Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by khusnick »

I really felt like it was a role model kind of thing. Toni is a superhero, and he can fly. But he still has regular interests and actually enjoys cleaning up around the house.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Yes, I agree about the influencing factor on author's part because he wants Toni a role model for kids by teaching them taking interest in household task and be obedient.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Superheroes don't always have to have superpowers. Sometimes being good is the superpower.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Carly-maricque wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2018, 09:26 I think the reason that Toni lacks "superhero abilities" is because the author wants to show children good values like reading, helping around the house, healthy eating, etc. When a superhero is doing these things it makes children want to do them too! When reading this book with my daughter, she was very excited that the superhero did some of the same things she does. It is a relatable book for children!
I agree with you! Children love to mimic what they have seen. I guess the author is thinking that way to enhance children's cooperation in our household chores.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

Carly-maricque wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2018, 09:26 I think the reason that Toni lacks "superhero abilities" is because the author wants to show children good values like reading, helping around the house, healthy eating, etc. When a superhero is doing these things it makes children want to do them too! When reading this book with my daughter, she was very excited that the superhero did some of the same things she does. It is a relatable book for children!
I agree with you! Children love to mimic what they have seen. I guess the author is thinking that way to enhance children's cooperation in our household chores.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I don't think Toni's "lack" of superpowers is for the safety of the children reading the book. I think, if anything, it is far more likely that the author did not have Toni have visible superpowers to make him more relatable to normal kids and to teach the lesson that even superheroes do ordinary things, thus encouraging children to do them as well.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

Maybe, in the next series more upcoming revelation of toni's superpowers.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

As this book is the first one in the series, I felt perhaps the author has other things she wants to address first. I got the impression the author wants to convey positive messages. This first book shows that being a hero represents being kind and helpful to others, including animals.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think Toni has superhero abilities. Any kid who helps around the house is a superhero of the best variety.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

The pictures do show him โ€œflyingโ€ in the book, but otherwise, he is a pretty normal kid. I think this is to let the kids relate to the superhero. Especially young kids take the author at her word when she says he is a superhero. Then they get to say, โ€œI like to run, Iโ€™m just like Toni!โ€ I watched it with my own son as I read the book to him. He didnโ€™t care that Toni didnโ€™t climb walls. He was excited that he was just like the superhero, and it encouraged him to think about others and how he can help.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It would ruin the theme to the book. I think it would sound more like a comic.
:techie-studyingbrown:
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Dael Reader wrote: โ†‘02 Jul 2018, 14:37 I think the author is subtly showing us that you don't need special powers to be a superhero. You can be a superhero to your family and friends by spending time with them and helping them out in ordinary ways. In fact, maybe the willingness to work and play and help others in need is the greatest superpower of all.
I think this opinion is spot on. I think all kids should know that they can be super heroes just by being all around good people. No matter their athletic abilities, intelligence etc.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

While I can't really tell the reason behind Toni's lack of superhero abilities, what I feel pretty sure of is that this omission was deliberate on the part of the author.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Dael Reader wrote: โ†‘02 Jul 2018, 14:37 I think the author is subtly showing us that you don't need special powers to be a superhero. You can be a superhero to your family and friends by spending time with them and helping them out in ordinary ways. In fact, maybe the willingness to work and play and help others in need is the greatest superpower of all.
I totally agree. There are so many โ€˜ordinaryโ€™ people who are the best super heros of all.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I don't think it was for safety reasons. I think it was to encourage children to be good kids, live a healthy lifestyle, and help around the house. Kids look up to superheroes, so the child may be more motivated to do these normal activities when asked. I don't think shielding children from superhero activities such as flying or jumping off of buildings is beneficial to a child. They are still going to try things that may be dangerous regardless of seeing it in media or not, and I think by seeing these things in books or movies, they get the idea that these are not things they can or should be doing.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Baseโ€