Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I agree, corporations are taking over various government. Some governments are mere puppets of multi billions corporations.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Definitely a good observation, both worlds were run by corporations. One ditched Earth and moved to space though which like you said makes them totally different too.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I also noticed the connection. Obviously Wall-E is more hopeful, where World, Incorporated has a more hardened view of the world.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

There are some similarities. It is a controlled society. Big Government runs everything. The holographic advertisements are everywhere. Both have the voice controlled computers. Both reinforce the message that being an individual is bad, uniformity is good. - With movies like this geared toward children, we may have this type of society sooner than we think.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 16:42 There are some similarities. It is a controlled society. Big Government runs everything. The holographic advertisements are everywhere. Both have the voice controlled computers. Both reinforce the message that being an individual is bad, uniformity is good. - With movies like this geared toward children, we may have this type of society sooner than we think.
That’s actually a really good point. It’s also so much easier to target kids these days because of the amount of time they spend online.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The similarity is the precedence of private enterprise over public interest. The private corporations, for example, exist more for private gratification as opposed to the public interest.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

There are some subtle similarities that I have noticed, but most all science fiction books have overlapping themes, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:00 I know that the two stories couldn't be more different, but I couldn't help noticing some big similarities between World Incorporated and the Pixar film Wall-E.
In both, the big corporations take over, and the somewhat mindless people go about their everyday lives without much stimulation.
Did anyone else notice a slight connection between the two? Was there anything else from the book that shared themes from Wall-E?
Quite an observation. Most futuristic novels often appear to share some similar themes given the trend of corporations getting stronger and stronger than most governments.
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

This is a very common sci fi trope. I try to avoid resding and writing these types of stories.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

This is the second forum where I have read and book and have had someone compare it to Wall-E. I just don't get it. Wall-E wasn't even that great of an experience. I have to say that Wall-E didn't even cross my mind during this book or any other...probably not even Wall-E.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I felt the same way, though, as others have mentioned, it is bound to happen in similar genres
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Yeah, definitely some similarities with the big corporations running the world and the citizens existing in a repressed state, almost as automatons.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't read this book yet, but knowing there are similarities between it and the movie makes me interested in it. It is something that the big corporations take over. I like when you can compare/contrast a book to another book or movie.
Mac :techie-reference:
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I didn't pay attention to that until it was mentioned, but now I can see some similarities
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Wall-E is one of my favorite movies because it shows how "mindless people go about their everyday lives without much stimulation." I did think about it and was surprised when you posted this because I like to make references to the movie often, but most people don't know what I am talking about. I don't think there are many similarities but it did come to mind.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”