Should there be a dad?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Re: Should there be a dad?

Post by Kristy Khem »

There definitely should be a dad in the story!
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

Surely where is the dad? I think the author should have included him somewhere or if the author is trying to point out one parent family, she should have come out clear. I am so desperate about this matter.
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:19 This is the first time I realised the dad figure was missing! For the record, a dad and some siblings would make the story more interesting. Maybe even a pet (and showing pet-related chores). We don't know what the author intended so will have to wait to see where she goes next.
I agree! For me I don’t think it harmed it in any way, I just feel like it would be interesting to see what a dad would do. A pet is a good idea, I never think of these things since I’d seems so simple. As you said, we shall see!
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

JudasFm wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:40
jessinikkip wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 19:28 Ambiguity isn't always a bad thing, as evidenced by this book. It's good to see the change here from breaking down a traditional family to more of a "figure it out on your own" approach.
Agreed. I'm all in favor of a 'nuclear' family, but I don't want the emphasis on that to overshadow the story.

Some parents are also better off divorced. A Mom and Dad who hate each other but stay together "for the sake of the children" end up doing more harm than good, and that's without getting into the issue of DV. Two parent families are all very well, but there's nothing wrong with coming from a single-parent family either :)

And I agree that the Mystery Man in the pool could be Dad. At least, that's how I saw it :)
As did I, actually. It wasn't until this post came up that I realized it wasn't actually ever made clear if he was or not.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Bookmermaid wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:28
Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 16:01 Toni is shown enjoying many activities with Mom and his friends. I appreciate that family and friendship are subtly depicted as joyful experiences. But hey, we don't see Dad!

Do you agree with me that a dad would be a wonderful addition to the story? Dads should be shown as interested in their children's everyday lives. Maybe Dad could join as the dishwasher. What a resounding message that would send!

I agree that it would be great to have a second parent in there somewhere! A lot of books like this tend to depict only one parent (which isn't unusual but still it would be cool to have more with more than one). Get that other parent in there and show th importance of family and spending time with family!
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

JudasFm wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:40
jessinikkip wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 19:28 Ambiguity isn't always a bad thing, as evidenced by this book. It's good to see the change here from breaking down a traditional family to more of a "figure it out on your own" approach.
Agreed. I'm all in favor of a 'nuclear' family, but I don't want the emphasis on that to overshadow the story.

Some parents are also better off divorced. A Mom and Dad who hate each other but stay together "for the sake of the children" end up doing more harm than good, and that's without getting into the issue of DV. Two parent families are all very well, but there's nothing wrong with coming from a single-parent family either :)

And I agree that the Mystery Man in the pool could be Dad. At least, that's how I saw it :)
Excellent point. After reading your post I think it would be more inclusive somehow to not have an official 'Dad'. I think it would speak to all those who are not in conventional two-parent families.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:19 This is the first time I realised the dad figure was missing! For the record, a dad and some siblings would make the story more interesting. Maybe even a pet (and showing pet-related chores). We don't know what the author intended so will have to wait to see where she goes next.
I totally agree. A dad means a balanced home setting and sorts of increases the books coverage. If there had been a dad, it most definitely would have had a greater appeal.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Parenting is a team work which involves both mothers and fathers taking active participation in a child’s life.
He can be just as loving and nurturing as the mother. As children grow up, fathers assume the role of a friend, guide and mentor. So I definitely agree with you that a dad would be a good addition to the story.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aditi1992 »

I agree that a dad must be a wonderful addition to the story. It would seem more real and parents would have connected better with the book.
JoshAtoms
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by JoshAtoms »

Yeees, without Dads, there will be no MOMs
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by mariacarolinea »

I think without a Dad the book can connect better with other type of families and maybe not cause a painful reminder in young children. Unfortunately, not every kid grows up with a father figure.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Yes of course I will appreciate to the presence of a dad in the life of Toni in the given story. Because dad always plays the role of a hero in every home without which he story seems to be inconvenient.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

A dad would help bring forth a complete family setting. It is warm to see the joy in a complete family.
Marcos Vera
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcos-vera.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Marcos Vera »

Seeing the love of a complete family is wonderful. Dad makes a family complete and surely influences their children development.
Michael Kevin
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kevin.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Michael Kevin »

Yes I agree. A dad always play his role by giving moral support which is useful in the the future of his children.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”