Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Tinny peacey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by Tinny peacey »

Not atall... I have dont think it say what's going to happen in the near by future... The us can't loose power. It's not looking like its going to happen though.
Bushra_28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bushra_28 »

You can never know the future. It depends on what our leaders are doing. Are they lying around drinking? Or are they working all day to keep our country perfect? Let's say for example they cut ties with Saudi Arabia. That would be terrible as we get all our oil from them. From there, they price of gas will go up drastically. To the point citizens won't be able to afford it. And people will stop buying which will cause the gas stations to shut down and the people who work there will lose their jobs. There are many ways America can fall and as the example I gave you, this is all dependNguyen on what the government does and their allies.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

In international relations nothing remains the same. Similarly no state remains in power forever.Considering this point ,i believe that this book doesn't predict the future.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

It's definitely possible if most countries banded together. Most first world countries are egotistic and would never join ranks with other countries. :snooty:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

You bring up a really interesting point! Even though I haven't thoroughly read through the book myself, I am disappointed in the current state of world politics and I see the connections you've made. The inevitability of power shifts have changed us all in good and bad ways.
But after so many years of basing our top decision making on a Colonialist mentality, it shouldn't surprise anyone the fierce balance of power that is occurring in the new millennium. The States may always have wealth and policy for many years, but only time will tell if the future will be controlled by such things. Great insight!
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

It's possible that the United States could lose its government power. In fact, no state has ever or will ever last for all time. But I don't think it's incredibly likely that it'll turn the world into a hyper-capitalist society.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I personally feel that this book predicts the future world.
---
AdriLisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by AdriLisa »

The country of United States will never lose its power in the near future. I believe USA will use it differently this time swirling around his own nation to recapture its essence. Worlds are created in everyone's mind. It's the staying power that I cannot see. Any reversal or change to all kinds of modification will need some other country to sustain it, this difference. There is only a few other countries who can sustain according to Gariffo and all these other countries have suffered immensely thus will not last. The perfect balance has yet to be seen and lived for at least 300 years. My humble opinion.
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html

Post by Vitter Krane »

Yes, the book depicts the future. America just like the preceding Super powers could be dethroned. However, I do not foresee such possibility in the near future.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I have not read enough of the book to give a concrete opinion but the USA losing its power does not seem to be a possibility. However, it may have to share the power with other emerging economies.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Oh, I definitely think it's possible! Spain and France used to rule the world and look at them now.. not exactly the powerhouses they once were. Not to even get started on the UK! Anything is possible. It has always seemed to me that the most innovative countries seem to become the world powers, and it is entirely possible that the USA is back peddling rather than moving forward with the times.

I am very keen to read this book and hope to have a better voiced opinion once I have.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Many books have tried to predict the future before but with little or no success. A famous example is the 1987 by Mr. Owell.
This is no different. While America may be experiencing a little downturn, I don't believe it will teach the height seen in this book.
Pinknails10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Pinknails10 »

The book is OK, but fiction United States always been powerful not believe they will lose power. Action in future there will be, more and more troubles in world and struggles,action as violence and bad behaviour go worse. I would give the book 9 out of 10
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html

Post by Vitter Krane »

Yes, the book highly predicts the future. Corporations are becoming stronger and stronger everyday and some are taking over governments. The governments are no longer the strongest institutions in the society.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Even though in this book Tom Gariffo could be thought of as a utopian, i do believe nothing is impossible. But even this is to happen, then i know for sure it is not tomorrow nor any time soon. So for now United Nations will still remain the worlds super power

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”