Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think the book's theme points to a lot of things that are wrong with mindless consumerism, but I don't think it predicts the future.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

Yeah, multi billionaire corporation are getting stronger and gaining influence and control of the government. They are becoming a threat to our democratic institutions.
Raja Umair
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raja Umair »

No way!! I am not telling my opinion but no book in our existing world can tell us about future. Nobody is perfect and superior than our God and the books which we believe can tell us about future doesn't even exist and nobody knows future it will remain as it is written
Raja Umair
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raja Umair »

dbulkley wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:05 I don’t believe the United States will ever lose power. It’s the most powerful country and I think will stay that way.
Anything can happen
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I think the scenario is very plausible. While the United States is powerful, it is not impervious to the catastrophes that affect other countries, and I believe it could easily lose control, especially when money and power are involved.
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

USA losing its status as the world's super power would be difficult. At the moment, they are just untouchable. I do not see the possibility of them getting dethroned.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This is an interesting question, as you've assumed the United States "rules the world" within your question. I agree the United States has enormous influence on culture, economy and government, but it is inaccurate to say it "rules" other nations.

Nonetheless, regardless of the level of internal unrest, it is a fact that nations rise and fall. I do believe it's entirely possible that at some point, for one reason or another, the United States will fade into a lesser nation and power over the whole world could be held by a select few. But I believe that day is very, very far in the future. If we ever get there.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think we should all have a healthy fear of losing the security of power. After all, God is the Judge. He puts down one and exalts another. That's what so valuable about dystopian literature. It helps us to see the possibilities if we continue our current paths unchecked. They encourage critical thinking and self reflection.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I think it is possible for any government to collapse, given the right set of circumstances. Throughout history, prominent governments have fallen, and the US is just a susceptible to this as any other country. It all depends on the trust between the government and the citizens, as well as the relationships between governments.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Considering the rate at which China is breaking into every market, I only think its a matter of time before China takes over. So i think it partially may be predicting the future of governments of nations.
This is going to be a good book to read.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Wa_hu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wa-hu.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Wa_hu »

Hopefully not, with the help of books like this we can atleast see what is possible when we become passive. It acts as a cautionary tale.
Isaiah Lokeno
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Isaiah Lokeno »

As to me I think the book predicts the future this is from the fact that united states is receiving much competition from other developed state
Jennifer Kloss
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-kloss.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Jennifer Kloss »

Everything is possible. But this is a little difficult. No doubt US is losing relationships with other countries. But still they are the superpower.
Mercypls
Currently Reading: A Dangerous Road
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mercypls »

We all know that nothing last forever. It's just a matter of time and that great state will be replaced
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Judging by the current world geopolitical trends, it would be ignorant to assume that the United States will forever reign supreme. I, therefore think that the world presented by Gariffo is a possibility and the masses should prepare for it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”