Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Oyebola johnson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Oyebola johnson »

this book is a great and nice book for Children. :!: it will teach them not to only play with electric but to play with normal toys like our other member eg ball
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Hopefully. I think children can be encouraged to go outside and explore new things after reading this book.
:tiphat:
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I think children today should be given a limit when using electronics. The thing is, some parents tolaterate their kids using tablets and phones because it "tames" them and keeps them occupied. I believe children, at some point, manifest some interest in sports/ music/ arts, etc., and that is what adults need to pay attention to so they can encourage them. Technology may be evolving but kids need to learn face to face interaction too.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

I don't think we should set up outdoor playing as the opposite of screen time. There's productive screen time and ways for electronic games to positively impact kids' lives, and I think when parents forbid their children from doing something, that only becomes more desirable. A good balance of activities is best for kids.
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by psspcj »

If we are able to get the kids to read this book about Toni, it will certainly make them wonder why a super hero is not mobile or television freak. Good food for their thoughts.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.

I must clearly state that times have changed. Children of this era are different from those born in the 1990s.

Kids nowadays enjoy any thing digital. They can't be blamed because of advancement in technology. They now have electronics like Play Station which I must admit is more entertaining than kicking a football around. Although such traditional toys can be engaging for them too but it depends on the parents.

Yours sincerely.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.

I must clearly state that times have changed. Children of this era are different from those born in the 1990s.

Kids nowadays enjoy any thing digital. They can't be blamed because of advancement in technology. They now have electronics like Play Station which I must admit is more entertaining than kicking a football around. Although such traditional toys can be engaging for them too but it depends on the parents.

Yours sincerely.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 01:20 I definitely think children spend way to much time on electronics and I hope this story along with some encouragement from parents will get them outside doing more physical activities.
I think though some parents can encorage their kids to do more physical things, some might still object to this.

For example the attention of modern gaming systems are so grasping that even adults can find hard to resist at times. Perhaps others ways can be used to ensure this works.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

bb587 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:49 My niece likes playing with electronics, but she'll drop everything if there's a chance to play outside. Electronics are a part of their future. I think all interests should be encouraged and nurtured. If a child likes watching movies discuss the movies afterwards, act them out, or have them write/tell their own version.

That's the point I have trying to say: electronics are attention grabbing. Even adults can be distracted by it and lose quality time.

I have also observed and seen the rapt attention gamers pay when playing games for example.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

llpwap wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:43 It was refreshing to read about a child that didn’t have a phone or game controller stuck to his hand. I have seen kids sit in the same room and text each other instead of talking to each other. I hope that reading this book and some good examples set by parents will encourage children to play outdoors instead of in the house all day.

Kids texting each other in the same room shows the extent of electronics effects on children.

I think it is duty of parents not only to be models to their children but to limit the use of electronics by their children. This might be the only way to halt this trend.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:33 I suspect this single book will not convince all children to go outside and play instead of watching TV. But I applaud the author for giving us such a superhero who isn't plugged in, who knows how to work and play with friends and family. I do think that most children spend too much time with computers and television. But I also think it's largely their parents' fault. If you don't limit your child's device time or play with them (inside or out), or read to them, or encourage them to do other activities, of course they might be more likely to plug in for entertainment.

This is same point I am trying to make: it is the responsibility of parents to regulate their children's time of exposure to all forms of electronics.

But what do we see these days, excess freedom without restrictions. We are in an era where TV have has more influence on our children than family depending on the amount of time or duration. I'm glad to see a book that teaches otherwise.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 19:02 Children are surrounded with electronics. So many schools today require notebook computers or a tablet, and of course younger and younger children are on phones.

This book is definitely good for encouraging movement and non-electronic play!

:saberduel2:

I think the book can only do so when there are adequate provisions for that. For example, a stricter control measure that keeps all electronic gadgets away.

Although this can only permited for education purposes. I think the author has really send out a positive message unknowly.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Charlaigne wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 00:31 Good pick up about Toni not being on some electronic device. My nephews and niece are familiar with electronic devices but also enjoy their legos and books. I think this is because their dad, their grandmother and myself make a concerted effort not to be stuck on an electronic device for too long. Their mother is another story. She's always on Facebook. We try to counteract her behaviour.

kfwilson, I hope your nephew can find someone else to play legos with him. So sad! We would be more than happy to :)

It is amazing to see kids that can balance the distractions from electronic and still focus on their studies.

Now I wonder how they are able to do that. Because only few kids can handle such distractions.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Kibetious wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:31 Of course, it will help some children provided parents will also encourage them to do so. It happens that nowadays most kids prefer staying indoors in front of televisions or Video games. These habits may make the children be antisocial and also be detrimental to their health as well. It is good that kids learn that they can also have fun outside the house.

I totally agree that the trend of kids who prefer games to activities like studying is alarming.

But in somes cases there is little a parent can do about it than restricting their exposure to electronics.

I forget to admit that gaming is such a distracting force due to the attention it demands.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

abeerashafique98 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:37 In the modern era kids ate highly influenced by electronics but under the right supervision the negative effect can be eliminated ipads and iphones can also be used for educational pusposes but ofcourse the joy of playing outside has its own perks children should be encouraged to play outside and spend time in healthy activities
Yes , it is true that the negative effect of electronics can be limited but it will require two things for that to work: A disciplined parent and an obedient child.

No matter the measures some parents use to control their children, some will find the pleasure else secretly even ion a friends house.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”