Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I definitely believe it is a very real possibility that the United States will fall from power sometime in the future. Every great empire throughout history has fallen. It is more far-fetched to believe that human-kind will fall and Earth will become a desolate planet. I think pieces of this book could predict the future but I certainly hope all of the book is not inevitable.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

dbulkley wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:05 I don’t believe the United States will ever lose power. It’s the most powerful country and I think will stay that way.
Countries and empires have gained and lost power throughout history. The Roman empire was brought down and the United States will likely lose power as well. The GDP of the country might be doing well currently, but it is a small portion of the rest of the world. Changing spending habits and world economies will force the US to adapt or falter. I don't think the country is going to crumble, but it won't have the same amount of power.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 11:18
Lil Reads wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:33 I could absolutely see oligarchy based governments becoming more prevalent in the future.

It does seem like a major shift would have to occur socially and politically for the future Gariffo writes about to come true, but those can happen very rapidly. Consider the Internet - in the 1990s, it was mainly used by academics and several books or articles published then did not predict the rapid growth of the Internet or how it is used for entertainment today.
I actually can’t picture any future without some form of presidency. I feel like something would have to go very wrong (as it did in the book) for an oligarchical government to come into play. But I also struggle to see a future that has space travel - so I’m obviously a bit narrow minded 😂
I could see an oligarchy government in other countries, especially in places where major political and social unrest has occurred.

Speaking of space travel, lots of books published in America during the 1950s predicted space travel and living on other planets becoming the norm and that hasn't happened yet, so who knows what will happen?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
K Geisinger

Post by K Geisinger »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:18
sharkyjen998 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:43 Imagine Elon Musk really solving the Flint water crisis (as he has pledged to do on Twitter). People would start to realize that we don't need these corrupt politicians anymore, but rich corporations will be there to fill the power vacuum!
I love this! It's actually quite terrible that I would sooner put my faith in Elon Musk than certain other world leaders. It's funny how people with nothing to prove are the ones that we find ourselves looking toward for answers. I would happily live in a world run by Elon Musk. There would be a lot more cars floating in space, but I could live with that :lol2:
Are you sure you'd put your faith in Elon Musk? Just to be clear, the same nut job who wanted to use submarines, that couldn't fit, to rescue the Thai soccer team, and when his idea was deemed unworkable, called the diver a pedophile? Elon Musk a great salesman and is marketing his company well, but mental stability isn't always required to run a business. In all fairness though I would trust him over some world leaders such as Rodrigo Duterte.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
K Geisinger

Post by K Geisinger »

Fuzaila wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:48
sanjus wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:55 Everything will depend on collective belief of the citizens because they are the one who will decide about the future. Present day governments and corporates only can try to shape their belief.
That's what is happening. But the people would refuse to be spoon-fed sooner or later. Just like Agent Silver, in this novel, even though I haven't read it.
I'm going to need to disagree with you. People always want to be spoon fed because critical thinking is harder. And let's face it, reading isn't a strong suit for most people. Short sound bites, catchy slogans, and emotional appeals shape the collective beliefs and will change the tide of a culture. Governments, corporations, NPOs, and any other group spends considerable amounts of money and time to push thought towards their cause. I haven't finished the book yet, but Agent Silver is not the average person in a country and his fictional responses shouldn't be relied upon to depict current people.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Lil Reads wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:47
Lil Reads wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:33 I could absolutely see oligarchy based governments becoming more prevalent in the future.

It does seem like a major shift would have to occur socially and politically for the future Gariffo writes about to come true, but those can happen very rapidly. Consider the Internet - in the 1990s, it was mainly used by academics and several books or articles published then did not predict the rapid growth of the Internet or how it is used for entertainment today.
I actually can’t picture any future without some form of presidency. I feel like something would have to go very wrong (as it did in the book) for an oligarchical government to come into play. But I also struggle to see a future that has space travel - so I’m obviously a bit narrow minded 😂
I could see an oligarchy government in other countries, especially in places where major political and social unrest has occurred.

Speaking of space travel, lots of books published in America during the 1950s predicted space travel and living on other planets becoming the norm and that hasn't happened yet, so who knows what will happen?
Well, one thing is for certain, we are definitely closer now than we were back then! I always wonder what I will see in my lifetime. They say the first person to live to be 200 years old has already been born - amazing!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

K Geisinger wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:49
sharkyjen998 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:43 Imagine Elon Musk really solving the Flint water crisis (as he has pledged to do on Twitter). People would start to realize that we don't need these corrupt politicians anymore, but rich corporations will be there to fill the power vacuum!
I love this! It's actually quite terrible that I would sooner put my faith in Elon Musk than certain other world leaders. It's funny how people with nothing to prove are the ones that we find ourselves looking toward for answers. I would happily live in a world run by Elon Musk. There would be a lot more cars floating in space, but I could live with that :lol2:
Are you sure you'd put your faith in Elon Musk? Just to be clear, the same nut job who wanted to use submarines, that couldn't fit, to rescue the Thai soccer team, and when his idea was deemed unworkable, called the diver a pedophile? Elon Musk a great salesman and is marketing his company well, but mental stability isn't always required to run a business. In all fairness though I would trust him over some world leaders such as Rodrigo Duterte.
So, that's exactly it. I would sooner put my faith in Elon Musk than in the ex-president of MY country (Jacob Zuma). He was about as fit to run South Africa as he was to perform open heart surgery on a duck. Musk at least has the brain power to LEARN how to run a country smoothly - even with his whackjob tendencies.
I never heard about the Thai boy submarine debacle. Sounds a little ridiculous, the divers couldn't even fit in there, never mind submarines.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

dbulkley wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:05 I don’t believe the United States will ever lose power. It’s the most powerful country and I think will stay that way.
Some Great Empires
Egyptian Empire
Ancient Chinese
Babylonian Empire
Greco-Roman Empire
Roman Empire
British Empire

Above is part of world history, at the height of each of these empires no one ever thought their time would come to an end.
There is nothing new under the sun
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:08
K Geisinger wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:49

So, that's exactly it. I would sooner put my faith in Elon Musk than in the ex-president of MY country (Jacob Zuma). He was about as fit to run South Africa as he was to perform open heart surgery on a duck. Musk at least has the brain power to LEARN how to run a country smoothly - even with his whackjob tendencies.
I never heard about the Thai boy submarine debacle. Sounds a little ridiculous, the divers couldn't even fit in there, never mind submarines.
Some presidents/leaders of countries are bad jokes, I am Nigerian and will leave it there. Apple just hit $1 trillion in market capitalization today, how many countries are worth a tenth or twentieth of that? Super corporations might actually be closer than we know.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:58
Lil Reads wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 14:47

Well, one thing is for certain, we are definitely closer now than we were back then! I always wonder what I will see in my lifetime. They say the first person to live to be 200 years old has already been born - amazing!
It really is amazing what has happened just within our parents' or grandparents' lifetimes. When my mom was in college, computers were huge things you used punch cards to operate for specific tasks; now her cellphone can access the Internet, upload files, keep her schedule up to date, order groceries, and more!

Commercial space exploration might be the future or maybe another country will create another major space program. Living to 200 - wow!
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

It certainly doesn't seem too out of reach! It's scary to think our world could devolve to the one in this book, but it's a possibility.
Rosehibbard
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosehibbard.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Rosehibbard »

I haven't read this book yet but I hope to read it soon. I hope the USA does lose a lot of its power because it's getting out of hand
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I don't think it predicts the future, but perhaps there might be certain elements that come true. Empires rise and fall, and America is no exception. I don't think it will happen in the near future, but with the way things are going, I can say that (as someone not American) America's influence, honour and reputation have definitely taken huge hits due to the current government – one would be hard-pressed to find another who looks kindly upon the current administration.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ea_anthony wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 17:00
Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:08
Some presidents/leaders of countries are bad jokes, I am Nigerian and will leave it there. Apple just hit $1 trillion in market capitalization today, how many countries are worth a tenth or twentieth of that? Super corporations might actually be closer than we know.
That's a really good point. In the book, the U.S. crashed because they basically ran out of money and people stopped paying tax. How easy would it be for a big corporation to swoop in and take over?
Don't get me started on African presidents... The fact that Bob Mugabe and Jacob Zuma are finally gone is a definite plus, but we still have a LONG way to go!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:12 I don't think it predicts the future, but perhaps there might be certain elements that come true. Empires rise and fall, and America is no exception. I don't think it will happen in the near future, but with the way things are going, I can say that (as someone not American) America's influence, honour and reputation have definitely taken huge hits due to the current government – one would be hard-pressed to find another who looks kindly upon the current administration.
I agree - America has taken a big knock when it comes to relationships with other countries. And it is much easier to comment as non-Americans. I think after so many years of creating partnerships and alliances with the world, America was looking like a true super-power. But that's being slowly broken down with the current government. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't live there or claim to know a lot about politics. But from what I've read in the news, it doesn't look positive.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”