Steampunk/Science Fiction Discussion

For July 2018 we will be reading Steampunk/Science Fiction.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Steampunk/Science Fiction Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Welcome to our July Genre Discussion! :D As there was a tie between two genres, I decided to focus on Steampunk/Science Fiction for this month, and the other genre next month.
  • Steampunk can be considered as "a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery."
  • Science Fiction can be thought of as, "a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as advanced science and technology, spaceflight, time travel, and extraterrestrial life."
- What did you read this month for our genre discussion?
- Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?
- What trait(s) made the book you chose unique to this genre?
- Would you recommend this read?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:37 Welcome to our July Genre Discussion! :D As there was a tie between two genres, I decided to focus on Steampunk/Science Fiction for this month, and the other genre next month.
  • Steampunk can be considered as "a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery."
  • Science Fiction can be thought of as, "a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as advanced science and technology, spaceflight, time travel, and extraterrestrial life."
I have read " Zeva-Book 1 by Tesha Finley. It has a very light science fiction element and some fantasy elements. Although the plot was a bit predictable, I enjoyed it. The story moved at a reasonable pace,and I never got bored at any point of time. It wasn't well edited, though. I noticed quite a few grammatical errors. I would recommend this read to YA.

I think that I will choose another book for this month, but Steampunk this time. I love Steampunk!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

I just finished John Scalzi's "Head On."

A great read, it played out as a sort of near-future murder investigation.

Scalzi created a very interesting, believable future setting, and used it wonderfully as the backdrop and partial driver of the story, without getting too over-the-top with the violence or getting bogged down in technical details.

It was different from my usual sci-fi fare, and rather refreshing.

I would definitely recommend it!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 23:50 I have read " Zeva-Book 1 by Tesha Finley. It has a very light science fiction element and some fantasy elements. Although the plot was a bit predictable, I enjoyed it. The story moved at a reasonable pace,and I never got bored at any point of time. It wasn't well edited, though. I noticed quite a few grammatical errors. I would recommend this read to YA.

I think that I will choose another book for this month, but Steampunk this time. I love Steampunk!
It's great that you finished and found it to be enjoyable! I have a few chapters left, and, unfortunately, I'm not enjoying it as much. I agree, so far, the plot is somewhat predictable and there were several grammatical errors. (I also wasn't a fan of "I want to be with you; me too; but I can't; fine I don't either; but I want to; me too" cycle toward the beginning, lol. When I'm completely finish, I'll come back and give my complete thoughts. :)

Nice! I can't wait to see what you read under the Steampunk subgenre!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

S Chinaski wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 01:38 I just finished John Scalzi's "Head On."

Scalzi created a very interesting, believable future setting, and used it wonderfully as the backdrop and partial driver of the story, without getting too over-the-top with the violence or getting bogged down in technical details.

Hm... :eusa-think: That does sound interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the recommendation!
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have his Lock In waiting for me. So many books, so little time. :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you, I added the book to my TBR list. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 23:50 I have read " Zeva-Book 1 by Tesha Finley. It has a very light science fiction element and some fantasy elements. Although the plot was a bit predictable, I enjoyed it. The story moved at a reasonable pace,and I never got bored at any point of time. It wasn't well edited, though. I noticed quite a few grammatical errors. I would recommend this read to YA.

Okay, so I have officially finished this one, and I'm afraid it was a bit disappointing. You're right, it had very light science fiction (an alien race called Zevian here to protect Earth). However, I don't think the author fully explored how were the Zevians protecting Earth, except in time of war. For instance, why were Tristan and his dad stationed on Earth for a year?

The young love would probably appeal to YA, but as I have said before the back-and-forth of wanting to be together and couldn't be together, just to end up together was too annoying for me :lol: . However, with the editing issues, I'm not sure if this would be the best example of good literature for younger people to be exposed to.

The plot was easy to follow, but more-or-less predictable. I think the book could have been 100-150 pages shorter and the story would still be the same. I also thought its message to young girls about relationships left a stale taste in my mouth.

With that being, I gave the book a 1 out of 4 stars. Oh well, here's hoping my next read will be better!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 08:00

Okay, so I have officially finished this one, and I'm afraid it was a bit disappointing. You're right, it had very light science fiction (an alien race called Zevian here to protect Earth). However, I don't think the author fully explored how were the Zevians protecting Earth, except in time of war. For instance, why were Tristan and his dad stationed on Earth for a year?

The young love would probably appeal to YA, but as I have said before the back-and-forth of wanting to be together and couldn't be together, just to end up together was too annoying for me :lol: . However, with the editing issues, I'm not sure if this would be the best example of good literature for younger people to be exposed to.

The plot was easy to follow, but more-or-less predictable. I think the book could have been 100-150 pages shorter and the story would still be the same. I also thought its message to young girls about relationships left a stale taste in my mouth.

With that being, I gave the book a 1 out of 4 stars. Oh well, here's hoping my next read will be better!
I gave it 2 out of 4 stars as I enjoyed parts of it. I agree about sending the wrong message.

lol The back-and-forth of wanting to be together irritated me as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I was introduced to the steampunk genre by The Engine Woman's LIght by Lauryn Hill. All the technical details were amazing; I gave it 3 out of 4 stars because the heroine was almost constantly in physical discomfort, somehow. Despite that, I did enjoy it a lot and it stayed in my mind.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nidhi1603
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi1603.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Nidhi1603 »

This is great. Want to read this now!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:37 Welcome to our July Genre Discussion! :D As there was a tie between two genres, I decided to focus on Steampunk/Science Fiction for this month, and the other genre next month.
I read two this month!

My first was a reread of the first Lazarus graphic novel.
I actually loved it even more, because I got even more out of it. Not only is it an apt read for this point in time, I know things I didn't before.
It's a dystopian future world, and the main character is a genetical engineered human.
(Not to sound like a broken record, but...) YES!!!

Second book: Unwind by Neal Shusterman
I enjoyed it, and love the premise, but was not fully impressed by the execution.
Again, a dystopian future world. After a second civil war, fought between pro-choicers and pro-lifers, peace is achieved by making all abortion illegal, but allowing parents to have their children unwound any time between their 13th and 18th birthday. The unwinding process (basically a human chop shop, but the person is alive and conscious the entire time) is actually shown in the book, from the POV of an unwind, and is rather disturbing. It was actually the part of the book that impressed me most, writing-wise.

Not great character developement, but would recommend on the premise alone.

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 06:41
I read two this month!

I actually loved it even more, because I got even more out of it. Not only is it an apt read for this point in time, I know things I didn't before.
It's a dystopian future world, and the main character is a genetical engineered human.

I enjoyed it, and love the premise, but was not fully impressed by the execution.
Again, a dystopian future world. After a second civil war, fought between pro-choicers and pro-lifers, peace is achieved by making all abortion illegal, but allowing parents to have their children unwound any time between their 13th and 18th birthday. The unwinding process (basically a human chop shop, but the person is alive and conscious the entire time) is actually shown in the book, from the POV of an unwind, and is rather disturbing. It was actually the part of the book that impressed me most, writing-wise.

"Unwind" is on my reading list. I understand it is part of a series. Does it stand on its own?
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 06:44
I read two this month!

"Unwind" is on my reading list. I understand it is part of a series. Does it stand on its own?
It has a complete story. If I had decided not to continue the series, I would have been okay with the way the book ended.

However, from what I've been able to find, there are only 4 books (and a short story collection), and they're all released. :tiphat:

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 06:55
gali wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 06:44

I read two this month!

It has a complete story. If I had decided not to continue the series, I would have been okay with the way the book ended.

However, from what I've been able to find, there are only 4 books (and a short story collection), and they're all released. :tiphat:
Thank you. I don't know if I want to read the whole series, but I may read this one. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “July 2018 Genre Discussion”