Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by Amy+++ »

I can see it as a safety concern. I can also see it as a way to teach kids to be more helpful around the house. Either way the author did a great job.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Of course that is for a safety reason. Kids believe in the possibility and practicable of whatever they read. If supernatural events were incorporated, believe you me some would try such at home.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I like that he is shown fighting villains because, while I don't think children should be participating in
direct action, I think it is something more adults should consider as a viable option when faced with real
world bad guys (ie. Nazis etc).
Mato mugo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mato mugo »

I think Toni having little superpowers and helping out in chores potrays how a child should be, not missing out in basic childhood life by doing risky things
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Yes, that is for safety reason as he is a big influence of many kids. Kids look up to him for inspiration.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Cristal2408 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 14:43 Something most noticed while reading is the lack of "superhero abilities" in Toni. He helps at home, plays and has a healthy lifestyle. He can fly too, but he is not shown battling villains, he is shown being a good kid and son. Do you think this is because the author didn't want children jumping through the roof wanting to be like Toni? Are the actions meant to influence kids towards helping at home and being well behaved? Is it safer for children to read this book rather than modern superheroes?
I actually agree that the author wants the children to behave and not to jump off on the roof. I think it is for the safety of the children, that thought did not cross my mind when reading it. ☺
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

There are no superheroes in modern societies. Only hardworking and successful characters are regarded as superheroes.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Grownups tend to dumb things down for kids and quite often authors are tempted to "hide" a lessons in the books. With kids you may get away with it for a while but it can be tempting to do it all the way up to YA and that's where people get their lessons if they haven't had them before.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

It is much safer for children to read this book since it has no unnatural events. It reflects the life of children in real life society.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Kareka88 »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:38
Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:37 I think the author is subtly showing us that you don't need special powers to be a superhero. You can be a superhero to your family and friends by spending time with them and helping them out in ordinary ways. In fact, maybe the willingness to work and play and help others in need is the greatest superpower of all.
I completely agree. Even though Toni does not have superpowers that we normally associate with superhero's. Yes, he does have superpowers to help around the house, to do things for others, and to help those in need.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Safety concerns were exactly the reason I thought that they kept his abilities at a minimum. But in these times living healthy, well behaved, and active lifestyles have to be elevated to a higher degree. To make children strive for excellence and have positive role models/ examples.
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:37 I think the author is subtly showing us that you don't need special powers to be a superhero. You can be a superhero to your family and friends by spending time with them and helping them out in ordinary ways. In fact, maybe the willingness to work and play and help others in need is the greatest superpower of all.
Yes, I agree. It resonates with what my daughter's school do where they get the children to nominate each other for being 'Super Six' for acts of kindness they've shown that week.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Considering the target readers, I believe the parameter of this book regarding Toni is safer. I think the author meant to influence kids into being a hero through their dispositions rather than through extraordinary superhero stuff. In fact I consider the beauty of this book is the idea that you don't have to have special powers to be a hero but being kind and helpful is what that matters.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html

Post by edith38 »

Kids idealize superheros and want to be them. However, if only powers are "magical" that you can only be (super)hero when you have magical ability. Such a thought pattern can make people feel hopeless, like on matter what they do they can't live up to their idols. Hence having a more accessible heroes for kids to relate could encourage them to be better person. instead of thinking that somebody else will come and solve the problems. I don't think kids are too likely to jump of the roof in hope of being able to fly or such.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:38
This exactly.
Thanks for the beautiful explanation! Well said!

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”