The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: The Next Installments in the Series

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:45
kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:07 Here is the book description for Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables. It definitely sounds like he's not your traditional superhero.

"Kids don’t need reasons to eat vegetables. They need the impulse to eat vegetables, because that’s what superheroes do. When Toni the Superhero eats his veggies, he gets amazing powers, like strong bones for life. With vegetables, Toni wins any fight against dastardly bad guys like germs. Show your kids that plant foods are packed with power, and soon they will be too! Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables is the second of the Toni tales from author R.D. Base. Keep an eye out soon for book number three. The strongest eyes will see it first, so eat your carrots now!"
Okay! I take it that veggies are good for a superhero (is anyone else reminded of Popeye and his spinach?), but does he finally show some superhero streaks here? I am also hoping to see the sentence structure become a little more varied.
I think though eating vegetables is a simple task. But children usually avoid veggies. So if children's superhero eats veggies, they will be inclined to eat this too.
I am of the view that the author should progressively add the difficulty level according to the mind of young readers.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Lynsyn wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 06:47 I sincerely hope that in the next installments, the author would introduce us to Toni's family, friends, relatives, his neighborhood, and the people around him in general so that it may add more variation to Toni's life and more sentences to learn and understand for kids. Also, Toni showcasing his superpowers even in his mundane life, after all, he's a superhero and that's what makes the child interested in.
Some people have so many relatives that might be a whole book. "This is Toni's aunt," "Toni's grandmother has come to visit," "Toni's dad is home from work." Those are more complex sentences, but I'm sure Base could simplify the introductions. There might even be pets included.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This will be R.D base's call, and of course she will be looking out for feedback and opinions from the first book. However, fingers crossed should be it.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 13:56
Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:45
kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:07 Here is the book description for Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables. It definitely sounds like he's not your traditional superhero.

"Kids don’t need reasons to eat vegetables. They need the impulse to eat vegetables, because that’s what superheroes do. When Toni the Superhero eats his veggies, he gets amazing powers, like strong bones for life. With vegetables, Toni wins any fight against dastardly bad guys like germs. Show your kids that plant foods are packed with power, and soon they will be too! Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables is the second of the Toni tales from author R.D. Base. Keep an eye out soon for book number three. The strongest eyes will see it first, so eat your carrots now!"
Okay! I take it that veggies are good for a superhero (is anyone else reminded of Popeye and his spinach?), but does he finally show some superhero streaks here? I am also hoping to see the sentence structure become a little more varied.
I think though eating vegetables is a simple task. But children usually avoid veggies. So if children's superhero eats veggies, they will be inclined to eat this too.
I am of the view that the author should progressively add the difficulty level according to the mind of young readers.
Yes definitely, I hope the author makes the next books suitable for the next level of readers,i.e. children who have already mastered the basics.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I would hope for future installments to be focused on topics that are relevant to the age group. Maybe incorporate the first day of school, losing teeth, etc. Maybe he will get some interesting sidekicks and develop some new superpowers. Lots of fun possibilities.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I can't wait to find out what Toni will do next.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think Toni should do more than holiday activities, some unique which may inspire the kids and they could take more interesting the book.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Amy+++ wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 10:06 I can't wait to find out what Toni will do next.
Oh, I am curious too. The next installments will surely bring new adventure which Toni will do to entertain kids.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 01:43 I would hope for future installments to be focused on topics that are relevant to the age group. Maybe incorporate the first day of school, losing teeth, etc. Maybe he will get some interesting sidekicks and develop some new superpowers. Lots of fun possibilities.
Hmm, interesting. First day of school, loosing teeth...no doubt the would like to include all the activities in next series which are not only relevant but also engaging.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 01:43 I would hope for future installments to be focused on topics that are relevant to the age group. Maybe incorporate the first day of school, losing teeth, etc. Maybe he will get some interesting sidekicks and develop some new superpowers. Lots of fun possibilities.
I love the idea of age-appropriate activities like the first day of school. That is an excellent idea and can introduce children to concepts like bringing a lunch, riding a school bus, sitting in a classroom. There are so many possibilities for Toni. Especially when there isn't really much of a storyline for Base's writing strategy.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Maybe R.D. Base needs to take a poll to see which topics reviewers think would most interest children: first day of school, trip to the zoo, family vacation, or a picnic. There is an endless array of options. I don't know how she can decide!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

There are a lot of options available which the can use to make this book more interesting. It can include Toni's personal tasks, his relationship with his friends and family, his accomplishments at school and much more. Along this, the author can add some more activities in the book to make it more attractive and interactive.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 01:50
kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 12:07
prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:07

I'm thinking the same thing. Hoping for more valuable words will come out. Probably, outdoor games will increase.
There could be a sports book where "Toni plays" is a repetitive phrase or a vacation book where "Toni visits" if Base wanted to continue with being very simplistic and having only one verb used in each. She could also begin to add adjectives and adverbs. Toni pets a furry cat, Toni pets a colorful parrot, Toni pets a slimy lizard. :)
This is a very good idea. Gently introducing different verbs, adverbs and more nouns will bring in variation, make it more interesting and will be perfect for the next level of readers,who has already mastered the basics of reading and are looking for more.
Well, the book can take different modes. It can be specialized for each activity or all the different activities can be put together. In my view, each book of the series should contain at least 4 to 5 activities, because children like variety.

📕📖📰📓📕
Purity chelagat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Purity chelagat »

it will be very interesting to know that Toni was a superhero in the next book
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 13:08
Well, the book can take different modes. It can be specialized for each activity or all the different activities can be put together. In my view, each book of the series should contain at least 4 to 5 activities, because children like variety.
I'm not really sure why the idea of variety is being emphasized so much. My seven year old nephew loves to watch the same show over and over again, and he is more developed than Base's target audience. Children are not that complex. They will flip through the same book 100 times before it loses its entertainment value for them. The difficulty of the book series can be very gradual with only a few new words added and still be incredibly beneficial to children. They are not as easily bored as adults so try to stop looking at if from an adult perspective.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”