Read-A-Long of Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Read-A-Long of Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

Post by Gravy »

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

I love the genuine scare the scarecrows offer (they even gave me the creeps, which is saying something). Everything was so easy to visualize, the scarecrows that painted the messages on the trees, leaning there, lifeless. Absolutely perfect.

I also love the way the title was so relevant, and I did not expect (nor suspect) who the Smiling Man was. I feel like I should have, but I didn't.

Also, I completely second what Gali said. I cannot recommend her other books enough!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 10:55 Ditto!

I loved it too and rated it 4 out of 4 stars as well. It was a page turner, and I flew through it. It had just the right amount of suspense to keep you wanting more. The author certainly knows how to grab the reader’s attention from the get go. I loved the atmospheric setting and the main characters. All in all, a great story!

Those scarecrows gave me the chills! I admired the courage of Ollie, and the way she stood up to the smiling man.

Ollie did good, but she threw the rock on the wrong guy...

I certainly recommend reading her other books. :)
I also commend Ollie for her bravery. The watch idea with my mom's spirit guiding was super sweet and I really liked it, too.

Yeah, I think I meant the whole situation was well done. I laughed when Brian was trying to cover for Ollie and how awkward it was for her. It was something that I could picture very easily.

Nice! I added The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower to my TBR list!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 21:22 I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

I love the genuine scare the scarecrows offer (they even gave me the creeps, which is saying something). Everything was so easy to visualize, the scarecrows that painted the messages on the trees, leaning there, lifeless. Absolutely perfect.

I also love the way the title was so relevant, and I did not expect (nor suspect) who the Smiling Man was. I feel like I should have, but I didn't.

Also, I completely second what Gali said. I cannot recommend her other books enough!
Scarecrows are so creepy! I also liked how the title was woven in throughout the text, and I don't think I knew who the Smiling Man was either. :eusa-think:

Can't wait to read her other books! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I remember reading this book. Even though this book was suppose to be more for kids, I thought it had a good story. If the story wasn't good, it would not have held my attention long enough for me to finish the book.

Aren't there more books after this? Like, isn't this the beginning of a series?
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

JennyorAlice wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 10:37 I remember reading this book. Even though this book was suppose to be more for kids, I thought it had a good story. If the story wasn't good, it would not have held my attention long enough for me to finish the book.

It is a series.

There's Small Spaces, Dead Voices, Dark Waters, and at least one that hasn't yet been titled.

Have you read her Winternight Trilogy?

JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

Gravy wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 21:07
JennyorAlice wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 10:37 I remember reading this book. Even though this book was suppose to be more for kids, I thought it had a good story. If the story wasn't good, it would not have held my attention long enough for me to finish the book.

It is a series.

There's Small Spaces, Dead Voices, Dark Waters, and at least one that hasn't yet been titled.

I have the books in my personal library at home. Haven't gotten around to reading them yet (so much to read, so little time to do it).
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

JennyorAlice wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 13:47
Gravy wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 21:07

It is a series.

I have the books in my personal library at home. Haven't gotten around to reading them yet (so much to read, so little time to do it).
Sooooo true. Painfully true!

Return to “Read-a-long forum”