Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I hate reading/watching these kind of stories because it feels like it’s sort of always the same just different versions of the story.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

bruin wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 17:03 Wall-E is one of my favorite movies because it shows how "mindless people go about their everyday lives without much stimulation." I did think about it and was surprised when you posted this because I like to make references to the movie often, but most people don't know what I am talking about. I don't think there are many similarities but it did come to mind.
It's always fun to make connections. Even when they are little :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
DebWisco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DebWisco »

Blanka Walter wrote: "I have never read a book before about corporations ruling America, and the only place I can think of seeing something vaguely similar was in Wall-E."

Check out the TV series "Continuum". It ran from 2012-2015. It's the underlying reason for the time travel to take place. To squash the big corporation government from ever ruling. And if we keep up the pace we're going we won't have to read about it in a book or see it on the screen because we'll be living it. We're already living it. Not to fullest extent but we're living it. And people are becoming mindless electronic idiots and garbage is overtaking the world. The only thing is we don't have the ending to this story yet. Stay tuned. And please do your part for it to be a happy ending!
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

Well, I believe both World Inc. and Wall-E both have the same tropes in them, being science fiction and all they share similarities and with that, I would agree that they do in fact have similar story elements to them. I really like how you pointed out the connections!
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

Yeah, the citizenry are mindless about what goes on in the society and are concerned about their daily activities. They are mindless on what goes on in their governments.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

daydreaming reader wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:52
Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:00 I know that the two stories couldn't be more different, but I couldn't help noticing some big similarities between World Incorporated and the Pixar film Wall-E.
In both, the big corporations take over, and the somewhat mindless people go about their everyday lives without much stimulation.
Did anyone else notice a slight connection between the two? Was there anything else from the book that shared themes from Wall-E?
This is exactly what I thought of when I first read the synopsis.
I think it comes down to the route that our world/society is going... We are valuing plants less and less, but there are some people who are trying to reverse it (yay for The Loraxes of the world!). It is difficult not to provide commentary on the state of technology and our complex relationship with it.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Yes-- the underlying theme is probably similar! But quite a few books and movies have found this idea inspiring and interesting enough to talk about- so a few similarities would be unavoidable! Totally different stories though!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Yes, it's true. It also reminds me of another book I've read in the past "The Last Book in the Universe".
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I think Wall-E was more a critique of the consumers while World, Inc was blaming the corporations. I think WallE is more correct in its judgment.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I have to admit, WALL-E came to my mind as well. Of course there are stark differences, but what struck me in World Inc. and WALL-E is how the vast majority of society simply moves through their pre-ordained lives without giving goals, purpose, or freedom any thought. I suppose some people enjoy having everything planned out for them, but one point of both the book and the movie is that there is much more to life than simply moving through it.
Bon0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bon0 »

That's interesting. I never thought of it that way. Besides, they are the same genre.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

That's a very interesting thought! I would love to know more about the 'normal' people who are just going about their everyday lives whilst all of this is going on. I wonder if they are zombie-like (similar to Wall-E) or if they feel that they are consciously making the choice to work for a support these supercorporations.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Post by Ann10 »

WALL-E is an outsider from the start of the movie. Agent Sliver becomes an outside after he rescues Kelly. He starts seeing the world around him through the eyes of an observer.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I've only read reviews for World Inc, I remember Wall-E and can see why you would draw comparisons--interesting thought.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

I see what you might mean. The fact that there are more differences says it is not at all alike. This book may just have the general concept of robot dependent humans.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”