Origin of Toni's powers

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Origin of Toni's powers

Post by Julez »

I wonder if the plot of the book would have been made more interesting by stating the origin of his powers just like other superheroes. What do you think?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Interesting idea. Current book is the introduction of Toni's Personality. May be the next book will state about the origin of Toni's powers.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 10:18 Interesting idea. Current book is the introduction of Toni's Personality. May be the next book will state about the origin of Toni's powers.
The titles for the next series doesn't look like it but I guess we'll have to see.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

As far as I could get from the discussions, the next book shows how veggies are important to build power. Well, I hope that the origin of Toni's superpowers will not be listed solely as eating vegetables. However, apart from his cape and suit and one flying photograph, Toni hasn't even shown his superpowers yet. I am hoping to see something along those lines in the next books.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 03:00 As far as I could get from the discussions, the next book shows how veggies are important to build power. Well, I hope that the origin of Toni's superpowers will not be listed solely as eating vegetables. However, apart from his cape and suit and one flying photograph, Toni hasn't even shown his superpowers yet. I am hoping to see something along those lines in the next books.
I agree with you. Listing the origin of his powers from vegetable would sound quite cliché. We'll see what the next series unfolds.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Lynsyn »

Honestly speaking, I don't think the author will be showing us Toni's origin of powers anytime soon since this book is primarily intended for kids to learn reading which doesn't really focus on the plot but more on the repetitive sentences. But it would be really interesting if the author did state Toni's origin of powers.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't expect much plot or backstory or character development from this series. The blurb for the Toni Likes Vegetables book indicates that his enemy is germs. Makes it sound like we might see Toni brushing his teeth, bathing, and washing his hands regularly. Doesn't seem like he will have what we consider superpowers. I find this pretty misleading. If Toni isn't really a superhero then maybe Base should have said he likes to dress like one or act brave like one. Something like that.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

kfwilson6 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 08:41 I don't expect much plot or backstory or character development from this series. The blurb for the Toni Likes Vegetables book indicates that his enemy is germs. Makes it sound like we might see Toni brushing his teeth, bathing, and washing his hands regularly. Doesn't seem like he will have what we consider superpowers. I find this pretty misleading. If Toni isn't really a superhero then maybe Base should have said he likes to dress like one or act brave like one. Something like that.
Your comment makes me wonder if the young readers will catch this as well. Will the children reading this feel defrauded because Toni doesn't leap tall buildings in a single bound?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 03:00 As far as I could get from the discussions, the next book shows how veggies are important to build power. Well, I hope that the origin of Toni's superpowers will not be listed solely as eating vegetables. However, apart from his cape and suit and one flying photograph, Toni hasn't even shown his superpowers yet. I am hoping to see something along those lines in the next books.
Well, the next book would be good enough if it deals with veggies. Any how you are right that Toni focus is more on a daily chores instead of showing some superpowers.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I do not think that the origins of being a kind, caring and helpful child are of any importance to the book. This is not a psychological discussion - it is a book written for a 2 - 4 year old. (In my humble opinion)
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Isn't every kid a superhero at heart? It doesn't matter whether or not he has supernatural powers. He likes to read! That's the only real superpower you need!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Julez wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 08:36 I wonder if the plot of the book would have been made more interesting by stating the origin of his powers just like other superheroes. What do you think?
Interesting thought, but I doubt the children are sitting around wondering so much about it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

AmySmiles wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 08:28
Julez wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 08:36 I wonder if the plot of the book would have been made more interesting by stating the origin of his powers just like other superheroes. What do you think?
Interesting thought, but I doubt the children are sitting around wondering so much about it.
I agree. I don't think they are thinking that far or that deeply into the situation. Especially since Toni isn't specifically said to be flying, shooting eye lasers, or displaying super strength. There is not much to prompt the question.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

CinWin wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 22:28 I do not think that the origins of being a kind, caring and helpful child are of any importance to the book. This is not a psychological discussion - it is a book written for a 2 - 4 year old. (In my humble opinion)
I agree. While we hope that the subtle lessons of this book will have an impact on children, it is unlikely anything will be explicitly recognized by them. They are just enjoying the colorful pictures and learning how to match up the words with the images.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I believe R.D Base wanted to show that every child can become a Superhero through good behaviour. I guess most parents would call any child that willingly performs household chores or even just put all their toys in case their own hero. Origin backstory or not, should not detract from the role model Toni the Superhero is being portrayed as.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”