series seems to be reading and creativity.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I think the next books will focus on Toni's superpowers or his other relatives
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

I think doing activities associated with holidays such as christmas resobates better with kids. For example during christmas, kids like to help in decorating the christmas tree. As kid and even now that I'm all grown up, i still get excited everytime its christmas because i get to decorate a christmas tree
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

It the author should surprise readers in the next installment what form will Toni be, Will he still be a superhero or not
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 09:36 AmySmiles - I actually think it was not the author's intent to have a plot. I think she just wanted a series of repetitive sentences to get kids to recognize and remember the same words. That's why I have a feeling the next installments will follow a similar game plan as this book.
I agree with your analysis. I believe that the main focus was on learning and not so much as a plot. It is more of a teaching resource and the other books will continue in the same format.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Allyseria wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 06:43 It would be great if the author wrote about holiday seasons. There's a lot of useful vocabulary that the children can learn.

I read some comments below that said that they don't think having a series would be a good idea because the book is targeted at young readers. I don't agree with this because I think it's good for children to have a character that they can follow through multiple books. It might even encourage them to read the next book if they know it will feature the same character! (Therefore encouraging reading :) )
I am with you on that. Children may find that Toni's character is interesting and will make it easy for them to read the next book if he is the main character again.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”