Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Re: Technological advancements

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

With the world moving so fast, I won't be surprised to see technologies in this book coming to life. I mean we already have talking robots, for instance.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

tarafarah7 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 17:50
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
I couldn't agree with you more, Eryn! It's a constant debate in my mind on if developers are doing more good or more harm, when looking at the overall, big picture. I don't know! :-) It's interesting, but the unknown is always a bit scary to me.
Let's just hope we don't get to crazy AI like Terminator! :lol2:
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

From what we have actually seen, we cannot predict the speed of technical advancements. 40 years is relatively a very long time for technical world. Even the onboard computer can be a reality
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

When you consider how much technology has advanced in the past 40 years, some of the technological advancements mentioned seem possible in the not-so-distant future.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I believe that it's not necessarily the technological limitations, but also the Data Protection, moral beliefs and personal requirements that limit our potential for future technologies. If people don't believe we require the advancement, and that no-one would buy it, then it won't get developed.
Also people's fear about their job security and the loss of human interaction is what has prevented current AI technology being more wide-spread.
So I do think most of the technology is actually achievable in that time-span, but it depends on if society actually deems it necessary.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 01:35
melissy370 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 18:56 I think not having sales clerks for department stores could be in our future. We already have restaurants that have machines that take your order. At our grocery stores we can check ourselves out. It doesn't seem far fetched that soon sales people will be obsolete also.
Absolutely. It's actually quite interesting that so much of the technology we see is actually aimed at replacing people. Life would suck if I lost my job and replaced by a computer.
That message was something I picked up on in the book. The way of life presented in the book seemed like a recipe for eventual disaster.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
I certainly agree, some of it is already here like self-automated cars. Last month BBC tech news featured small planes that were self-automated and soon to be available to persons not in possession of a pilot's license. One current example is Vahana being developed by Airbus.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Conversations with a Sage by Rand Law

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The onboard computer technology, Franklin, and others are possible. Given the advancements in the robotic technology, some things in this book are possible.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bookmermaid wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 10:51
I certainly agree, some of it is already here like self-automated cars. Last month BBC tech news featured small planes that were self-automated and soon to be available to persons not in possession of a pilot's license. One current example is Vahana being developed by Airbus.
I forgot about the self-driving cars! That's a good point!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

ArriettyClock wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:37 I believe that it's not necessarily the technological limitations, but also the Data Protection, moral beliefs and personal requirements that limit our potential for future technologies. If people don't believe we require the advancement, and that no-one would buy it, then it won't get developed.
Also people's fear about their job security and the loss of human interaction is what has prevented current AI technology being more wide-spread.
So I do think most of the technology is actually achievable in that time-span, but it depends on if society actually deems it necessary.
This is one of my big concerns. I understand the need to develop current technology, but so much of it is purely aimed at replacing people. Like you say, human interaction is becoming less and less with things as simple as tablets. I've seen children sitting on couches next to each other messaging one another on their cell phones. And that's not even starting on job replacement. I hope you're right - that it's based on society's needs.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

We already live in a world of driverless cars and talking robots, so technology like Franklin is just around the corner. With the developments in AI, it is only a matter of time before Siri and Alexa will be having a full conversation with their owners.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The medical computer system is definitely possible, in my opinion. The lasers, blood collection, accurate monitoring, and diagnosis seem very possible. It is frightening to trust robots and artificial intelligence for these things, but 40 years from now I think it will be a normal part of life.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Like what many of us mentioned, 40 years is a terribly long time in terms of technological advancement. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see tech like Franklin in 40 years. However, like what Bianka brought up, I do think that human interaction is also important and shouldn't be sacrificed (perhaps collateral damage?) for advancements in tech.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 20:06 The medical computer system is definitely possible, in my opinion. The lasers, blood collection, accurate monitoring, and diagnosis seem very possible. It is frightening to trust robots and artificial intelligence for these things, but 40 years from now I think it will be a normal part of life.
The medical computer system is actually one that I'm not too opposed to. In a world with a shortage of doctors, that's not the worst thing. Although to trust a machine over a human is not something that I think would come easily to most people.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I think 40 years is just around the corner and considering where we are especially with the self driving car and all, I think it is very possible.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”