Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Use of Questions

Post by kfwilson6 »

Harzelryan wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 14:44 In as much as the author wanted to teach kids how to read there also should be a lesson learnt from the book. This will also add more value to the book.
Lessons don't necessarily need to be explicitly stated for children to learn them. The whole concept of modeling after someone else doesn't happen because they told you to do it. It happens because you admire them for some reason and want to emulate them. I think the same is true of the story about Toni. The lessons are subtle and children don't necessarily need to be told they should help around the house. They just see that Toni, who is written to be a good role model, does it, so maybe they might want to be like Toni.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Adediran Israel wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:53 I welcome this kind of idea. In fact, I have never seen a teens book that will end without any actual questions about the chapter he/she just completed.
Questions are usually included for school going children. This book is designed so simple, so it goes well without questions answer session but the author can bring new books with a bit complexity and questions. Indeed it will make the book more interactive.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Jkhorner wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 08:08 I don’t think it would hurt to add a question/answer section in the back of the book as an option for parents. That being said, I appreciate the other commenters pointing out that the goal is learning to read, not learning to do chores. So maybe it’s not necessary, but it wouldn’t hurt.
Yes, the using questions is not necessary, parents and teachers can make their self for their children and students. But if included it will be good addition and will be convenient for parents to discuss it with children.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 04:29 I think this is an interesting idea. This book not only helps children to learn to read, but Toni's daily activities are something that can help the children to inculcate good habits as well. So a short section at the end to see what they learnt seems appropriate. However, even if that is not available, I think the parents themselves can ask the child what his/her impression was after reading the book.
I agree parents usually take a feedback from their child whether he/she liked this book or not. According to a child's response they ask different questions.

📕📖📰📓📕
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Including a discussion question or activity page could be a great way to get the message of the book across to children. Parents could go over with their children the value of the book and its importance.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I don't know if the book needs something like this, but it could be useful. On the other hand, without a question section parents can ask what they think is important, and it leaves room for kids to come up with their own questions, too.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

Absolutely it should. But for me, it should come with a question book separately from the main book. Adding questions to the mother book will just make it bulkier and thus unwelcoming.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Adding questions would make it feel too much like formal teaching which could be off-putting. Far better to allow for the reader's imagination to do its own thing...
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It seems like to me that the book does not need to add questions. It is a simple straightforward message that the child can enjoy reading. If a parent or adult is reading the book with the child, questions could be a natural part of talking about the book, pictures, or Toni. I prefer the freedom of the adult to ask questions that are appropriate to the child's age and interest as a way to interact with the child.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I think questions would spoil it for me. We had too much of that in English class; we were never allowed to just read and enjoy a book, but we had to figure out symbolism and what the author "really wanted to say" and why we're able to understand a character is sad when he/she cries (I'd love to have heard the author's opinion on these so-called hidden meanings!)

Discussion can help build understanding and might be a fun activity, but I think it should be more spontaneous :)
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

I think adding a section for questions wouldn't be relevant. To me the point is getting the moral lessons taught into ones mind. They may be subtle, but they are perfect that way.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Adding questions wouldn't be too necessary. I do think the point is to teach kids how to read.
Brian Owori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brian Owori »

I think you could just jot down a few guide questions and the person guiding the reader could build on those questions. Otherwise not a bad idea .
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I feel like this would be a good idea. Rather than writing it out at the end of each chapter make a author’s note at the end.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I don't think it is necessary to have a section, but the parent can ask the child questions and encourage the child to think about the answer. This way, the parent can ask many different questions, or ask the same question in different ways, which may contribute to a greater understanding for the child.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”