Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Technological advancements

Post by kdstrack »

Forty years is a blink of the eye for technology. Remember the first desktop computer? Now we wear our computer on our wrist! We have conversations with our computers. (Alexa, find...). We also have self-driving vehicles, and soon this technology will be applied to planes. The army supposedly has been working on the invisibility shield for planes. So, it seems like a great deal of the technology is already here or being worked on. The danger lies in who is controlling the technology. Will the internet always be free? Will government mandate self-driving cars and them control their use? I do not see danger in the technology, but in who manages to gain control over their use? Who knows how far these things will have advanced in 40 years? We are already using most of them.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Considering the fact that Apple watches exist, I would say that Sliver's watch is plausible along with AI that can think.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

Since technological growth tends to be exponential, I think much of the technology in the book is actually a possibility within the next 40 years.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

40 years is a very long time when it comes to technology. Things are being developed right now that would blow our minds if we knew about them. Just think about how computers have progressed in a short 30 years. So my answer to this is never say never, intelligent machines might actually be a possibility in 40 years.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

sanjus wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:54 Franklin is a imaginary character and it is very difficult to get such on board computer even in future because complexities will multiply as technology advances. It is only good if robots stay as slaves because if they are to become masters entire purpose of making them is defeated.
Cound't agree any less with your point.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

When you think about how far we’ve come in the last forty years, I don’t think it's too much of a stretch to say that technology will be advancing even faster in the next forty. Artificial intelligence can’t be too far off.
kimcha06
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by kimcha06 »

I also agree with you. This is not impossible especially now a days technology become more in demand.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Autonomous Artificial intelligence will be available in the next few decades possibly two or three hence achievable according to the book. Also personalized advertisements are already being used like in the case of the American election. This shows that much of it will be achieved if not all of it.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

While this is a terrible and shudder technological idea, the unfortunate thing is that 40 years is such a long period for such advancements to be achieved. Come to think of it, just a few years ago mobile phones were a thing of the future.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Frankilins abilities don't sound too far fetched. Self-driving is completely a thing and AI-s are close. With a few decades and more importantly two full generations of inventors achieving a high level of reinforced intelligence or even AI that is capable of making already quite complex decisions should be possible. Another matter is if they would be widely available and in private use.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I believe there would be huge technological advancements in the future.I won't rule out that of the onboard computer.
kimcha06
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by kimcha06 »

Nothing is impossible. That is the real world now. Who knows? This book very in right time to read.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
This is true. The advancement is already taking place. The place of morality should definitely be taken into consideration.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kimcha06 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 13:25 Nothing is impossible. That is the real world now. Who knows? This book very in right time to read.
It is true that nothing is impossible, especially in the world of technology. Almost everything that mankind has ever thought of is coming to reality.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Kibetious wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:43
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
This is true. The advancement is already taking place. The place of morality should definitely be taken into consideration.
Well the moral and safety issues are the main things, aren't they? Safety in the sense of Martix, etc. Is it wise to create thinking creatures who are possibly way better at evolution than we are? I love how Asimov brought this up and thought it through already decades ago with the three laws of robotics.
The ethical issue, of course, is that when the mind is sentient do we still have a right to expect obedience and servitude from it? The logical answer is obviously no, but then what is even the point of creating AI?

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”