Toni the Superhero: Subtle Moral Lessons

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Toni the Superhero: Subtle Moral Lessons

Post by Adediran Israel »

Yes, the idea can be incorporated by other authors. Children at a very tender age like this will have the insight into how important the idea of doing chores at home looks like. It will motivate the children to be a better person.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kister Bless wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 03:35 The daily chores he does practically, making them seem like fun activities rather than tasks beautifies the book so much. I wish I had a young brother who would want to do chores to be like his superhero. I would be so happy.
I always tell my husband that when we have kids we have to always act like fruits are desserts so our children will want them rather than high sugared items. I think the same strategy applies here. If parents are heard mumbling and grumbling about cleaning the house, children are going to be predisposed to not like those activities either. If mom and dad can make those activities seem fun or even like a game, they may end up enjoying chores. We see kids playing with toy kitchens, vacuums, and brooms so why can't we encourage them to continue wanting to be like us. Let them know that cooking can be an enjoyable task.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Adediran Israel wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:48 Yes, the idea can be incorporated by other authors. Children at a very tender age like this will have the insight into how important the idea of doing chores at home looks like. It will motivate the children to be a better person.
The subtle lessons in this book are my favorite aspect of it. The lessons aren't too obvious as to be annoying. It would be great if more authors did the same!
Kdebbie7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kdebbie7 »

Everyone needs a superhero. Toni is a great role model for children learning to read. The book also promotes the development of good social skills and fosters a spirit of helping others. Even when Toni is not wearing his superhero costume, he does not lose his superhero abilities. He is a superhero because of the way he lives his life. This helps young readers develop healthy self-esteem. A young reader can model this same superhero status as they accomplish their daily tasks.

I found the book useful as it helps children to grow and develop their imaginative creativity at many levels. The illustrations are adorable and they will put a smile on the faces of young readers. It is definitely a must-have in school and children’s libraries, and parents can include it in their child’s personal collection of books at home. I rate teh book 4/5
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:14 I actually viewed the story differently. I thought Toni was a superhero with superpowers. At the beginning of the story, it states that he is a superhero and shows him flying. I took this statement at face value. In my opinion, the story showed that even superheroes do normal, routine activities. It reminds me of photos where you see a celebrity going to the grocery story without makeup and wearing sweatpants - just like other people. :)
I expected to find some superhero streaks in Toni,especially when the book clearly states him as one. Also, according to the back cover, the book shows what Toni does when 'he is not busy saving the world'. From all this, I really expected at least some glimpse of his superpowers. However, he is not a superhero per se even in the second book. So I finally came to believe that his superpowers lie in his healthy habits, cultural mind, playful nature and lively interactions with his family and friends.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Lolababs94 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 09:59 Did anyone else notice how the author introduced subtle moral lessons?
Your immediate perception of a superhero is someone with super powers. Toni is introduced as a superhero, not just because he has super powers, but also because he helps out in the house, does his chores, etc.

What do you think of this? And, do you think this is something that children authors can adopt in their writing?
I expected at least a few glimpses of the superpowers Toni supposedly possesses. But then his powers probably lie in his healthy habits, helpful nature, cultural activities and lively interactions with his family and friends. All of these make him an ideal character for a young child to follow.
I believe that most, if not all, children's stories come with some morals. It is a good way to inculcate good habits and moral values in a child from a very young and impressionable age.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yes, I certainly think this is a good concept that other authors can adopt within their own writings.
Last edited by gali on 02 Aug 2018, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that helping others is a great lesson to teach children. Flashy displays of heroism such as super strength or flying are overdepicted in the media. Demonstrating the value of helping others would encourage children to be an asset to both their families and their communities.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I think it's an interesting way of portraying a "superhero" character. As for authors using it, this is a great way to show kids that everyone is a person just like them, even if that person is rich or famous or has superpowers. I'd wager this lesson is in a lot of children's books already.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rosehibbard
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosehibbard.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Rosehibbard »

I think the moral lessons are great and I honesty think more children writers can use moral lessons in them.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I personally love the moral lessons. The fact that Toni is a superhero because he is helpful and kind is great. It helps teach kids important lessons. I definitely think it is something that can be adopted by other children's book authors.
Skyla227
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Skyla227 »

Tony is a superhero because,he is helpful and also kind. I believe this can be a children's book.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I think it is very clever of the author and parents should be happy as they can encourage their child to be a "superhero" by helping out with certain jobs. Although I think the most important part of any children's book is to want the child to read another book.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think children authors, by all means, could use stories that include subtle moral values, as well as, attitudes and behaviors. Toni had a great imagination and attitude as he did household chores and played with others. Stories that show healthy-minded children doing normal things are a good foundation for children to follow.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

The author made the title very catchy making the readers unaware what was being portrayed inside the book. Great job by the author.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”