Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Re: Use of Questions

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

This book is intended to teach kids to read, so I wouldn’t necessarily include questions throughout. That being said, a list of potential topics for the parent to use to spark a discussion with their child could also be beneficial.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

A questions segment would be a great idea to find out what the kids learned.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I am a little late to the party, but I agree with some of the other comments. The section does not necessarily need to be included in the book, but parents or teachers can choose their own questions and use those to engage with their children and/students. Great idea though :)
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

I agree that questions are neither necessary nor appropriate for this book. With the intent being to teach children in this age range how to read, it is important to stay focused on this goal. Maintaining the attention span of a 3-year old is hard enough without trying to add too many distractors into the lesson plan. It is easy enough, as I've seen a few others mention, for the parent to ask questions about the book outside of the reading time. Anyway, I'm not an educator, but that's what I did with my kids when they were young.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I think it is not necessary, since the the author intended to teach the readers to read. Reading in a way that they understood the story.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I think that's a wonderful idea! Honestly I'm sure the children picked up on these lessons but kept them at the back of their minds; asking these questions could make them ponder on these lessons and internalize them.
klballard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klballard.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by klballard »

I have a child who is currently learning to read, and I think questions are a bad idea. What I have seen is that the questions are so short and easy, that is all that he reads, then he waits on me to give an answer. When I say that the answer is in the book and he has to read it to find out, he groans and says it’s too hard.

To ask questions that don’t have a straightforward answer and requires kids to think even harder might be even more of a challenge.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Zain A Blade wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 14:35 I think adding points for lessons learned at the end of each section is a good idea, can help to bring things into perspective for reader.
I can see where this would be helpful for parents or older children who may be introducing the book to a younger child. Whether these are there or not many parents will use them as a discussion after reading a book. I know my children and I had many discussion at the end of reading a book to them. It's how you teach provlem-solving and independent thought.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:13 I think the lessons are meant to be subtle. Sort of a subliminal messaging type of thing, like when a character in a movie drinks a coke, you may not realize later what made you want a coke, but it was that image of it on the screen. It's not a right in your face sort of lesson. I like it without the questions. Questions can be added by the parent during shared reading time.
I can't improve on this. That's my view as well.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This is a bad idea . Adding questions to story book will make the children's bore a lot.
---
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Nope. I don't think that a separate section where the reader is asked to point out lessons learned should be there. Parents can always ask these questions at the end of their reading time with their children. Instead, I would want the children to try to derive the lessons themselves instead of being poked to do so.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Kibetious wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:31 Reading this book, one can realize that there are quite a number of lessons to be drawn from it. However, these lessons may prove hard to point out for the kids. Should there be a section where the reader is asked to point out lessons learned or perhaps, in the end, asked whether Toni is a superhero and give reasons for the answer?
Would like to hear get comments on this.

A quetion and answer section would be welcome idea. The issue will be that the help of adults or older siblings will be needed.

There are simple lessons to point out. For example, the benefits of the variety of fruits on some pages.

Children can aked to either spell them out or simply colour them.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Zain A Blade wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 14:35 I think adding points for lessons learned at the end of each section is a good idea, can help to bring things into perspective for reader.

Quite true that it brings a clearer perpective to the children.

But we must forget that this not likely possible without guidance from the parents.To help explain this point and clear any area of confusion.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 16:00 I think that discussion questions are completely unnecessary for this book. The author's intention was not to spur discussion, but to teach kids to read. In a book where discussion is important, sure, I support the inclusion of questions. For this one, the discussion should be left to the parents to decide what and how much to discuss with their kids.

It is purposeful to see a book that tesches kids to read. However, it will require cooperation from parents in order to enforce this.

And I agreed that they must decide what parts and amount of time to discuss with their children
Books are lovely.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Questions are good but they should not take a considerable amount of space in the book since it is a kid's book and therefore a kid should be able to read on his/her own without necessarily having the parent/guardian there to take them through the questions.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”