Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
genius1
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by genius1 »

it may be true that America may lose its world power owing to its present pattern of governance but if they can foresee these issues and make plans solve them, then they still remain the world's most powerful country.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Britty01 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 22:39 a possible scenario that shows man as merely existing instead of living.
This is so true! That is also something that struck me in the book. As 'great' as the new world is with its no-crime-no-pollution-no-anything-bad climate, are the people really thriving, or are they just being?
I know this sounds weird, but I wonder if people need a bit of drama in order to thrive? There would be nothing to make an individual excel otherwise.
Maybe I'm reading too far into it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

melissy370 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 17:17 While I don't believe the USA will fall like it does in the book, I do see consumerism overtaking our society. Everywhere you go on the internet and other places you find ads from businesses wanting to buy their products.
I also think it would take a lot for the government to mess up that badly. But consumerism is definitely something that is growing rapidly. Big corporations having control over a lot of the country is not an unbelievable future.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Intolerance prevailing in most of the countries now a days is definitely calling for a rule different from the ones existing today; one that does not discriminate. And I personally have this view that corporate world does not discriminate between its consumers. It is concerned only about flourishing wide.
Nana Amma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nana Amma »

I don't think this can predict the future.we don't know what the future hold and we must always be positive minded and we shouldn't focus on what the book is saying.We are in a new century
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The future of America as a super power is uncertain as we have already started to witness.To say the least, this book is fore seeing some realities in the days and years to come.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I think it's possible that the book is predicting the future, but it's not likely. We don't know what the future holds. America does have enemies, but I don't think it gets as bad as the book. I hope not.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think it is too soon to tell whether the world which is shown in the book is possible or not. But, America loosing its ability to rule the world, either directly or indirectly, is the wish of many outsiders
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I really hope it doesn't predict the future. The US certainly can't stay on top forever, it has to mess things up at some point. But I don't think the other things that happen after US falls are accurately depicted. We have a way to imagine things will be worse or better, depending on the person. But things don't change that drastically in such a short time. Think about how long it took humans to do anything else.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I could absolutely see oligarchy based governments becoming more prevalent in the future.

It does seem like a major shift would have to occur socially and politically for the future Gariffo writes about to come true, but those can happen very rapidly. Consider the Internet - in the 1990s, it was mainly used by academics and several books or articles published then did not predict the rapid growth of the Internet or how it is used for entertainment today.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Catevanne22
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catevanne22.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Catevanne22 »

According to what the Bible says, as it has been interpreted by those who know Biblical prophecy, all the western nations
will be brought down because they have turned away from God. Maybe the current state of affairs in America, as well as other nations, can be traced back to this turning away from God?
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I think it could be the future if the us continues to have the same traits as the world in this book.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

JuliaKay wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:23 This is a definite possibility. The political climate in the U.S. right now is really damaging the relationships with other countries, and there does not seem to be an emphasis on advances. I would not be surprised if the U.S. was not a world leader in 10 years, let alone 40.
I completely agree. Politics depends on relationships with other countries, their citizens relationships with one another and their trade. USA has already damaged some of their economical developments by their steel tax on imports/exports, causing companies like Harley Davidson to move their main manufacturing to Europe.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

DATo wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 06:05 I have not read the book, but the premise of a world ruled by a dystopian oligarchy has been done before in the book Cloud Atlas (2004) by David Mitchell, and the movie Network (1976) to name just two.

From the movie Network ...

Arthur Jensen: "You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case! The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state, Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale, to preach this evangel."

Howard Beale: "Why me?"

Arthur Jensen: "Because you're on television, dummy. Sixty million people watch you every night of the week, Monday through Friday."

Howard Beale: "I have seen the face of God."

Arthur Jensen: "You just might be right, Mr. Beale."
I haven't watched either of them, but thank you for sharing this conversation! It's extremely impactful, and something everybody needs to read.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

dbulkley wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:05 I don’t believe the United States will ever lose power. It’s the most powerful country and I think will stay that way.
I do not think it predicts the future and I certainly hope not.
I do believe that power doesn't stay constantly within grasp, but let's hope not!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”