October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 00:34
hsimone wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 14:47
gali wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:59

Lol, indeed!

I spoke too soon! Tobi is in danger too.

I wonder who the murderer is. Whom do you suspect?
Okay, so I'm halfway through and I suspect so many people! Toby and Quentin just survived an attack (presumably an attack) while they were returning to ALH and Toby is going through Barbara's desk.

So glad we got to hear from Tybalt again, but it's sad that he didn't know that one of his own was killed.

I find it so strange how the people have died and am really curious as to why Toby can't read their blood. What's going on there?

I feel like ALH is a strange place in general. Maybe it's the people, but it just seemed so abandoned (because so many have left) and creepy. I would not want to stay there for any length of time for sure!
I love your insights!

lol I would not want to stay there for any length of time as well! :)
Thank you! :)

I just read the part about Toby summoning the night-haunts. So creepy. I know she was scared, but I would've been terrified. I did feel bad about them taking the mandrake, but I'm glad Toby is still alive.

Gosh, I hope she's done with Alex. Can't believe he used glamour on her. I knew something like happened to Quentin with Terrie, but it was hard to tell with Toby since she seemed sane most of the time. Dumb Alex.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 15:09
hsimone wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 14:47

Okay, so I'm halfway through and I suspect so many people! Toby and Quentin just survived an attack (presumably an attack) while they were returning to ALH and Toby is going through Barbara's desk.

So glad we got to hear from Tybalt again, but it's sad that he didn't know that one of his own was killed.

I find it so strange how the people have died and am really curious as to why Toby can't read their blood. What's going on there?

I feel like ALH is a strange place in general. Maybe it's the people, but it just seemed so abandoned (because so many have left) and creepy. I would not want to stay there for any length of time for sure!
I love your insights!

I just read the part about Toby summoning the night-haunts. So creepy. I know she was scared, but I would've been terrified. I did feel bad about them taking the mandrake, but I'm glad Toby is still alive.

Gosh, I hope she's done with Alex. Can't believe he used glamour on her. I knew something like happened to Quentin with Terrie, but it was hard to tell with Toby since she seemed sane most of the time. Dumb Alex.
The night-haunts were chilly but cool! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 00:11

I love your insights!

I agree! I think it was a very creative set of characters the author decided to write. I wonder if we'll get to see them again?

Okay, so Alex and Terrie share the same body? Did not see that one coming!

Yay for Tybalt being back :dance:

And poor April... :( I hope she can find peace even after her mother, Jan, was killed.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 10:23
gali wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 00:11

I agree! I think it was a very creative set of characters the author decided to write. I wonder if we'll get to see them again?

Okay, so Alex and Terrie share the same body? Did not see that one coming!

Yay for Tybalt being back :dance:

And poor April... :( I hope she can find peace even after her mother, Jan, was killed.
Yes, they will appear in the next book if I recall right.

Yes, Alex and Terrie share the same body, and it is weird!!

I also felt for April.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 08:07
Gravy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 05:47 I got quite a bit read. Tybalt's there, and Quentin's shot, and everything is happening all at once.

I am intrigued by the build up of passive clues, all while making others seem suspicious.
I think I missed everything on the first read.

What did you think of the Night Haunts?
The scene you reached sure is intense! All hell broke loose at that point.

I suspected the wrong person. They all acted oddly. If they wouldn't have hidden the truth from Tobi, she would have stumbled to the murderer faster and some deaths would have been avoided. Also, Tybalt acted oddly after witnessing Tobi's blood-drinking. I hope he will come around.

The concept of the Night Haunts is really original. I liked that they wear the faces of the deads and retain their memories for a time. I hope the third book focuses more on them.
Just finished, and I really enjoyed it!

I totally thought Elliot was involved in the murder, more so than trying to keep the Fae immortal. He just seemed too compliant and always willing to help, which made me very suspicious! I thought April was involved somehow when she leaned on Toby and mentioned something about not realizing that Jan wasn't coming back online. With that comment, I also thought she was too innocent to know what she was doing.

Boy, Gordan! I was uncertain about her because she always seemed too mean and wanted to "work". Like there were murders happening, but she had "work" to do. Seriously? So, I thought of her being the murderer at some point, too, but I thought that was too obvious and I switched back to Elliot. Also, I guess our childhoods are really the foundation of who we become - she clearly has some upbringing issues when she questioned why her "Daddy" left. Not that it excuses her murders, but that something from the way she grew up contributed to her hatred of purebloods. It also doesn't excuse her abusing April's innocence. That was so sad... :(

Yes, Tybalt did act weird when Toby drank Alex/Terrie's blood. I wonder why. I would think he knows that Toby does things with blood... :eusa-think:

Also, what's up with Toby's mother? I wonder if Toby actually saw her really saw her mom at Jan's funeral. She must have, right?

I'm really enjoying this series, and look forward to reading the next one!

By the way, since I finished this one, I can pause and we can read the next Wayward Children book!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:08
Gravy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 05:47 I got quite a bit read. Tybalt's there, and Quentin's shot, and everything is happening all at once.

I am intrigued by the build up of passive clues, all while making others seem suspicious.
I think I missed everything on the first read.

What did you think of the Night Haunts?

I suspected the wrong person. They all acted oddly. If they wouldn't have hidden the truth from Tobi, she would have stumbled to the murderer faster and some deaths would have been avoided. Also, Tybalt acted oddly after witnessing Tobi's blood-drinking. I hope he will come around.

The concept of the Night Haunts is really original. I liked that they wear the faces of the deads and retain their memories for a time. I hope the third book focuses more on them.

I totally thought Elliot was involved in the murder, more so than trying to keep the Fae immortal. He just seemed too compliant and always willing to help, which made me very suspicious! I thought April was involved somehow when she leaned on Toby and mentioned something about not realizing that Jan wasn't coming back online. With that comment, I also thought she was too innocent to know what she was doing.

Boy, Gordan! I was uncertain about her because she always seemed too mean and wanted to "work". Like there were murders happening, but she had "work" to do. Seriously? So, I thought of her being the murderer at some point, too, but I thought that was too obvious and I switched back to Elliot. Also, I guess our childhoods are really the foundation of who we become - she clearly has some upbringing issues when she questioned why her "Daddy" left. Not that it excuses her murders, but that something from the way she grew up contributed to her hatred of purebloods. It also doesn't excuse her abusing April's innocence. That was so sad... :(

Yes, Tybalt did act weird when Toby drank Alex/Terrie's blood. I wonder why. I would think he knows that Toby does things with blood... :eusa-think:

Also, what's up with Toby's mother? I wonder if Toby actually saw her really saw her mom at Jan's funeral. She must have, right?

By the way, since I finished this one, I can pause and we can read the next Wayward Children book!
Wow, you finished it fast! :)

I didn't suspect Gordan either and agree with you.

The next books explain about Tybalt and Toby's mother. I enjoy the series as well. Hopefully, @Gravy will be back by the time you catch up with us.

Great! I will start it tonight or tomorrow. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:27
hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:08

Wow, you finished it fast! :)

I didn't suspect Gordan either and agree with you.

The next books explain about Tybalt and Toby's mother. I enjoy the series as well. Hopefully, @Gravy will be back by the time you catch up with us.

Great! I will start it tonight or tomorrow. :)
Haha, yeah, it was a really good ending and I wanted to know how the author was going to tie everything together. :D

Oh, nice! Can't wait to read about Tybalt and Toby's mom! I agree - hope Gravy can join us when I catch up.

Awesome! I will also start either tonight or tomorrow, too. :tiphat:
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finally (like, literally, just not that long ago) finished Late Eclipses .

Hey, @hsimone!

I'm so glad you're back and are joining us! :happy-jumpyellow:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 02:19 I finally (like, literally, just not that long ago) finished Late Eclipses .

Hey, @hsimone!

I'm so glad you're back and are joining us! :happy-jumpyellow:
Thank you, I'm happy to be back, too! :)

I'm glad that I'm catching up! Just waiting for An Artificial Night to come through from my library. Says it should be ready within 2 weeks. Fingers crossed that it'll actually be sooner!

I'm really enjoying the series so far and truly am excited to continue :D
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I finally got An Artificial Night and read about four chapters. It’s pretty good so far! I like the case of Toby trying to find missing kids and awakening one that was left more or less comatose. It makes me curious of who did it and why? Tybalt just entered the scene (yay! :D)! I hope we get to see more of him :D
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 19:10 I finally got An Artificial Night and read about four chapters. It’s pretty good so far! I like the case of Toby trying to find missing kids and awakening one that was left more or less comatose. It makes me curious of who did it and why? Tybalt just entered the scene (yay! :D)! I hope we get to see more of him :D
Enjoy! I loved the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 19:10 I finally got An Artificial Night and read about four chapters. It’s pretty good so far! I like the case of Toby trying to find missing kids and awakening one that was left more or less comatose. It makes me curious of who did it and why? Tybalt just entered the scene (yay! :D)! I hope we get to see more of him :D

I love how universally loved Tybalt seems to be. (I know a few other readers, offline, who feel the same way.) :D

Enjoy!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 22:35
Enjoy! I loved the book. :)
Thank you! So far, I'm loving it (about a 1/4 done). :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 23:04

I love how universally loved Tybalt seems to be. (I know a few other readers, offline, who feel the same way.) :D

Enjoy!
He's just so great and easy to love. I really need more scenes with him! I hope he continues to be a presence in the rest of the series! :D
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So I'm about 60% of the way done and I'm absolutely loving this book! Blind Michael is so creepy and completely a horrible "person". I hope Quentin's girlfriend is okay! Can't believe that Blind Michael actually turns kids into horses!

I loved the scene with Tybalt and how vulnerable he became thinking that Toby was going to die retrieving the children. I know I shouldn't be thinking of this, but I hope they end up together! I know Toby and Connor have a thing, but he's married and I like Tybalt so much more!

Can't wait to continue reading! I already have Late Eclipses lined up. :D
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”