October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 23:19
Gravy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 21:32 Finished!

I love this series so much!

I'm going to go ahead and jump on to A Local Habitation (as I will no doubt fall behind).
Great! I will also start it today. :)

Have you suspected Devin? Toward the end, I started to suspect him. A pity that the one who tried to kill her was the one she fully trusted. His actions didn't make sense. He tried to have her killed her several times, and in the next breath saved her (because he needed her). He should not have tried that hard to have her killed before he got what he wanted. It would have saved him time and efforts... I guess he never really overcome the fact she left him and probably loved her in his way. Well, the sane part of his loved her, anyway.

I also started to love Tybalt and his character as the Kings of Cats, though I am more of a dog person.
Devin's actions completely made no sense. I'm going out on the limb here and saying that he was an unstable person and did not really understand the meaning of love. I'm glad that Toby learned the truth, though, and that Devin is gone. Though I think it was unfair that Dare had to die while her brother gets to live. Poor Dare...

I'm also more of a dog person, but I really like Tybalt and hope to see more of him in later books! Are the books a continuation of this story line (i.e. the hope chest) or does Toby solve more mysteries?

I believe the second one came in from the library, so I'll keep you posted on my progress! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 15:07
Gravy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 21:32 Finished!

I love this series so much!

I'm going to go ahead and jump on to A Local Habitation (as I will no doubt fall behind).

Have you suspected Devin? Toward the end, I started to suspect him. A pity that the one who tried to kill her was the one she fully trusted. His actions didn't make sense. He tried to have her killed her several times, and in the next breath saved her (because he needed her). He should not have tried that hard to have her killed before he got what he wanted. It would have saved him time and efforts... I guess he never really overcome the fact she left him and probably loved her in his way. Well, the sane part of his loved her, anyway.

I also started to love Tybalt and his character as the Kings of Cats, though I am more of a dog person.
Devin's actions completely made no sense. I'm going out on the limb here and saying that he was an unstable person and did not really understand the meaning of love. I'm glad that Toby learned the truth, though, and that Devin is gone. Though I think it was unfair that Dare had to die while her brother gets to live. Poor Dare...

I'm also more of a dog person, but I really like Tybalt and hope to see more of him in later books! Are the books a continuation of this story line (i.e. the hope chest) or does Toby solve more mysteries?

I believe the second one came in from the library, so I'll keep you posted on my progress! :techie-studyingbrown:
I agree that with your assessment of Devin.

Each book stands on its own, but it also continues the line of the former books and ties loose ends. Also, each book in the series reveals new info about the characters.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 00:05

Each book stands on its own, but it also continues the line of the former books and ties loose ends. Also, each book in the series reveals new info about the characters.
At least he's out the picture for the rest of the series (or I imagine he will be).

Oh nice! I got book 2 ready. :)

By the way I gave the first book a 4/4 stars! It was one that I always enjoyed coming back to read and really liked Toby's character.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 09:33

At least he's out the picture for the rest of the series (or I imagine he will be).

By the way I gave the first book a 4/4 stars! It was one that I always enjoyed coming back to read and really liked Toby's character.
The first book was great!!

Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 09:35
hsimone wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 09:33

The first book was great!!

Enjoy! :)
Thank you! :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I began book 2, and I love that Tybalt is back! I can't wait to see how their "friendship" develops in this next book and what kinds of adventures Toby will be encountering!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:24 I began book 2, and I love that Tybalt is back! I can't wait to see how their "friendship" develops in this next book and what kinds of adventures Toby will be encountering!
Great! Book two is even better than the first one. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:41
hsimone wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:24 I began book 2, and I love that Tybalt is back! I can't wait to see how their "friendship" develops in this next book and what kinds of adventures Toby will be encountering!
Great! Book two is even better than the first one. Enjoy! :)
That's great to hear! I'm about 1/5 of the way done and am loving it so far. :D
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 23:21 A Local Habitation: (October Daye #2)

I have read a couples of chapters, and so far so good! I like that she still has Spike, the rose goblin.

I was surprised by the friendship between Tobi and the Luidaeg, but I sure liked that! I also like the the dynamic between Tobi and Tybalt.

Btw, @Gravy have you read Middlegame? It is also on my reading list.
I was also surprised by the friendship between Toby and the Luidaeg. I am curious if/when Toby asks her question, if the Luidaeg will actually kill her or since Toby's her only friend perhaps she'll make an exception?

Oh, Tybalt...I would like more scenes with you. 8)

I might want to jump on Middlegame as well when you read it!

Also, I have Across the Green Grass Fields on my kindle from my library, so we can jump to that one, too. :tiphat:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 14:46

I have read a couples of chapters, and so far so good! I like that she still has Spike, the rose goblin.

I was surprised by the friendship between Tobi and the Luidaeg, but I sure liked that! I also like the the dynamic between Tobi and Tybalt.

I was also surprised by the friendship between Toby and the Luidaeg. I am curious if/when Toby asks her question, if the Luidaeg will actually kill her or since Toby's her only friend perhaps she'll make an exception?

Also, I have Across the Green Grass Fields on my kindle from my library, so we can jump to that one, too. :tiphat:
I love the Luidaeg. She is a great character!

Great! I am ready to start both books whenever you are. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 15:12

Can't wait to read more scenes with her!

Awesome! How about we start with Across the Green Grass Fields? Would you mind if we start either this weekend or the beginning of next week? I would like to finish up at least one of the books I'm reading before starting a new one.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 09:47

Awesome! How about we start with Across the Green Grass Fields? Would you mind if we start either this weekend or the beginning of next week? I would like to finish up at least one of the books I'm reading before starting a new one.
It is fine by me. Tell me when you are ready to start it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 10:36
hsimone wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 09:47

It is fine by me. Tell me when you are ready to start it. :)
Will do and thanks for willing to wait! :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:59
Gravy wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 03:07 I am in the middle of chapter 11 (hey, look, I'm (mostly) keeping up!).

April just beckoned us for January.
I can't get over her turning to Tybalt. Again.

I mean, I get it, but it's still entertaining. :lol:
Lol, indeed!

I spoke too soon! Tobi is in danger too.

I wonder who the murderer is. Whom do you suspect?
Okay, so I'm halfway through and I suspect so many people! Toby and Quentin just survived an attack (presumably an attack) while they were returning to ALH and Toby is going through Barbara's desk.

So glad we got to hear from Tybalt again, but it's sad that he didn't know that one of his own was killed.

I find it so strange how the people have died and am really curious as to why Toby can't read their blood. What's going on there?

I feel like ALH is a strange place in general. Maybe it's the people, but it just seemed so abandoned (because so many have left) and creepy. I would not want to stay there for any length of time for sure!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 14:47
gali wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:59
Gravy wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 03:07 I am in the middle of chapter 11 (hey, look, I'm (mostly) keeping up!).

April just beckoned us for January.
I can't get over her turning to Tybalt. Again.

I mean, I get it, but it's still entertaining. :lol:
Lol, indeed!

I spoke too soon! Tobi is in danger too.

I wonder who the murderer is. Whom do you suspect?
Okay, so I'm halfway through and I suspect so many people! Toby and Quentin just survived an attack (presumably an attack) while they were returning to ALH and Toby is going through Barbara's desk.

So glad we got to hear from Tybalt again, but it's sad that he didn't know that one of his own was killed.

I find it so strange how the people have died and am really curious as to why Toby can't read their blood. What's going on there?

I feel like ALH is a strange place in general. Maybe it's the people, but it just seemed so abandoned (because so many have left) and creepy. I would not want to stay there for any length of time for sure!
I love your insights!

lol I would not want to stay there for any length of time as well! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”