Contribution to Diversity

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Re: Contribution to Diversity

Post by dbulkley »

This one is definitely good for diversity. This is also a good one for parents to read to their children. It is important for children to treat all races the same and not have any bias towards one or the other. I don't understand why there are so many cliches in cultures and why everyone is judgemental. We are all human and have emotions, we need to teach the children of the world differently than ever before. This book is a step in the right direction.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I did notice and liked seeing the diversity in Toni's friends. A five-year-old certainly won't notice it consciously but the message gets transmitted that differences are celebrated. A friend's sister has an adopted african child. He loves these books for obvious reasons. He can see himself in a setting with a group of friends that looks and feels very close to his real world. Good discussion.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

It's great to see more books where the central character is of other ethnicities and also playing with kids of a variety of backgrounds and genders. It's so important for kids to be able to read books that mirror their life.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

holsam_87 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 17:52 It will definitely show that friends can come from all backgrounds.
This exactly. Sweet, simple, and true.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Actually, this subtle message, would most likely be noticed by adults and not children.Children with their carefree and innocent attitude, don't actually select children they interact with, unless if taught by their parents or adults.All the same, it was nice the author included this subtle message.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

By reading the book children will be able to fight against racism.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

dbulkley wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 20:41 This one is definitely good for diversity. This is also a good one for parents to read to their children. It is important for children to treat all races the same and not have any bias towards one or the other. I don't understand why there are so many cliches in cultures and why everyone is judgemental. We are all human and have emotions, we need to teach the children of the world differently than ever before. This book is a step in the right direction.
People struggle so much to empathize with others. If you can't see life from another person's perspective because you are too involved with what you feel, think, want you will never be able to understand, respect, or have compassion for others. The sooner we can teach children the value of other people and their similarities, the better.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Nma26 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 10:20 Actually, this subtle message, would most likely be noticed by adults and not children.Children with their carefree and innocent attitude, don't actually select children they interact with, unless if taught by their parents or adults.All the same, it was nice the author included this subtle message.
The subtle way in which Base presents lessons and values is commendable. I like how many she was able to incorporate in what appears to be a very simplistic children's book.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think it is a good book to eliminate racial discrimination. Which is prevalent now a days.we need to wipe out this from little minds
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

booklysis wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 10:51 By reading the book children will be able to fight against racism.
Of coarse this book will help a lot to fight against racial differences. We all should participate in it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

The idea of diversity or culture respect woukd be relayed to the children if it is well explained to them. So to answer your question, it would probably depend on the parents perception and teachings on their children.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I can hope that Toni The Superhero will send the author's intended message. In that, the world is a diversified rainbow of colors and we are all in.
Last edited by gali on 02 Aug 2018, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that it's great that the main character is a minority! Most protagonists in books, especially children's books, are white. While there is nothing wrong with having a white protagonist, it becomes more difficult for minority readers to relate with the characters. Showing Toni interacting with other children of different ethnicities teaches children that everyone is worthy of having a friend.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

ScoutWrites wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 20:22 I think it's important that Toni's friends are different ethnicities, not necessarily because kids will notice this, but because I think they would notice if all the characters were the same. Maybe not consciously, but it would have a subconscious effect, and we definitely shouldn't be communicating to our children that they can only be friends with people who look like them.
I definitely agree with this! I took me forever to graduate from watching cartoons to live action television, because all the actors were caucasian and I couldn't tell them apart! :lol2: (By the way, I myself am a white girl...)
It felt like the same four actors/actresses were in every tv show and film. Compared to that, I at least got some Asian and black characters in my cartoons (and if all else failed, the characters always wore the same clothes, so I could tell them apart by that! :lol: )
Even now I notice that I drift to shows where the characters all look different. I don't remember what kind of books I read when I was little, but I'm sure there were plenty of books like Toni the Superhero!
tanyas33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyas33.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by tanyas33 »

I love the fact that kids of all different ethnicities are shown throughout this book! The most important thing for kids is representation. Kids want to see themselves within their favourite character, they want to relate to their favourite character, and they want to positively see someone like them in the media. However, oftentimes children of colour are unfortunately not represented or portrayed in the media, and may in fact be represented and portrayed in negative lights or stereotypes, which horribly resonates with children. This, however, is thankfully changing, and I am so glad that all ethnicities are positively represented in this beautiful children’s book. The inclusion of different ethnicities lets children of colour know that they matter, that they are seen and heard, that they belong and that they are capable of so much good. It just really warms my heart to see the inclusion and celebration of different ethnicities in this kid’s book, as this positive representation and portrayal really resonates with the child in a wonderful way.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”