Read-A-Long of "Before the Devil Breaks You" by Libba Bray

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Read-A-Long of "Before the Devil Breaks You" by Libba Bray

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 10:10 Nice. I reached page 102, chapter "A crazy dream".

What do you think of it so far? I liked it much better than the second book.

I dislike Bill immensely and hope he will get his just deserves.

I like that each of the diviners is from a different ethnic background, and that the author touches themes of Racism, homophobia, and antisemitism.
I just finished the chapter, "The Hotsy Totsy" and I'm liking it a lot better than the second book. You're right, gali, it's reading a lot quicker.

The diversity is great here, and I'm glad the author tried to make everyone so different. I'm finding that each of the Diviners is being developed fairly well so far. Maybe we could do a little more of Isaiah, but hopefully his time to shine will come.

Here are some of my thoughts while I read:

- Even though I think it's crazy, I definitely want to see Evie at that asylum where all the murders are happening. I don't want anything bad to happen to her, I just want to see what's happening through her eyes.

- Wasn't Rotke Will's love that died? She was engaged to Jake - did I read that right?

- Also, Mabel's character is surprising me with her involvement with the Secret Six.

- I definitely want to know what went down with Guillaume Johnson more.

- Lastly, finally someone figured out that Ling likes girls!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 14:06
gali wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 10:10 Nice. I reached page 102, chapter "A crazy dream".

What do you think of it so far? I liked it much better than the second book.

I dislike Bill immensely and hope he will get his just deserves.

I like that each of the diviners is from a different ethnic background, and that the author touches themes of Racism, homophobia, and antisemitism.
I just finished the chapter, "The Hotsy Totsy" and I'm liking it a lot better than the second book. You're right, gali, it's reading a lot quicker.

The diversity is great here, and I'm glad the author tried to make everyone so different. I'm finding that each of the Diviners is being developed fairly well so far. Maybe we could do a little more of Isaiah, but hopefully his time to shine will come.

Here are some of my thoughts while I read:

- Even though I think it's crazy, I definitely want to see Evie at that asylum where all the murders are happening. I don't want anything bad to happen to her, I just want to see what's happening through her eyes.

- Wasn't Rotke Will's love that died? She was engaged to Jake - did I read that right?

- Also, Mabel's character is surprising me with her involvement with the Secret Six.

- I definitely want to know what went down with Guillaume Johnson more.

- Lastly, finally someone figured out that Ling likes girls!
I am glad you also like it. :)

* I also want to see Evie at that asylum. I wonder what will happen when she is there.

* As far as I understand, Rotke was engaged to Jake first. They didn't say yet how she ended with Will.

* I am surprised at Mabel, too. I want to shake her and warn her away from those guys!!

* I am also curious about Guillaume Johnson.

* Lol, indeed!

I haven't read much today, but I will read some more tomorrow.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I am A-Okay with spoilers. Even though I didn't read the other two, I am following it well. I just have questions that I would know if I had read them. 😊😊 I will see if I can find the other two so I can read them later. I am really enjoying this one!
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

hsimone wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 13:56
KDJ wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 09:43 I am just passed the part where Bill causes Isayah's seizures to cure his eye sight. 😰😰
That was ridiculous to learn. Bill's such a terrible character. Poor Isaiah :(
He really is the worst so far for me. Of course, I haven't gotten too far in reading. It feels like it is going to get so much worse. 😰😰
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
gali

Post by gali »

I found out more details about Guillaume Johnson, but I will wait for you to reach that part.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:00 I found out more details about Guillaume Johnson, but I will wait for you to reach that part.
***SPOILER for whoever hasn't read "The Cotton Club"***
Okay, so I didn't make it very far, but I did read the part about Bill being Guillaume! Wait, what?! Don't know if I just wasn't thinking ahead, but man that threw me for a loop. So much so that I almost said "Wait, what?!" aloud on the airplane. :lol: Did you see that coming?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 15:58
gali wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:00 I found out more details about Guillaume Johnson, but I will wait for you to reach that part.
Okay, so I didn't make it very far, but I did read the part about Bill being Guillaume! Wait, what?! Don't know if I just wasn't thinking ahead, but man that threw me for a loop. So much so that I almost said "Wait, what?!" aloud on the airplane. :lol: Did you see that coming?
No, I didn't see it coming. Later on, there is more background about him. The more I know about this guy, the less I like him.

Editing: He pleasantly surprised me, so I am on the fence about him.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Guys, where are you in the book? I have read about 60% of the book and passed the second part of the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I want to shake Mabel. Some of her choices are so dumb!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 22:52
hsimone wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 15:58
No, I didn't see it coming. Later on, there is more background about him. The more I know about this guy, the less I like him.

Editing: He pleasantly surprised me, so I am on the fence about him.
Haha, really? I'm not sure yet about Bill/Guillaume. I'll keep reading and let you know! I'm glad that he pleasantly surprised you so maybe he'll be okay :eusa-think:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 22:53 Guys, where are you in the book? I have read about 60% of the book and passed the second part of the book.
Wow, nice! I'm reaching the almost halfway point. I read about Evie's first encounter at the asylum, Roy is back in Theta's life (oh geez), and now I'm reading about Jericho arriving at the Marlow house.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 04:10 I want to shake Mabel. Some of her choices are so dumb!
Haha, I haven't gotten as far as you, but if she stay with that group, then I can just imagine her choices!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

I just finished it and I loved it. It was much better than the other twos and left me hanging! I will wait for you to finish it before commenting further.

I just discovered there is a fourth book (and last) coming (on Feb) and plan to read it. We can read it together if you like. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 10:33 I just finished it and I loved it. It was much better than the other twos and left me hanging! I will wait for you to finish it before commenting further.

I just discovered there is a fourth book (and last) coming (on Feb) and plan to read it. We can read it together if you like. :)
You loved it? That's awesome! It's also great that you found it to be better than the other two. I'll work on finishing it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Reading the last one together sounds good to me!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 11:46
gali wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 10:33 I just finished it and I loved it. It was much better than the other twos and left me hanging! I will wait for you to finish it before commenting further.

You loved it? That's awesome! It's also great that you found it to be better than the other two. I'll work on finishing it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Reading the last one together sounds good to me!
Great! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”