Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Mr Benji »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:55 Having a sister who is 16 years younger than me has definitely been interesting. My other two siblings are relatively close to my age, my brother being 3 years younger and my other sister being 6 years younger, we grew up playing outside and riding bikes and reading. Granted, there was TV watching, the start of computer and video gaming, but often times my mom tried to get us out of the house. Whereas my youngest sister, who is now the only one left at home, has grown up with a phone or tablet in her hand. She's gotten hand-me-down handheld consoles from us. She does still play outside, but in comparison, it's a lot less than what I grew up with. It would be fantastic if a book like this could encourage kids to get outside and play more, but I think it has to be something that starts with the parents, older siblings, or even the child's friends helping them along to experience the outdoors.

Kids are so teachable that they simply follow
examples. This is a major duty a parent must assumed. Sadly not all parents are to be emulated.

On the issue of outdoor activities, the parents can simply be around while they play outside.

And I wish there are more books like Toni the superhero that helps to promote these activities.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Bukari wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 02:20 I think the setting of the story also comes into play when we want to deal with the playing ground. Perhaps Toni was in a place where there were no electronics.

Yes, the setting actually affects an individual, but for Toni I can remember him dancing in one of the pages.

But I can't recall seeing any game or TV except a radio player?

Would you call that an electronics too?
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 07:35 When I was growing up there wasn't so much gadgets and electronics, out door was inevitable. These days kids stay on their electronics more. I dare say they're missing a lot especially in human relationships.

Indeed children that stays indoors are missing the fun outside. As meeting friends helps one to be more social.

But this is not to dispute the fact that there useful activities that can only be done in doors.

One of such is reading and doing of homework. I think this can also improve their relationship.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Zain A Blade wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 13:15 I do love that the author took outdoor activities into perspective in the book. It could help kids to learn other ways of having fun.

It is true the book can has provide a way to help kids on having fun with outside activities.

But this is not without the supervision of parents. This is to ensure the safety of the child.

The book is really helpful.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Riszell wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 04:44 Nowadays, children tend to play more on electronics and that's sad. It is more fun and enjoyable to play outside and to move the bodies as kids play. It is healthier and more sociable. So I guess this book is very helpful to encourage children to do more outside activities.

I think we should find a way to balance the use of electronics and outdoor activities.

This is not possible except parents are involved. And not just parents but. Disciplined and determined ones.

Lastly, kids must be made to see the reason for this action else they might misunderstand the good motive.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Sicily Joy wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 23:51 There are some educational and social benefits to electronic use. However, too much time online can be distracting. I can see why a book that is promoting reading would not have electronics featured. Personally, when I am online a lot I know my reading time suffers greatly.

I fully agree that the uncontrolled use of electronics can be distracting most times.

But having the self-control and initiative to do so can be greatly difficult.

I think the book is effective to this point by totally eliminating the access to these time-cosnsuming electronics.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Sicily Joy wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 23:51 There are some educational and social benefits to electronic use. However, too much time online can be distracting. I can see why a book that is promoting reading would not have electronics featured. Personally, when I am online a lot I know my reading time suffers greatly.

I fully agree that the uncontrolled use of electronics can be distracting most times.

But having the self-control and initiative to do so can be greatly difficult.

I think the book is effective to this point by totally eliminating the access to these time-cosnsuming electronics.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 23:26
Mr Benji wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 21:04
Kibetious wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:31 Of course, it will help some children provided parents will also encourage them to do so. It happens that nowadays most kids prefer staying indoors in front of televisions or Video games. These habits may make the children be antisocial and also be detrimental to their health as well. It is good that kids learn that they can also have fun outside the house.

I totally agree that the trend of kids who prefer games to activities like studying is alarming.

But in somes cases there is little a parent can do about it than restricting their exposure to electronics.

I forget to admit that gaming is such a distracting force due to the attention it demands.
This is equally true. Sometimes to achieve something, extra measures have to be taken and this may include restricting access to electronics.

Well pointed out, kibetious.

And I hope the kids cooperate with their parents about the restricted access.
Books are lovely.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

You can't get many grown-ups out of their smartphones, kids are much worse! It's very sad and makes us, humans, weak. I don't believe any book would change a teenager's life so much as to leave the electronics behind. Because that's how electronics are made - to be something we get easily addicted to. Easy, fast-paced, symbol-based media transmitters that make us feel the satisfaction of getting big amounts of information even though that information is worthless... I hope I'm wrong.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Sadly too many parents choose screen time to entertain and babysit their children. It's so much easier to turn on the tv, give them a tablet or phone, and plunk kids down in front of a video game. It takes time and energy to limit screen time. Because of the demands of life and work, many parents have neither. I applaud courageous parents who chose to limit screen time for their children AND for themselves. It's certainly a much-needed sacrifice today. Any book that can encourage time away from a screen deserves praise as well.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

Today's children spend a lot of time with electronic objects such as smart phones, tablets, etc. These are things that are not good for brain development and other abilities they have, a story in a book or film even though it is biological there must be a thing educate in it, especially education for children.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Kids having electronics like big phone and tablets is so new.. that generation are not yet adults and therefor we have no idea how it will affect them throughout their lives. As someone who grew up with 10 minutes of TV time, a cassette player and the lingering tone of my mom's voice in my head yelling "Go play outside!" I honestly don't know if it's worse for kids to be able to have all those learning apps on electronics or not. Could that really be worse for them than making mud pies outside and literally eating dirt because it suddenly was in the rough shape of a desert?
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

It's much better to play outside, provided it's with supervision. However, nowadays everyone is too busy and it's easier and not to mention much more convenient to keep children busy with mobiles or video games, while there are certain apps or games that actually induce development, outdoor activities are still absolutely essential! Having a limited screen time and restricting what the child watches during that time could definitely help though!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

one of the things i loved most about this book was how it encouraged kids to get outside.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

We live in such a technological world, and it seems like even young kids are technologically savvy. I think parents have to prioritize and monitor their children. I sometimes have to push my kids to go outside and play. But I can remember my mom doing the same. Of, course in my day it was because we got the new Atari and didn't want to stop playing. Everything is a balance.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”